Chance to possibly uprgrade my mic

• Members

I know this is a pretty vague question as each singer sounds better or worse depending on the mic and preamp combo. Well I got Apogee pre's from the Mini-Me and a Rode NTK. I'm wondering if a Soundelux U-95 would sound better on my voice. If you care to hear me through the Rode NTK with the {censored}ty preamps in the MBOX. myspace.com/newlyformedmindset

Opinions?

• Members

I know this is a pretty vague question as each singer sounds better or worse depending on the mic and preamp combo. Well I got Apogee pre's from the Mini-Me and a Rode NTK. I'm wondering if a Soundelux U-95 would sound better on my voice. If you care to hear me through the Rode NTK with the {censored}ty preamps in the MBOX. myspace.com/newlyformedmindset

Opinions?

Anyone? I might just keep the Rode and upgrade someday when I can afford a Manley Stereo Mic. Atleast my pre's will be clean, the mic still is a good mic, the a/d 's are great, and so is the Push It . Just waiting for my Windows XP software to replace Vista cause the Mini Me isn't compatible. And to Phil and Ustad: I can't wait to hear the TC 350.

• Members

Are you in a position where you could rent a U-95 for a day or two and record a couple tracks so that you can hear how you sound with it, comparted to your Rode? It's probably the best way to go - then you can make an educated decision about whether your better off spending the money on the U-95 or not.

:snax:

• Members

Unfortunately I have yet to find a pro audio dealer near Detroit that rents high end gear. If that were/is the case- I would have much better recordings. I just know a lot of folks on hear think the Rode NTK is annoying in the high end for most singers. Hmmm. My damn Guitar Center even stopped carrying pretty much all high end pro audio and even Mesa Boogie is only at some stores here in MI. I'd love to test them out. Grrrr.

• Members

The NTK is a great sounding mic. Position is crutial, as it is with all vocal recordings. If the recording is too bright/sibilant, sing more over, rather than into the mic, aiming it toward your chin, or even your chest, where the body of the voice is generated through the chest cavity.

Also, change the stock tube to an EH Gold 6922. It will seriously reduce the high end peak at 6Khz, and warm the midbass up more.

• Members

Unfortunately I have yet to find a pro audio dealer near Detroit that rents high end gear. If that were/is the case- I would have much better recordings. I just know a lot of folks on hear think the Rode NTK is annoying in the high end for most singers. Hmmm. My damn Guitar Center even stopped carrying pretty much all high end pro audio and even Mesa Boogie is only at some stores here in MI. I'd love to test them out. Grrrr.

OK. Here's another thought... find a studio in your area with a U-95, and book one hour there. Bring your Rode mic with you; have them fly both of the mics (their U-95 and your NTK) and record a demo vocal track or two, with both of the two mics at the same time through identical mic pres on separate tracks, so that the tracks are identical, except for the mic. At the end of your session, have them burn the two mic tracks to separate CDR tracks, so that you can compare them, either back to back in a CD/DVD player, or in your PC/Mac, and decide if the U-95 is the right choice (and inve$tment) for your voice. :)

• Members

The Rode NTK is not a shabby mic. It may not be perfectly suited for a specific voice, but for most vocalists, it's a good enough mic to get a very strong recording with. It has enough "girth" and "warmth" and all those other good adjectives to suit a lot of vocals. Surely a decent music store will carry mics that are in this price range so that you can compare it with others? Or the above ideas that people have might be good as well. Or you can find a music store that will allow you to purchase a couple of mics and send one back.

• Members

The Rode NTK is not a shabby mic. It may not be perfectly suited for a specific voice, but for most vocalists, it's a good enough mic to get a very strong recording with. It has enough "girth" and "warmth" and all those other good adjectives to suit a lot of vocals. Surely a decent music store will carry mics that are in this price range so that you can compare it with others? Or the above ideas that people have might be good as well. Or you can find a music store that will allow you to purchase a couple of mics and send one back.

I guess what I'm asking Ustad is whether you think with the addition of Ethan's Portable Vocal Booth, the Apogee Mini Me, and the Rode NTK, with a great vocal take that a pro such as you, Phil, or Fletcher. I guess I'm more interested in who wants to mix and master my stuff than level of experience. I doubt Ben Grosse would jump to work with me prior to going platinum. I'm on my way! hahaha:wave:

I own two Soundelux microphones, and have used several others, but not the U-95... but based on my experience with their other microphones, I can only say very positive things about Bock Audio / Soundelux products.

Whether it's better for your voice than an NTK is impossible to say without trying both on your voice... but if someone offered me a straight trade - their U-95 in exchange for my NTK, I'd probably take the deal. After all, I could probably score another NTK for a lot less than a used U-95 would cost. ;)

• Members

I guess what I'm asking Ustad is whether you think with the addition of Ethan's Portable Vocal Booth, the Apogee Mini Me, and the Rode NTK, with a great vocal take that a pro such as you, Phil, or Fletcher. I guess I'm more interested in who wants to mix and master my stuff than level of experience. I doubt Ben Grosse would jump to work with me prior to going platinum. I'm on my way! hahaha:wave:

Depends on your voice, but sure, I believe a good engineer can record a good sounding vocal with a good vocalist with that mic. Like Phil, I'd probably take the U-95 over an NTK, but again, there's killer vocals that are recorded with a 57...depends on the voice.

As mentioned in your previous thread, I do mixing projects. You can PM me if you want. Also, Phil is excellent at mixing. I've heard his excellent sounding work and can vouch for him.

Archived