SG's Vintage Vs New

voneville

• Members

Originally posted by Valiant100

In my experience, the pre-Norlin era SG's are just generally made from lighter weight, more resonant wood.

**GENERALLY**

Most of the current Standards I played just didn't have that insane resonance that most of the 60's ones do. And I still haven't found a 70's model that feels as lively as either. It's mostly feel and personal preference. There are plenty of exceptions out there though. Right now, there's a recent Standard at the shop down the street that is crazy lightweight, and a total beast.

I'm just not a big fan of the neck on the '61 RI. I like the clubbier neck on the Standards. I do have a '62 Jr with that type of neck. And it doesnt' bother me too much because that guitar sounds absolutely huge.

Could that airy resonant feeling be due to the wood aging, and the thin nitro finish? Isnt this mostly the appeal of vintage guitars anyway. Just asking, I've played some decent vintage SG's, and some dogs. I played some great new production ones, and some that were dead sounding. Mine(05 standard) is decent, its not the liveliest one I have ever played, but it sounds great plugged in and weighs just 7lbs.

• Members
Originally posted by Burningleaves

The vintage 60's juniors are nice guitars. The melody makers are cool too. Didnt Gibson start making a single P-90 sg jr type guitar again for like $700 a pop? I imagine you could snag one up used for a decent price.

Old Melody makers can be killer. They're starting to go up in price quite a bit though. Plus on the SG style Melody Makers are usually in colors like Pelham Blue and Sparkling Burgundy :love:

60mm2.jpg

MMSG.jpg

3SG.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by voneville

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1978-Vintage-SG-Standard-with-engraved-Les-Paul_W0QQitemZ130001599853QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a good example of what I meant by a "vintage" player. Of course, if it's younger then you you probably wouldn't consider it vintage, but it's a year older then me, and looks much better for it's age then I do
:)

Haha, last bid was 801.00 I guess everyone else felt that was an 800 dollar guitar too.

Well I actually learned a lot from this thread. HC was useful for once :)

Archived