==Tokai Guitars Japan is dropped by Ishibashi for 'Poor Quality"==

informerr

• Members

email ishibashi asking for a tokai and you will get a reply, something like this:

Firstly, please note our situation. We do not have any Tokai guitar in

stock. We handle it only in case a customer place an order.

Secondly, a craftsmanship of Tokai is not superb. We have often seen a

dent or a scratch or a defective finish work on their guitar although it

just comes from the manufacturer. We do not accept returning for those

reasons.

The craftsmanship of Tokai used to be good. The current products are not.

We have repeatedly advised Tokai to improve the quality but there has

been no improvement.

Tokai does not make their guitars in a large quantity. Also, we obtain

a Tokai item through a supplier. We cannot choose a good one from a few

units. To sell a Tokai item bothers us.

Those are reasons why we do not sell a Tokai item at our stores.

so a major worldwide respected dealer drops tokai and advises customers to basically stay away until tokai sorts their stuff out. tokai did not listen to the many calls by them and kept on sending them guitars with defects. tokai sent the guitars back and had to tell the customers to wait longer. then finally they get a guitar with no issues which they send to the customers. but now ishibashi is fed up and drops them.

whats going on?

also check these threads:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5954

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6043

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6012

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

Wow... thats teh suck. Hope you get that worked out informerr.

i dont have a tokai, thats not me lol.

onbongos, i wanted to make that accurate gibson copy joke man, you stole my light :p

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

their gibson copies are too accurate

Haha, good one! :D

But I must say that Ishibashi has a very good attitude. If only other stores did that then maybe the overall quality of many brands would improve.

The MIJ Tokais I've seen have been good and lightweight but I must admit that I felt that ESP/Edwards guitars were built better.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

But I must say that Ishibashi has a very good attitude. If only other stores did that then maybe the overall quality of many brands would improve.

Yup. This only makes me trust Ishibashi even more.

informerr- Fair enough. I do hope that the ones that are having the problems get them worked out to their satisfaction though. Must be frustrating, but it seems that they are using every tool at their disposal to get the job done.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

Yup. This only makes me trust Ishibashi even more.

informerr- Fair enough. I do hope that the ones that are having the problems get them worked out to their satisfaction though. Must be frustrating, but it seems that they are using every tool at their disposal to get the job done.

Yeah, they will stear you away from used stuff, and often list their stuff "junk" if it's not up to pare. Ishibashi's staff have always been very fair and knowledgable.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by leopardstar

some one please show this thred to "no soul":evil: he went troll on my ass about how great the tokays were, saying basicly i didn't know sh*t from shine-ola:(

well the older the ones were great :(

I havent played one newer than the late 90's

but this is honestly shocking news to me

I cant help but wonder if Tokai Gakki has gone through some serious management changes, or something along those lines.

Its not in character of a Japanese manufacturer to take a fall from grace like this.

Also, its not in character for one Japanese company to say something this bad about another company... so Im a bit curious here as to the authenticity of this claim.

• Members

This may be crazy thought, but isnt it possible that tokai dropped their dealership with Ishibashi and now Ishibashi cant sell them anymore? I mean in happened with Gibson and their dealers although that may be a different case.

On a side note I probably would've bought an Edwards instead of a Tokai anyways.

• Members

Originally posted by informerr

email ishibashi asking for a tokai and you will get a reply, something like this:

so a major worldwide respected dealer drops tokai and advises customers to basically stay away until tokai sorts their stuff out. tokai did not listen to the many calls by them and kept on sending them guitars with defects. tokai sent the guitars back and had to tell the customers to wait longer. then finally they get a guitar with no issues which they send to the customers. but now ishibashi is fed up and drops them.

whats going on?

also check these threads:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5954

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6043

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6012

wow, the guitar in the first thread looks horrible! :eek:

• Members

there seems to be the notion that the Japanese are all kind, gentle, polite, friendly, warm, lovable etc etc...but after almost 13 years of living here my experience has led me to believe .... they ain`t. Yes... I ve met some real nice folks who are all of those things I listed...and more... but theres no shortage of nasty folks here too. Plenty of back stabbing, actual stabbing, cut throat businessmen, violence, lying, cheating... you name it.... it exists here... as it does anywhere else, it`s just that we don`t hear so much about the dark side of Japanese culture outside the country.

There are 2 Enron type cases on the TV news every night and another where hundreds, perhaps thousands of families have been forced to move out of their condos because the architects who designed the buildings natiowide cut corners and the buildings may be collapse in earth quakes. And guess whose holding the bag?... the little guy. So theres some bad blood between Ishibashi and Tokai due to quality control or production numbers?...doesn`t surprise me and it`s laughable compared to what else going on over here. Tokai having problems...no biggie, I`ll buy from another maker, plenty of excellent ones to select from.

• Members

The only thing I can think of is that they've shifted their focus from the affordable clones to the rarer, hard to come by expensive custom shop clones.

There was a huge expansion of their top end line at the beginning of this year. They must have seen a market for gibson level instruments without the gibson baggage. Perhaps this new effort has caused their current best selling lines to suffer?

I've certainly never heard anything but praise for their LS100+ line.

• Members

That is a sack of {censored}!

Ishibashi told me in January they had them off the site because the line was being revamped considerably.

And now its because of QC? I call bull{censored}.

1. Either someone is spreading lies saying Ishibashi said something they didn't or....

2. Tokai dropped Ishibashi for whatever reason and Ishibashi is saying it as all dealers who've been dropped do.

Sure a lemon gets out now and then from every brand, but this story stinks.

Tokai may have been pissed Ishibashi is exporting them to the USA, who knows. But I'm pretty damn certain it has zero to do with QC.

Archived