How do you get realistic drum sounds without a real drummer?

• Members

Something else to consider is post-processing of the performance. You can perform the drums on pads, change up the sounds on playback, etc., etc.

When I get to mixing, I always reduce the parts to audio (like a multi-mic'ed kit with a
really, really
good isolation
:D
) and then process the audio tracks as I would a recorded drum track.

Here's some remedies for the "machine gun" effect.

#1 - The good electronic drum modules have multi sampled hits - left hand/right hand, different strike dynamics. Use them. It takes more time to set up the parts, but think like a drummer and use different hit samples instead of the same sample at different MIDI velocities.

#2 - If you don't have multi-samples, apply a gentle envelope filter or flange without feedback to modulate the sound a little bit. Subtle is the key, not jet plane noises superimposed, but a gentle variation blended in.

+1

Forgot to mention the multi-samples. I have quite a few multi-sampled samples that I used in conjunction with Drumagog, really makes a world of difference sometimes.

• Members

Memory is an issue. I use BFD. If I had 16GB of memory, I could use the 128 velocity layer version. But that would require moving to 64 bit. So I have to use the 40 layer version, which of course does limit the level of expressiveness.

Dean,

It sounds like you're trying to load all your samples into RAM. BFD is designed to stream it's samples.. and we easily can play back 250 velocity levels with 2GB of RAM.

Rail

• Members

Oh, no I'm not trying to load them into memory or anything, but a large project, plus all the overhead of BFD, eats up a lot of memory even with the 40 sample layers and pushes the system hard. I already ran out of memory with 2GB and couldn't add any more tracks or plugs or do a 64 bit mixdown, so I upped the system to 4GB and enabled the /3GB flag on the OS and SONAR executable.

But, as a practical matter, I don't think I could handle the 128 layer version at this point, even with a 4GB system (of which maybe 3.25 is available to SONAR.) Even if the memory was sufficient, I think that the requirement of shuffling even more samples in and out of memory and caching more would be too much load. If all I was doing was BFD, I'd probably be fine, but it's BFD All (which is what, 12 tracks with lots of processing and four or five busses with more processing), plus say another 15 tracks with a bunch more processing, and some of which are large soft synths like Dim Pro, f/x busses with three convolution IRs, delay, doubler, and other stuff, and the need to maintain around just a few ms of latency through the DAW for tracking purposes. I just don't think it would be very practical to throw the 128 layer version into that mix.

• Members

Does anybody else out there use Drumsite? I've found that it does a great job of getting some decently realistic sounds, but it helps if you go through and alter your hit samples, especially on snare rolls or tom fills. Another thing I've done with that program is since it gives you the option to export a song to .wav to import into another program, I'll mute out all my other drums and get just a snare track, for example, or my hi tom, or kick, on a single track, just as if I had recorded them live to their own track - then I can apply EQ and effects individually. Just a thought, I suppose.

• Members

Does anybody else out there use Drumsite? I've found that it does a great job of getting some decently realistic sounds, but it helps if you go through and alter your hit samples, especially on snare rolls or tom fills. Another thing I've done with that program is since it gives you the option to export a song to .wav to import into another program, I'll mute out all my other drums and get just a snare track, for example, or my hi tom, or kick, on a single track, just as if I had recorded them live to their own track - then I can apply EQ and effects individually. Just a thought, I suppose.

Drumsite? I googled this and couldn't find anything. Do explain.

• Members

I finally got around to playing around with one of the BFD expansion packs, which I couldn't have used until I got my new 4GB machine set up. Definitely it makes a big difference. With all the extra layers, and they are better recorded, particularly the room and overhead mics, it sounds way better. I'd bought the Jazz&Funk pack, but after messing around with it, it's not really the one that is best for my needs, so I just ordered the Deluxe pack which are more rock oriented but with the same improvements.

Archived