Started acoustic treatment (DIY info inside).

• Members

Well I suck and forgot my camera when I built these but I promise I will have pictures of these in the process of being constructed very soon. Here is a pic of the first 3 that I have built. I will possibly be doing the other 2 corner traps tomorrow as well as a possibly a few more wall absorbers.

I ran out of wood and time today.

(wall treatment, gooey hand prints compliments of the previous tenant :()

100_0675.jpg

(Corner treatments)

100_0676.jpg

100_0677.jpg

:thu:

Just these 3 treatments have made an immense difference so I can't wait for the whole thing to be done!

• Members

Cool stuff. What do you have inside them? How thick? The corner traps might be even more effective if you raise them up to the ceiling, so that you can take advantage of the three-way corner.

You should take pics of the building process when you do more!

• Members

Cool stuff. What do you have inside them? How thick? The corner traps might be even more effective if you raise them up to the ceiling, so that you can take advantage of the three-way corner.

You should take pics of the building process when you do more!

There's a three-way corner at the floor, too. ;)

Looks good, man! :)

• Members

I'm not nearly done but I remembered to grab my camera and document some more building of these things. There will be more corner treatment when I am done (ceiling corners). There is also going to be quite a bit more wall treatment lol.

Anyhow:

More pics and how to info:

Corner absorber (6'X4'x4") frame, wood is red cedar that I got from my Dad's work (installs fence).

100_0678.jpg

Loaded with OC703:

100_0680.jpg

Measuring out the fabric:

100_0681.jpg

Stapling that {censored} on:

100_0682.jpg

Backside:

100_0685.jpg

Finished length wise:

100_0686.jpg

Now just to do the ends:

100_0687.jpg

Backside done:

100_0688.jpg

Front done:

100_0689.jpg

Top/ends done:

100_0690.jpg

• Members

OC703 (no idea why I took the pic)

100_0691.jpg

How the frames are put together:

100_0695.jpg

Framing nails (so I don't split the wood)

100_0696.jpg

Back at ma studio (for those who were curious as to how I hung them):

Measured 2' down on both sides and 7" down as well:

100_0698.jpg

Picture wire (length was decided by the 7" mark to get them both the same):

100_0699.jpg

Picture hangers installed in the corner:

100_0700.jpg

HUNG! (sorry for that being sideways I must have forgotten to flip it in iphoto):

100_0701.jpg

The 4' long wall ones were hung simular but I strung the picture wire across the frame and just hung it on one wall hook instead of 2 (there not that heavy so it would have been overkill to use 2 anyway)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

fiberglass?

Is that essential 4 soundproofing?

those absorbers must be heavy then

so using just flat wooden panels with some textile over them wouldnt be the same thing?

I am asking cos i am real keen on fixing up my studio, so far its almost bare walls so its real reverberant.

• Members

fiberglass?

Is that essential 4 soundproofing?

those absorbers must be heavy then

so using just flat wooden panels with some textile over them wouldnt be the same thing?

I am asking cos i am real keen on fixing up my studio, so far its almost bare walls so its real reverberant.

Not sound proofing but sound treatment. Judging by your reverberation comment, its exactly what you are after. It won't help sound levels outside the room, but tames reflection issues inside the room.

They are not that heavy, but that depends on the wood used. The fiberglass stuff is dense but light, like a whole bunch of the pink stuff squashed down.

And no, fabric covered wood is not effective.

• Members

Noticed that the thickness is 4 inches. Any idea on how effective a one inch thickness would be?

(wondering if one inch rigid fiberglass air conditioning duct would work as a suitable substitute.)

It would be ok for high frequencies, but for problem bass frequencies, you want a good thick panel.

• Members

Yeah I actually wanted to go thicker with the corners. Honestly if I could have I would have done 8" in the corners (well I would have done slightly smaller pieces of 2" in the rear so I could still get it in the corner) and 4" everywhere else.

Also: This does absolutely NOTHING to sound proof your room, it just makes the room deader. My room still leaks like a mofo.

Also Also: The fiberglass that I bought is not traditional fluffy stuff that you would put in the wall to make your home warmer, it's rigid. You could lean the sheets against the wall and they would stay in the prone position. I couldn't find it in 1" sheets where I looked, they either had backed or unbacked.

Also: These panels are very light. The 6' panels weight as much as a les paul, they are just cumbersome. Cedar isn't a very heavy wood.

Guest Anonymous

Here are a few tricks.

Use contact spray glue to secure fabric to the frame instead of staples. This creates a smoother look to the front and holds the fabric all the way around instead of just at the staples. The corners should be sprayed and pinched to create a Y or tongue/tab. Once the glue drys you just cut off the tongue/tab. Professionals usually don't build wood frames instead they spray a special epoxy on the edge of the 703 and let it harden overnight. The next mornig you lay the panel on top of the fabric and spray the panel edges with contact spray glue and wrap. Next you pinch the fabric edges.

Use these to hang the panels

http://www.auralexelite.com/products/product1.asp?id=60

Here is a fabric source.

http://samplecenter.guilfordofmaine.com/?1212065980848

• Members

yeah i meant sound treatment

thats what i need.

so are the absorbers filled with something, foam or stone wool?

Or is it just a frame with two fiberglass panels on each side?

The fiberglass is the absorption material and yes as you can see in the pics thats all it is!

• Members

Here are a few tricks.

Use contact spray glue to secure fabric to the frame instead of staples. This creates a smoother look to the front and holds the fabric all the way around instead of just at the staples. The corners should be sprayed and pinched to create a Y or tongue/tab. Once the glue drys you just cut off the tongue/tab. Professionals usually don't build wood frames instead they spray a special epoxy on the edge of the 703 and let it harden overnight. The next mornig you lay the panel on top of the fabric and spray the panel edges with contact spray glue and wrap. Next you pinch the fabric edges.

Use these to hang the panels

Here is a fabric source.

Great idea actually!

Guest Anonymous

Great idea actually!

My friend owns a company that does acoustic treaments as well as building Studios. The really expensive stuff is where you nail furring strips around a room, stick the fiberglass inside the furring and then track the room with a special strip that you can push the fabric into.

Big Dollars!!!

:eek:

The cool thing is he made some panels for me...

...for free.

:thu: :thu:

GODDY

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here are some of mine:

DSCN4062small-1.jpg

Built essentially the exact same way except I used 2" of rigid fiberglass and floated them 2" off the wall so I could cover more surface area with one pack (9 sheets) of rigid fiberglass. I used burlap to cover them and staples on the back, but the burlap is pretty thick so they came out looking really smooth even using staples. I hung them the same way: picture frame hooks into the wooden frames with picture hanging wire.

Just thought I'd add to the DIY ideas. These are definitely a good project if you are interested. They end up costing like $10 - $15 each instead of the much higher amounts you will spend if you buy them pre-made and it really doesn't take that much work to make a bunch of them.

Archived