VOX Pathfinder Appreciation Thread

GAS Man

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, goody! This thread is back! :)

Originally posted by inHK

yes, i am. I live in an apartment and the only time i usually get to play is at night, often late at night.

From a fellow apartment dweller, with a rommate no less! :thu:

I've noticed that my Pathfinder actually sounds really good at lower volumes, pretty darn convenient for my living situation. Try putting the gain at around 1 o'clock, and then set the tone knobs so that they point towards eachother (Bass at 9 o'clock, Treble at 3), then adjust from there to suit your personal taste. Master volume at around 7 or 8 o'clock. Works for me, despite the fact that my amp is sitting against a wall that I share with my neighbor. Haven't had any complaints.

By the way, which guitar do you like to play through it the most?

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

Oh, goody! This thread is back!
:)

From a fellow apartment dweller, with a rommate no less!
:thu:

I've noticed that my Pathfinder actually sounds really good at lower volumes, pretty darn convenient for my living situation. Try putting the gain at around 1 o'clock, and then set the tone knobs so that they point towards eachother (Bass at 9 o'clock, Treble at 3), then adjust from there to suit your personal taste. Master volume at around 7 or 8 o'clock. Works for me, despite the fact that my amp is sitting against a wall that I share with my neighbor. Haven't had any complaints.

Well I only have one electric and an acoustic. The electric I own is the ESP LTD EC-50.

Good or bad?

• Members

Originally posted by SnowRose

How does the crunch sound on the Pathfinder 15R?

I think it's kind of good and bad at the same time. It produces a lot of harmonic overtones, but it does sound a bit harsh to me as well.

I think the Pathfinder really excels on its clean tones. It's sort of a marvel of economic sweet tone in that regard. For a good OD tone, I'd probably still rather stick an Ibanez TS9 in front of it. But remembering that it is a practice amp, it's OD tones are passable. Plus with it's variable drive control and crunch switch, it's got some room to dial in quite a bit of variation to its OD tone.

• Members

Hm, well I can always add a crunch pedal and distort the clean channel right? Something like the Hotcake?

Additionally, I was thinking of buying a used VOX AD212 so when I go for a small gig, I can easily amplify my sound if there is no PA system. Kind of like a backyard gig for friends and family.

Thoughts?

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

Yes, I concur!

I'd agree with that too. Pretty loud and punchy,especially through a good cab. I will say that I am amazed at how full and fat the little 8" 15 watt Vox combos sound,all of them that I've heard. AD15,Pathfinder,and Cambridge.

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

I'd agree with that too. Pretty loud and punchy,especially through a good cab. I will say that I am amazed at how full and fat the little 8" 15 watt Vox combos sound,all of them that I've heard. AD15,Pathfinder,and Cambridge.

And I concur w/ you T-Bone!!;) Just got the AD15VT and I'm amazed that an 8" speaker can sound so full. I've been running my cheapie Arion Tubulator in front of the first 6 models and it sounds amazing, specially on the Tweed model. Never owned a Vox before, but I'm sold. And the AC30TB model, wow!!! :thu:

• Members

I guess one reason that I became really impressed with the Vox Pathfinder is because I also own a Fender Pro Junior. (so 15W SS + 8" cone VS 15W Tube + 10" cone)

And some might flame me for saying this, but I like the cleans a fair amount better on the little Vox which is about a couple hundred less than the Fender. It's just a more resonant tone.

But for OD tone, the Fender wins with a bit more headroom to boot.

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

Oh, goody! This thread is back!
:)

From a fellow apartment dweller, with a rommate no less!
:thu:

I play all three of my guitars though it, pretty much equally. The amp does sound really good at low volumes, that's true. I will give those settings a shot, thanks for the tip.

Archived