==Tokai Guitars Japan is dropped by Ishibashi for 'Poor Quality"==

informerr

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

wait a minute, hasnt anybody found it suspect that the person who posted this only has 2 posts, and chose the name "informerr"

?

well thats it

Im calling total bull{censored} on this

I think it goes without saying. Someone else posted all this same {censored} a month ago.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ishibashi has 17 stores in Japan. They are pretty much the big gun there. If they decide to drop a line ..so what ? Would you be {censored}ting your pants if GC dropped a line of copy guitars ? I did find it amusing that the first response on the Jokai forum was to delete or lock down the threads pertaining to this. Oh, and kids in case you didn't know the Japs themselves are nuts for any and all american made guitars. At even the smallest guitar show the first ones at the load in /load out are the Jap buyers. Now why do you think that is ? I was at the philly show and I asked the buyers from Ishibashi ( they had a table with 3 of them there) why they never brought any tokai/burny/greco's with them to sell. He pointed to the small mountain of gibson/fenders they had bought and said " this real thing, those others just copy".

• Members

That's nothing new. I must qualify, I have never been to Japan myself, but from what I gather from many folks who have (as well as having met a number of folks who are Japanese), all things Americana are highly fetishised in Japan, and so the US guitars will be perceived as being of greater value purely as a result of their geographic origin. It's not that different to significant chunks of the US market, really......

They are of course correct in one obvious sense that the Tokais etc are "just copies", though whether you place any value on having "the real thing" is another question altogether - one of personal preference, really. I tend to feel it worth bearing in mind when slinging around the "copy" notion that often the better Japanese "copies" are actually more historically accurate than most of the production line US reissues.

• Members

Originally posted by Collie Ransom

I did find it amusing that the first response on the Jokai forum was to delete or lock down the threads pertaining to this.

Leaving aside your slightly racist language, I'll address the above point.

The accusations were locked down as the threads began to degenerate into slanging matches and unsubstantiated accusations, many from newbies who appeared to be out to cause trouble.

If you look again, you'll see transcripts of several emails sent by ishabashi that point to supply problems rather than quality problems being the reason for the drop. Personally, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

And people care about this particular copy brand because they make damn good guitars and have a lot of history. Elderly Instruments have an article citing the 70's japanese copies as one of the main driving forces behind the creation of the vintage reissue market, so next time you see an R9, think how it would look if there were no Japanese cloners!

• Members

Response again from Ishibashi:

Dear Brad,

Thank you for your e-mail.
This is Daisuke from Ishibashi WEB SHOP.

We can deal Tokai's instruments even it is not on our web page.

Please specify the model you are interested in this time.

If you have a question,please let me know.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Daisuke Kitoh/International Sales Agent
Ishibashi WEB SHOP
Ishibashi Music Corporation
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/
U_BOX---http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/
Telephone number:81-3-3291-7090
Fax:81-3-3291-7099

• Members

Ishibashi has 17 stores in Japan. They are pretty much the big gun there. If they decide to drop a line ..so what ? Would you be {censored}ting your pants if GC dropped a line of copy guitars ? I did find it amusing that the first response on the Jokai forum was to delete or lock down the threads pertaining to this. Oh, and kids in case you didn't know the Japs themselves are nuts for any and all american made guitars. At even the smallest guitar show the first ones at the load in /load out are the Jap buyers. Now why do you think that is ? I was at the philly show and I asked the buyers from Ishibashi ( they had a table with 3 of them there) why they never brought any tokai/burny/greco's with them to sell. He pointed to the small mountain of gibson/fenders they had bought and said " this real thing, those others just copy".

the Japanese seem to be infatuated with anything American and that goes for guitars too. Little wonder why Gibson and fender make custom orders for dealers here and sell them for thousands more than in the States...because players here will pay any price... but that goes for $10.oo strawberries and $70.oo cantaloup melons as well. They buy MIAs in guitar shows come back here and double the price. It is true the makers you listed are not highly regarded over here...but you didn`t mention the Seymour Duncans or the Van Zandts, or the Sugis ar the Combats or the Ornettes ... and I could go on but my point is, there are literally dozens of top notch builders in Japan that you never heard of... maybe you should come to Japan and see. But when you`re out drinking in Shibuya or Shinjuku...don`t use jap...not healthy.

• Members

your post was useless, and you are useless

• Members

Originally posted by leopardstar

*stands up and points* troll look a troll (feel better about yourself now that called someone a name?)

I was pointing out a troll you jackass.

Funny how your trolling me now.

seriously though, why are you on this thread if not to troll?

You dont like japanese guitars.

We get it!

Thanks, now go somewhere else.

• Members

It certainly was not the first response at the Tokai forum, Collie Rancid, the thread(s) ran for a while and turned into a shyte slinging match going nowhere except in circles.

So, the 3 guys from Ishibashi needed a mountain of "the real thing". Why? Probably so they could have one good one each.

They were probably too polite to explain that the only thing, that can not be built in a factory in Japan is "American Spirit". They may have thought, judging form your tone, you simply wouldn't understand that.

• Members

Originally posted by stratmoto

So, the 3 guys from Ishibashi needed a mountain of "the real thing". Why? Probably so they could have one good one each.

They're businessmen. MIA sells like hotcakes in Japan, that's why the manufacturers copy MIA designs. It's also the reason why their copies are so damn good.

Archived