Good transparent colors on mahagony

u6crash

• Members

The obvious ones are natural, cherry, and TV yellow. I know blue, green, and purple don't work too great being that the wood is generally redish in color. What other transparent colors look good on it? Anyone ever seen a translucent black over mahagony?

• Members

I have. I saw a PRS trans black on a single cut SE. It looked like pretty much all trans black finishes. Nice, but I prefer trans brown amber or burst on a Mahogany wood, or even a nice trans red. Blacks just don't show as much grain.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

white goes with anything

also i don't know if you can just do a 'tobacco' finish (not tobacco burst) but that might look good

You mean the outside color or what part of the burst? I've often wondred what it would look like to paint a guitar with deep trans red and then do a black burst on the edges. I think Schecter did something that was close, but not quite what I had in mind.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

You mean the outside color or what part of the burst? I've often wondred what it would look like to paint a guitar with deep trans red and then do a black burst on the edges. I think Schecter did something that was close, but not quite what I had in mind.

like towards the edge of the burst where it's that reddish/amber color. i don't know if it'd work on mahogany though.

this is a mahogany tele i made on kasike

picture40hr.png

Archived