• Members

I asked a similar question in the recording forum but didn't really get much useful feedback so I'll try here. :)

I have a hobbyist studio and want to have some better mics but don't need to have a huge arsonal. I'm seeking any personal experience with the RE20 for singing vocals, not so much for spoken word. I have a few other applications where I think the RE20 would be enough of an improvement to justify the cost but I'd love to get a mic that would do a good job on vocals also.

Mainly I just record my own band and the singer has a classical music voice with lots of projection, not a rock voice. I'm hoping to use the mic (RE20 or any other recommendation) for bass amp and kick drum also although the bass amp is really more of a practice amp (Peavey Basic 60). We don't have a bass player and I do the role in the studio. The amp can put out a good enough tone for our use but I'm having trouble capturing it (tried direct and Beta52A together but still not impressed). Currently we record vocals with an AT4040, kick and bass with the Beta52A.

From what I gather the RE20 would be better than a SM7b or a MD421 for all applications.

Any thoughts?

• Moderators

I love using my RE20.

I use it for all types of voices and it excels. It takes eq really well like a ribbon does due to the fact that there is no peak. That baby's flat. Get right up on it if you need and it remains so. No proximity effect. And it's a cardiod. That combo of traits minimizes the room if you need to.

Then there's the tone. It doesn't have that U47 classic goodness true... but it's strenths are what it doesn't have. No brittleness. No boomyness. Picture Stevie Wonder and Bonnie Raitt to get a picture of what the mic sounds like.

Now put it on kick. It isn't a, "Oh my God, we don't need eq!" mic at all. It does require a scoop at 350 and a bump at 60 and 4k. But when it's done you think, "I've heard that sound before and I like it!

On a bass amp. Growl city, but not too much growl. The mic has character to spare too. It's hard to explain what it is about it's midrange I like. But I like it!

It's a classic, man!

• Members

Oh... and extra bonus. If someone shows with a D6 or a D12 or whatever they like on kick, put your RE20 on the floor tom. Huge goodness.

I have done that...you are correct, it gets a really nice complimentary sound with a D112 on kick.

• Members

Pick up "Ram" by Paul McCartney. The vocals have this really smooth quality about them and he's pictured in the liner notes singing through one. I've not used one either but one of my best friends has used one a bunch and he sounds just like him on the recordings I've heard. It's a fine quality high class mic, that's for sure.

• Members

I've used it for radio broadcasting spoken word, but bot for sung vocals. It sounds nice. Relatively low output so you need gain at the preamp, but it is a nice sounding mic from what I remember.

the Heil PR-40 is supposed to be the same vibe but nicer depending on who you talk too and less expensive. never used one, but held one and it seems very solidly built.

Archived