SG's Vintage Vs New

voneville

• Members

So I was thinking today, which is always dangerous, but I couldn't stop myself.

Bottom of the line gibson SG's run about $650 and go up. The standard is about $1200 give or take, right? You can pick up a pretty cool vintage SG for about $800. Granted it will be a player and might have a few extra holes and probably need a little maintenance.

When people talk about fenders they ussually think of Vintage as being the holly grail. The vintage nitro, old wood, etc.

Les Pauls vary greatly, but it seems that the finish and the year play a big factor in the resale value.

But SG's tend to be a lot cheaper, a really nice vintage is well within the price range of a new Les Paul. Strange. But I think SG's are probably one of the better vintage buys out there in respect to bang for your buck.

• Members

Now correct me if I am wrong, but didnt many vintage SG's have a weak neck joint?

FWIW most of the vintage SG's I have seen floating around have been modded quite a bit, thus lending to the low price. Usualy mods done in the 80's and usualy in poor taste. I've seen ones routed for floyds, then filled and repainted.... horrible tragic things:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Now correct me if I am wrong, but didnt many vintage SG's have a weak neck joint?

FWIW most of the vintage SG's I have seen floating around have been modded quite a bit, thus lending to the low price. Usualy mods done in the 80's and usualy in poor taste. I've seen ones routed for floyds, then filled and repainted.... horrible tragic things:cry:

I think they had their share of problems, and many are in really bad shape mod wise. But I've seen nice players sell pretty cheap as well. I know 70's Gibsons tend to be lowly regarded, but the Les Paul seems to have overcome that stigma because it still says gibson, and it's a les paul.

EverythingSG.com says they prefer the current RI's to the 70's second handers. So maybe there's something to it. I really like 70's Gibsons though.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville
You can pick up a pretty cool vintage SG for about $800. Granted it will be a player and might have a few extra holes and probably need a little maintenance.

IMHO, the ones you can get at 8 in the vintage market are generally the ones you don't really want (unless you luck out).

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

IMHO, the ones you can get at 8 in the vintage market are generally the ones you don't really want (unless you luck out).

I had a 74 Standard and a 78 Deluxe Standard (like a custom, block inlay, crown inlay on the headstock, bound neck), and neither were as good as my new SG Classic is. Most of the good vintage SGs out there are pretty pricey, the others are usually dogs.

• Members

Do you consider 70's Gibsons "vintage"? I'm just one of those people who thinks that more than age should factor into something... anything being considered vintage. For example Gibson had sort of a sweet spot in their quality from about '54-'64. They started making a lot of changes around '65. If you like 70's Gibsons better, that's what you should get. A lot of the 70's SG's are pretty sad though. I tried out a ton of SG's when I was looking for one. 60's-current, standard production/custom shop, whatever. I ended up with a beat-to-{censored} '65 that needed a ton of work because I liked the feel and unplugged sound the best. Plus I like the typical mid-late 60's SG necks a lot. Most people hate the skinnier nut width. Doesn't bother me. I think the current production Standards are the best bang for the buck if you want humbuckers. Used Classics are a steal.

The short answer: I'd rather spend $1000 on a new Standard than a 70's model. Vibe be damned.

• Members

Originally posted by Valiant100

Do you consider 70's Gibsons "vintage"? I'm just one of those people who thinks that more than age should factor into something... anything being considered vintage.

I tend to agree with you. The definition of vintage can either mean something that is old, or something that represents the best and most desireable qualities. I tend to go with the latter, but respect that many people use the former.

To me 70s Gibsons were no big deal; some were good, some not. Same with Fender. I think anything that is post CBS isn't vintage, though you do have the Tele deluxes and a few other models that have their vintage in the 70s.

• Members

By vintage do you mean old or the gibson "vintage" line that has the faded finish? Cause the vintage line is fine, but I dont think Ive ever seen a vintage (old) guitar for 800, lol. If you do then buy it, lol.

• Members

Vintage to me, guitar wise, is anything over 25 years old. I've played a lot of 70's gibsons and I haven't come across too many dogs. But my playing style and taste in music is probably less demanding then some of you guys here in forum land.

I've also played some of the earlier ones, and they are great. The prices reflect that, though.

• Members

So I was thinking today, which is always dangerous, but I couldn't stop myself.

Bottom of the line gibson SG's run about $650 and go up. The standard is about $1200 give or take, right? You can pick up a pretty cool vintage SG for about $800. Granted it will be a player and might have a few extra holes and probably need a little maintenance.

When people talk about fenders they ussually think of Vintage as being the holly grail. The vintage nitro, old wood, etc.

Les Pauls vary greatly, but it seems that the finish and the year play a big factor in the resale value.

But SG's tend to be a lot cheaper, a really nice vintage is well within the price range of a new Les Paul. Strange. But I think SG's are probably one of the better vintage buys out there in respect to bang for your buck.

I imagine you could find a decent "vintage players" sg for around $800-1000. But...you are prol better off just getting a used 61' re-issue. At any rate I think that you MUST try out the SG in person. SG's are a "try befor you buy axe" in my book.

• Members

Originally posted by Black Falcon

what have they done to address the neck joint issue? How are the current ones different?

The SG Standards claim to have a redesigned stronger neck joint. However, I believe the 61 RI does not.

• Members

Originally posted by Gochaz

I think the best value vintage SGs are probably the '60s Juniors. They offer something you cannot get nowadays.

The vintage 60's juniors are nice guitars. The melody makers are cool too. Didnt Gibson start making a single P-90 sg jr type guitar again for like $700 a pop? I imagine you could snag one up used for a decent price.

• Members

The SG Standards claim to have a redesigned stronger neck joint. However, I believe the 61 RI does not.

Ya, the standards have a neck joint that starts at I think the 19th fret to make it stronger. The 61' is at the 22nd.

• Members

Even though the joint on the '61 Reissue is on the same fret as the original it is not your grandpappy's joint. ;) It is my understanding that Gibson re-engineered the joint itself and is using a different manufacturing process. Probably different/newer glue as well.

It is probably not real fair to compare the problems with the original neck joints to the current production guitars. Have any of you seen or even heard of a failure on a modern production '61 Reissue? I certainly haven't.

It is one of my favorite guitars though...

sg61body.jpg

JMHO

-Ron

• Members
Originally posted by BillyCorgan

Original 60s SGs > New SGs
:thu:

Elaborate please. The problems of vintage SG's are well known. Beyond the fact that you own an old SG, what would make them better. Please dont say MOJO we all know thats a load of BS:p

• Members

Elaborate please. The problems of vintage SG's are well known. Beyond the fact that you own an old SG, what would make them better. Please dont say MOJO we all know thats a load of BS:p

MOJO is one of the most retarded excuses of a good guitar i've ever heard.
So far this has been my most sturdy,toneful and reliable SG.(+ it's steps above the ones i've played quality-wise) I can't wait to hear a humbucker in it. :thu:

• Members
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1978-Vintage-SG-Standard-with-engraved-Les-Paul_W0QQitemZ130001599853QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a good example of what I meant by a "vintage" player. Of course, if it's younger then you you probably wouldn't consider it vintage, but it's a year older then me, and looks much better for it's age then I do :)

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1978-Vintage-SG-Standard-with-engraved-Les-Paul_W0QQitemZ130001599853QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a good example of what I meant by a "vintage" player. Of course, if it's younger then you you probably wouldn't consider it vintage, but it's a year older then me, and looks much better for it's age then I do
:)

Thats a nice guitar. But...reserve auction with 5 hours to go. I imagine the price will shoot up near the end.

Like I said in my other post...I think that trying out an SG befor you buy it is a almost a "must". Buying a newer model used like the 61' re-issue or a standard (if you like the chunky neck) will give you a chance to play a few used offering and cherry pick a winner.

• Members

I picked up a 64' SG special that was a real player,luckily it had a vintage p-90 and a PAF bucker installed with upgraded electronics,its a great guitar that probably has little collectability....when it arrived{UPS} with the neck joint broken I was extremely pissed......fortunately I found a excellent luthier who essentially buffed the whole guitar,so,all in all it all worked out and the guitar is better than I recieved it by a long shot....if you do go vintage just be prepared to make things right with a luthier you can trust.I still would go vintage even with my experience!

• Members

In my experience, the pre-Norlin era SG's are just generally made from lighter weight, more resonant wood.

**GENERALLY**

Most of the current Standards I played just didn't have that insane resonance that most of the 60's ones do. And I still haven't found a 70's model that feels as lively as either. It's mostly feel and personal preference. There are plenty of exceptions out there though. Right now, there's a recent Standard at the shop down the street that is crazy lightweight, and a total beast.

I'm just not a big fan of the neck on the '61 RI. I like the clubbier neck on the Standards. I do have a '62 Jr with that type of neck. And it doesnt' bother me too much because that guitar sounds absolutely huge.

Archived