Heil Mics anyone??

• Members

BTW, my first application will most likely be female lead vocals. I don't know when I'm going to get to other applications.

I asked the salesman about the PR-40 for kick drums, and the salesman said that he loved it for kicks, and used it outside the kick drum (this is how I typically mic my kick drums as well). I mentioned the RE-20, and he said that he didn't like the RE-20 on kicks very much, and felt that the PR-40 had a much tighter bottom end.

I'm also very excited about the "ribbon mic"-like quality, and the slight "compression" of transients like a ribbon might do. That's exactly the sort of thing that interests me.

• Members

Believe it or not the PR-40 has a very "U47"ish quality on the acoustic guitar. It takes a bit of work to get it right with placement and maybe some eq but it has that sound character.

The other great things about these mikes is that they are good for singer/player acoustic guitar situations because of the rejection they have which you don't get with condensers.

If you go here http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=104013385

and listen to "bottleneck to wire", I recorded him doing that with 2 pr-40s one on vox one on guitar live. Now that old Gibson seriously lacked bottom mid and i had to struggle a bit with the tone and it ended up a bit thin, but the clarity is there. The cello was recorded with a u47.

• Members

I play rock music, and have tried the SM-57 for micing and wasnt happy withy the results. It sounded very tinny - nothing like what I was hearing standing in front of the cab. I almost bought a PR-30 but was a little hesitant on the price. Would this mic be good for recording rock music on a 4x12 cab? How should I position it to get the best bass responce?

~Matt

• Members

I definitely don't find the 57 to be tinny sounding. I think that the 57 reacts very differently to mic preamps, perhaps more so than a lot of other mics that I have. When I had Mackie mic preamps, I never found the 57 terribly inspiring. With RNPs and the Neve Portico, I have a new-found love of 57s on guitar cabs.

If you want bass response, mic the speaker farther out by the rim, by the surround if need be. Start by slowly bringing the mic farther and farther out from the center of the speaker and you'll hear the bass response increase. I'm talking about the close mic here.

I usually use two mics, one up close and the other several feet from the amp. The first one is typically a dynamic, and the second, typically an LDC.

• Members

Well, I have to politely disagree with all the positive opinions on the Heil mics. Have used the 20 and the 30. Found some places where the 20 is useful, but I can't stand the PR30. Esp. on vocals - harsh, thin, sibilant. Ah well. What can you say when it comes to taste? I'm sure in the hands of the right engineer, a PR30 on the right instrument in the right mix would sound great to my ears. In fact, I bet this has already been the case, considering how popular these mics are. But I really don't see these things toppling 57s, 421s, and RE20s. Not based on how my ears hear em.

• Members

Well, I have to politely disagree with all the positive opinions on the Heil mics. Have used the 20 and the 30. Found some places where the 20 is useful, but I can't stand the PR30. Esp. on vocals - harsh, thin, sibilant.

Wow... that's exactly the opposite quality I'd ascribe to the 30, although I've found the 20 to sound that way at times. :lol: I haven't actually tried the 30 on vocals though, as mentioned, but it sure does sound great on drums, and if it were overly harsh I can't imagine that I'd like it for drums.

So who knows.

But I really don't see these things toppling 57s, 421s, and RE20s.

I don't think the point is to "topple" those other mics. I still love all of the above mics, I just think the Heils do as good a job or better in certain applications. So I am happy to have the Heils in addition to those I already own. Rarely does any one mic sound good in every application, but some mics sound incredible in one or two specific applications and that makes them well worth having, especially if they aren't very expensive.

• Members

And he winds up , here's the pitch , ooh.. that's a nasty curve ball !!!!:poke:

http://www.kelaudio.com/hm2d.html

Bought this !! just as the Heil proports to be a dynamic with condensor qualities ( and I have read a reviewer who stated that the 30 and 40 were a little more sizzly than a SM7b) This KEL is a condensor that proports to have dynamic qualities ( it's so confusing!!)

Any how , it's a little less wide of a cardiod and comes with a mount to so I had to try it at this price !!!!

I'll have a review in a month our so as I 'm tracking some songs and will be ready to do vocals then !

Cheers:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cool Ken - please let us know what you think once you get a chance to use them for a bit.
:wave:

I set up two mics - my Lawson L251 and the Heil PR-30 - for a vocal session with a female vocalist over the weekend, both going through a Neve Portico mic preamp and then through Apogee Rosetta 800 converters, monitoring through Adam P11As.

The first song we did was sort of an upbeat ballad (is that the same as a giant pygmy?). The vocals needed to have a lot of air and breathiness, and everyone immediately chose the Lawson over the Heil. The Heil had a great deal of warmth, though, and may work for other vocals. It just didn't suit this particular application. I also don't see how this mic could possibly be considered "harsh, thin, or sibilant."

I have a feeling the Heil probably ruuuules for loud rock vocals or people with excessive sibilance or thin voices. Anyway, I'm going to try it again with another female vocalist with a relatively thin voice this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

• Members

I play rock music, and have tried the SM-57 for micing and wasnt happy withy the results. It sounded very tinny - nothing like what I was hearing standing in front of the cab. I almost bought a PR-30 but was a little hesitant on the price. Would this mic be good for recording rock music on a 4x12 cab? How should I position it to get the best bass responce?

~Matt

For you or anyone else in the thread that's interested in hearing the Heil on some heavier guitar sounds do a search for the user name DeathMonkey and find his clips. They sound pretty damn good for a small project studio to my ears, but than again I'm no pro so YMMV.

• Members

Something i find really useful about the pr40 is that it has a different character on the top end than the 421 but it sticks out the same great way. If you listen to old Scorpions recordings like Lovedrive, their guitars have a real cool bitey top end. I would bet money the guitars were recorded using 421s and that is largely why they sound like that (a sound i love btw). I did a project with a heavy metal band (Nemesis) and the 2 guitarists liked to solo back to back so i needed to make them sound a bit different from one another. I used the PR40 exclusively for one of the players' solos and it has such great character and contrast to the other which was a R84 and U67 on the cone blended.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I love the PR30 on guitar amps, and use it when I can. The PR40 has now become my go-to kick mic both live and studio, love it. THe nice thing about the Heil mics is that they seem to work well on any source..which is perhaps kind of a good dynamic mic's traits anyhow. I could take the PR30 and use it on any source...and have.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just used Heil mics for a drums and bass. P30 for overhead, another P30 on the bass, and a P40 on the kick drum. Damn, these mics are good. I didn't have to move them around too much to get a really good sound. This is my new go-to kick drum mic. I'm definitely gonna be leaning heavily on these mics from now on for all sorts of things. Great sound at a great price. The whole band was quite impressed with the sound.

Archived