What do you think of Les Paul style guitars for Jazz?

meep

• Members

Assuming that they have some sort of classic PAFs installed, not any modern hot offerings.

Can you make a Les Paul work for jazz? What about with pickup changes?

Just curious for no reason.

• Members

For jazz, I would think you're looking for a soft, clean, undistorted, bassy tone for that schmaltzy kind of jazz stuff. Would "Girl From Ipanema" or the "Peanuts", "Charlie Brown Christmas" theme fit into your idea?

I kind of like that stuff and all I would do is roll the volume back on my neck p'up to where it doesn't over drive the amp.

Then there's the other kind of jazz like John Mclaughlin. They seem to like the bassier neck p'up tones but are playing more full blast with over drive. Really fast licks and hard to hum.

Les Paul himself is a jazz kind of guy. You should listen to all of his stuff. He's really quick with the intricate chords.

I would think any guitar brand is good for Jazz.

Even Tele's are good for Jazz.

• Members
Originally posted by 's mel gibson

Even Tele's are good for Jazz.

Funny you should say that, I've found my tele neck pickup excellent for Jazz...

It's all new territory for me, thanks for the suggestions! I think I will look into some Les Paul (guitarist) stylings when I can :)

• Members

From what I understand, Les Pauls were originally designed for jazz. I ordered an Agile AL-2000 with P90's to play in my college's jazz (big band) band (among other purposes), and I like it for that purpose, so far.

• Members

Originally posted by chqtarzan

as les paul himself is a jazz musician,i think he designed les paul guitars for jazz

True that. He still plays jazz every Monday night (I think he's back from illness but I could be wrong) in Times Square NYC.

• Members

DLR proved you can play VH ala bluegrass, but that's obviously not the best way. you can also play jazz on a less paul, but why struggle to make a guitar that was made for metallica flogging do jazz when you could actually just buy a jazz guitar... like an es175.

what's the next question? can a twin do nu-metal? life is extra hard when you're stupid.

• Members
Originally posted by
Cholera Jasna

why struggle to make a guitar that was made for metallica flogging do jazz when you could actually just buy a jazz guitar... like an es175.

what's the next question? can a twin do nu-metal? life is extra hard when you're stupid.

The Les Paul was not made for 'Metallica flogging'. It was made for jazz, '50s pop - even country.

Granted, it has found a comfy home in the hard-rock/metal genre - but even so, a lot of guys in the Jazz/Fusion field still use Les Pauls.

No reason to call the guy stupid, surely...?

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Cholera Jasna

DLR proved you can play VH ala bluegrass, but that's obviously not the best way. you can also play jazz on a less paul, but why struggle to make a guitar that was made for metallica flogging do jazz when you could actually just buy a jazz guitar... like an es175.

I hope the above was a joke - the Les paul guitar was concieved in the early 50's as a solid body alternative to the jazz box. Les Paul is one of the most well known jazz/pop guitarists in history. A Les Paul may not be as woody and mellow as an L5 with a floating pickup, but the Les Paul makes a great jazz guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by jay3265E

True that. He still plays jazz every Monday night (I think he's back from illness but I could be wrong) in Times Square NYC.

he does? I'll be there on a monday in late August. Where does he play?

Where does Woody Allen play clarinet on Mondays? Same place?

'twould be very cool to go.

• Members
Originally posted by Cholera Jasna

Lol you are a retard, bro :(

• Members

The clean sounds you can get from a LP are totally underrated. Play one through a Deluxe Reverb :love: or even a Twin, and tell me that those cleans aren't breathtaking.

Not only will the neck PU alone give you a lovely round jazz approved tone, try messing about with the middle position too. The sounds you can get with one PU full on and the other turned down are the the cat's tits :thu:

• Members

If you don't find an LP "jazzy" enough, you could always add some pickups that you could rewire to parallel. Parallel wiring is great for rockabilly & jazz tones. I think Les' main "LP" is actually one of the '70s "recording" models, which have low impedance pickups, which have a remarkable clean tone.

Here's a story about the recording model:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=52

• Members

I have recently discovered the beauty of the tele neck for jazz too. I was really taken off guard when I plugged my Highway One into may daughters Epiphone Valve Junior and rolled off the tone a little bit. The smooth tele neck pickup combined with a low wattage class A combo realy shines as long as you don't push it too hard.

Archived