Which PRS have the thinnest necks?

Alchemist

• Members

Checked out some PRS today... very nice:thu: ... still in my search for my next guitar... the front runner is still a USA flametop DK1... but those PRS were nice.

Now I'm not saying I'm gonna go out and buy a PRS, but I'm not saying I'm not going to get one either:D . Things I am looking for is a THIN neck (that is a must), the other must is a nice flame top (lame and irrelevant I know, but this will be my last guitar for the next year or so, so I am going to get something fancy).

So, which ones fit the bill? 22 or 24 fret, does not really matter, bolt on or set is irrelevant too. No turds in flight though, and I could care less about a 10 top.

So which one am I looking for if I was to look for one?:)

• Members

There are three different neck sizes

Regular

Wide Thin

Wide Thick

The first is a rare find. The thin ones usually come on the 24 fret guitars. And the thick on the 22.

But not all 24 have thin, and not all 22 have the thick.

I've had both WIDE THICK and WIDE THIN PRS guitar necks. And I like them both.

If you are looking for a shredder neck however, Wide This is the way to go.

I went from a Ibanez wizard neck to a wide thin PRS neck with no problems.

• Members

Originally posted by TomVanDeven

If you want a thin neck only, why dont you just buy another shredder guitar?..

I'd bet you can get one with a flamey maple top that'd look just as nice.

Wide-thin is your only option if you're looking to go PRS.

Because I like to entertain all options:)

• Members

Thanks for the info guys:) I'll have to hit up a few more stores, see whats out there. I'm in no rush to make a decision. I am still mostly leaning towards the Jackson, but like I said, theres no harm in researching more guitars to make sure I end up with my ideal one:)

• Members

We make guitars with both glued-in (not neck through) and bolt-on necks. The models with glued-in necks include the Customs, Standards, Santanas, all McCarty models including the Hollowbodies and all Dragons and Private Stock models. Bolt-on models include CE 22 and CE 24 and the Swamp Ash Special.

It is important to know that there is no difference in the amount of sustain from either design, as the neck joint is exactly the same, but each has its own characteristic tone and feel.

Our glued-in necks are typically mahogany glued to a mahogany body or mahogany glued to a maple top/mahogany back body.

Our bolt-on necks are made from rock maple with a rosewood or maple fretboard. The dense and more rigid maple neck gives the guitar more of a "live" sound accentuating the highs and midrange alike.

Please keep in mind that all PRS Guitars are the exact same build quality and our bolt-on neck guitars are no exception. They are designed to give a very specific tone. Unlike most bolt-on neck guitars, a PRS gives access to all frets without an intrusive heel joint.

We also make a number of instruments with solid East Indian Rosewood necks or Brazilian Rosewood necks. Guitars fitted with these necks tend to have a loud piano-like tone with rich even harmonics over the entire range.

Current Neck Profiles

The Regular neck is a comfortable neck that is 1/32 narrower and not quite as thick front to back as our Wide Fat neck. It is currently only available on the Custom and Standard 24.

The Wide Thin neck has a thinner profile front to back than the Wide Fat. This neck is available on many of our 22 and 24 fret models.

The Wide Fat neck only available on 22 fret models, has the same nut width as the Wide Thin neck but has a big comfortable profile, similar to our Regular neck. Because of its strength and longer

• Members

I was at the guitar store today

tried a cranked bassman :love:

I saw the PRSs on the wall

looked very nice, I like how they can pull off weird colors

whereas Gibson's cant

I like the green and blue

and I like the flames that go from like black to the color

but IMO, PRSs need birds and 24 frets

I dont think a McCarty is the thing you want, as you already have an LP, but who knows, maybe you'll find one you like

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Thanks for the info guys:) I'll have to hit up a few more stores, see whats out there. I'm in no rush to make a decision. I am still mostly leaning towards the Jackson, but like I said, theres no harm in researching more guitars to make sure I end up with my ideal one:)

My Jackson SL1 Soloist has a much thinner neck than my PRS Custom 24. Here is a photo comparing them.

jacson_vs_prs.jpg

• Members

I'd be leaning more towards the bolt-on I am thinking, because I prefer the maple neck. I saw a nice one that caught my eye today.... a very nice cherry burst with a very tight flame. Like I said, I will have to try more out, but this info does narrow down what I am looking for. Thanks again:)

• Members

Originally posted by guitarlady

My Jackson SL1 Soloist has a much thinner neck than my PRS Custom 24. Here is a photo comparing them.

jacson_vs_prs.jpg

Yeah, there is an obvious difference, and in all honesty I do like the Jackson a bit more.... but theres no harm in shopping around some more. I'll just say, the PRS's I saw today were nice enough to get me to consider one. So I'm just weighing out my options.:)

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

We make guitars with both glued-in (not neck through) and bolt-on necks. The models with glued-in necks include the Customs, Standards, Santanas, all McCarty models including the Hollowbodies and all Dragons and Private Stock models. Bolt-on models include CE 22 and CE 24 and the Swamp Ash Special.

It is important to know that there is no difference in the amount of sustain from either design, as the neck joint is exactly the same, but each has its own characteristic tone and feel.

Our glued-in necks are typically mahogany glued to a mahogany body or mahogany glued to a maple top/mahogany back body.

Our bolt-on necks are made from rock maple with a rosewood or maple fretboard. The dense and more rigid maple neck gives the guitar more of a "live" sound accentuating the highs and midrange alike.

Please keep in mind that all PRS Guitars are the exact same build quality and our bolt-on neck guitars are no exception. They are designed to give a very specific tone. Unlike most bolt-on neck guitars, a PRS gives access to all frets without an intrusive heel joint.

We also make a number of instruments with solid East Indian Rosewood necks or Brazilian Rosewood necks. Guitars fitted with these necks tend to have a loud piano-like tone with rich even harmonics over the entire range.

Current Neck Profiles

The Regular neck is a comfortable neck that is 1/32 narrower and not quite as thick front to back as our Wide Fat neck. It is currently only available on the Custom and Standard 24.

The Wide Thin neck has a thinner profile front to back than the Wide Fat. This neck is available on many of our 22 and 24 fret models.

The Wide Fat neck only available on 22 fret models, has the same nut width as the Wide Thin neck but has a big comfortable profile, similar to our Regular neck. Because of its strength and longer

• Members

Originally posted by leopardstar

well there you have it al any more questions:freak:

nope, thats all I needed:D Now I gotta hit up as many stores as I can in the next few weeks to see if I can find any that outplayed the Jackson DK1 (which is unfortunately sold so I would have to order one, which is cool, but it has prompted me to try more guitars out before commiting to the order):)

• Members

Originally posted by Dean Medlock

A wide-thin CE-24 is what you're looking for if you're wanting a maple neck...or you might also consider the Swamp Ash Special...they also come with wide-thin maple necks.

I was looking at those, do they come in flame tops? Yes its silly I know but I've imposed that rule because its the only thing I am really lacking in my rig.:(

• Members

Originally posted by guitarlady

The PRS is at a bad angle to compare.

And if he REALLY wants a thin neck. Get a Ibanez with a Wizard neck.

Thinnest neck around.

• Members

I'd be leaning more towards the bolt-on I am thinking, because I prefer the maple neck. I saw a nice one that caught my eye today.... a very nice cherry burst with a very tight flame. Like I said, I will have to try more out, but this info does narrow down what I am looking for. Thanks again:)

PRS makes a CE model that is just that. I used to own one. Loved it.

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

The PRS is at a bad angle to compare.

And if he REALLY wants a thin neck. Get a Ibanez with a Wizard neck.

Thinnest neck around.

I have an RG570, perfect thin neck. Not looking to replace it, just adding one more to my guitar collection thats all:)

• Members

I was looking at those, do they come in flame tops? Yes its silly I know but I've imposed that rule because its the only thing I am really lacking in my rig.
:(

Yes, you get a flame top with transparent CE-24's...but you won't get a 10-top.

Don't let that deter you...my Custom 22 doesn't have a 10-top, but you'd never know it doesn't by looking at it.

bluematteocu22.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Dean Medlock

Yes, you get a flame top with transparent CE-24's...but you won't get a 10-top.

Don't let that deter you...my Custom 22 doesn't have a 10-top, but you'd never know it doesn't by looking at it.

bluematteocu22.jpg

Very nice:thu:

Archived