Any beat masters around for advice?

• Members

It's been a long while here, since I 've worked with a rap artist. The session was booked today, but he got here with a CD that was too compressed to even consider using. I'm rescheduling him tomorrow and to bring the keyboard he created it on. That way I can cut better tracks at 24/88.2 (the normal I like to work at).

Just could use a little bit of young dudes advice as to any extra tricks (esp. regarding the super low end). And any other tricks since this isn't my normal area of experience.

Thanks,

Blas

• Members

maybe he should bring a few cd's too---examples of artists he wants his stuff to sound similar to. this should give you a good template to work with EQ-wise. although using sub-bass is something I'm pretty experienced with, I think a good bassline and sound should be present and punchy just as a regular bass guitar would. generally electronic and hip hop artists work with headphones too, which I've found make it easy to make things too low-ended.

• Members

I think one of the common tricks is to layer kicks so you get some of the impact as well as some of that seemingly sub-wooferish 808 kick thing as well.

I'm so not hip-hop, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I'd also kick up the crunk...big-ass sawtooth basslines, that kind of thing. That always makes stuff sound big and fat. No, I'm not going to spell "fat" with a "p". It's "fat" as in "girth".

I'm saying all this crud and I don't even know what kind of hip-hop you're doing or any of that...I'll leave this post here just in case it's actually useful to you... :D

• Members

heres a tip: get the sonalksis tbk3 for your beats. the presets are terrible but if you spend 5 minutes learning the thing....its really amazing. itl take the beat, squash it, then pump dynamics in to it. i have a ton of software compressors from waves, logic, t-racks, and others and i use the tbk3 on every electronic beat i make now. try the demo.

• Members

After you do what these guys said, get a steaming funk sample and bring that {censored} to life. Just cheat and grab a nugget from some James Brown classic. It's worth the cut with James Brown's estate. The Boss would want his bread, man.

:thu:

+1 I use a Hammerhead to make the breakbeats. You can use the breakbeats library that can be downloaded in the alternate sounds section (.hub files). The beat can export to WAV......The best part: Its free

http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

I reinforce the beat I program with a ghosted breakbeat behind it

• Members

I boost 30k on both kicks and bass with a Pultec emulation on a Liquid mix. In hard rap separation is your enemy because it softens things quite a bit. Liquid mix is also a friend to old synths because it adds quite a bit of coloration. You want your driving elements right in the middle. Hard panned hats and snares is a no no also, you want those in the middle too. About the only thing safe to pan is background vocals, and only if you have mulitple tracks of them. If you have high or high mid ambient single note parts try automating the panning on them, but any kind of hard chords keep in the middle.

Your main challenge after that should be suppressing laughter.

Archived