CAD E200 mic question

• Members

I have one of these boat anchors. I happen to love the sounds I get from it. It is heavy though. But onto my question. I'm setting up to record a 3 pc band in stereo with a blumlein pair. I was gonna purchase another E200 and set them in figure 8 to do the job. However, it seems that after some research that the blumlein setup requires a true figure 8 pattern. See the E200 has 2 small diaphragm in it, and by virtue of electronics is turned into a figure 8 pattern. Actually it turns out the E200 design of two diapragms was inspired by the blumlein concept but its only mono.

So my question is; Will two of these mics work very well in blumlein or will there be a bunch goofy phasing as a result of there being four actual diapragms working in a whatever phase relationships to accomplish the task of creating two figure 8 patterns?

Lastly does anybody have any info on where to get a stand to accomodate a blumlein pair I'm not having any luck finding any.

I imagine the E200's can't be all that expensive used... if you want to start experimenting with a Blumlein pair and already have a E200, then that's probably your cheapest avenue. But ribbons are nice when you have the funds. :)

IIRC, the E200's use two capsules, back to back, instead of a true dual diaphragm capsule. Despite the large size of the mic body, they're not large capsules either, but more midsized... again, I'm going on memory, and it's been a long time since I looked at the lit. :o

Are you going Ebay hunting, or do you know some place local where you can find a used E200? And what were you planning on recording with the Blumlein pair?

• Members

Yeah I'm an ebayaholic. I just picked up a another E200 last night for 179.00. Thanks for your advice it definitely was the right economic decision. Now I'm trying to find a mic positioner. But I'm not finding anything except for the very expensive AEA smp stands. What do you use for mounting?

As far as recording goes. I intend to try it in alot of situations. Stereo Bed track for the whole band, as well as Acoustic guitar, piano, sitar, xylphone, percussion kits, etc.

• Moderators

Interesting Equitek facts...

1. Harvey Gerst designed this mic.

2. The E300 is Jonatha Brooke's favorite vocal mic.

I've got an Equitek II also, but haven't used it in years... I'm going to try it on the next female singer we get in.

MG

• Members

Good stuff! I'll keep my eyes open for the E200 then. All I've got now is the E100 I started out with back in '98. I used it to track all the percussion you hear on my project in the link in my sig. Notably, check out how it handled the cymbal. ...and this is thru a Peavey mic pre!

Interesting Equitek facts...

1. Harvey Gerst designed this mic.

Wow - I did not know that! Thanks for passing that along Mark. :cool:

I've got an Equitek II also, but haven't used it in years... I'm going to try it on the next female singer we get in.

MG

I have not used mine for a while either, but it's been more recent than that. ;) I used to use them on BGV's quite a bit too....

What do you use for mounting?

I've got these stand mounts for them... not a shock mount, but kind of a pivoting arm kind of thing - about 6" long or so, that lets you angle them relative to the mic stand.

• Members

A pair of these from On Stage will work well too. You'll need the shock mounts.

373625.jpg

There are some shorter flat ones available as well but I can't remember who makes them. I have a pair of them as well as the type in the picture.

Jimbroni, that stand will work fine for coincident pairs with "pencil" microphones such as the AT4041's, and near coincident pairs with your E200's, but isn't ideal for Blumlein. For that, I just use two stands. If you mount one E200 on a straight stand (using the bottom mic mount screws on the mic itself) and put the second mic on a boom stand, using that pivoting arm, you should be able to easily place the second mic directly above the first one, and position it properly. :)

• Members

Thanks for all the input guys. As far as the stand goes I was hoping to avoid using two mike stands. I think I can mount the tree vertically instead of horizontally to get the blumlein setup. But I guess I'll find out.

I'm not sure about coincedent pairs, I haven't heard that term before. Is that like X-Y or ORTF?

"Coincident pairs" simply means that the capsules are placed as close together as possible. Examples would be an XY or Blumlein pair. A near coincident pair would be where the mikes are closer together than with something like an AB (spaced) pair, but not as close together as a coincident pair. ORTF would be a good example or a near coincident pair. :)

Archived