vox valvetronix sounds like ass with a tele

boy#152

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And it's the "if you don't like this amp, you must be too stupid to turn knobs" attitude that comes off as childish and snobby.

Originally posted by machine gunner

What dynamics are you speaking of? Strange- I can seem to get my playing dynamics to come through with great results on this amp, and I know a lot of other people can too. Remember- it's NOT an expensive boutique amp, it's a budget amp that does a great job of getting close to some classic tones IMO. That being said, I think it's the best amp out there in its price range, but if you don't like it that's cool. It's just your "I guess I'm just used to good amps" attitude that comes off as snobby and childish.

• Members

Two things need to be stated in this thread.

They are poked at but not pronounced.

1) There are 2 lines of Valvetronix Amps

The "blue" line is more than twice the price of the ADXXVT line.

So if for example you are buying the 12" speaker w 50 watt amp + DSP + modeling FOR 360 BUCKS!!

2) WHAT THE F@#& DO YOU EXPECT?

I mean you don't get mink lined {censored} for that price.

Having bought one of these for my son, I can admit that I'm not overly thrilled with the tones, and it doesn't live up to normal Vox standards, but for the price, it's still a great value.

But I do think with tweaking this line of amps you can find some very good/useable tones. But I think one of the problems with the AD50VT (and probably the others in this series) will lie with the speaker. I mean these things come with a bottom of the line Celestion. I believe the others are using some lower end Vox cones.

So I've told my kid we're going to put in an 80 watt Weber Chicago I put in my Marshall VS8080 and give that a try in the Vox. It really warmed up that amp and gave it more bottom end, so I'm pretty positive about it helping out the AD50VT as well.

But I often compare the pricing of High Fidelity speakers with guitar amps and puzzle over the disparity. I mean if you go buy a good quality name brand home theater speaker, like say an Infinity, Klipsch, Boston, whatever, you'll pay at least $350 to $500 just for one dumb (non-powered) box with three or so cones screwed into it. I mean I even shelled out $750 for just one center channel speaker! :eek:

So I'm just saying that for some reason we get a lot and expect a lot of quality, and in some cases too much, when it comes to guitar amps as compared to non powered hi fi speakers or HT receivers.

Maybe the analogy isn't perfect, but it's something I ponder. :confused: I mean why is a home theater system so much more expensive than a modeling amp? My Denon receiver alone was a grand. I think the answer is that 1) HT gear has way too much mark up, 2) musicians won't tolerate that kind of pricing. But then on the other hand, a guitar amp is a musical instrument so wouldn't you expect that to be more expensive?

But anyway, I'd still like to purchase a Valvetronix amp for my own use, but I would step up to the blue line but I'm just not sure which model yet. But that line generally receives high praise for its modeling tones. I do have the ToneLab and enjoy playing with that, but I'd like to have a combo as well.

Archived