Any reasons why I shouldn't buy a Peavey Classic 30?

K3Fallout

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by K3Fallout

Unfortanately,my parents think Ebay is the antichrist so thats a no to that. Don't a lot of people upgrade the speaker to a Celestion Greenback and JJ tubes? I don't see whats so bad about it stock?

did you check your local shops and craigslist?

• Members

The most local thing is a GC and I never seen them carry Peavey Classics. I think there are some "mom and pop" stores near by me as well but I've never checked.Craigslist,has some but my parents..just dont trust used at all in general. There's a Classic 50 Halfstack for 500 on Craigslist that is pretty near me too. I'll make them read this topic and see if you fellas can convince them otherwise :D

EDIT: This is the place that has em for me: www.bananas.com It's not listed on their site but their store has about 4-5.

• Members

Unfortanately,my parents think Ebay is the antichrist so thats a no to that. Don't a lot of people upgrade the speaker to a Celestion Greenback and JJ tubes? I don't see whats so bad about it stock?

I would think the blue marvel would be a fine speaker. Don't know 'bout the tubes though.

• Members

I got mine for $200 from a local pawn shop.

As for speaker and tube swaps...the amp sounds fine in stock form. It just sounds a lot better with a better speaker and a little better still with better tubes.

When I did my speaker swap, forgive the expression, it was like somebody took a blanket off the amp. :D Seriously though. The tone got a lot crisper and more defined, but was still warm and fuzzy.

The tube swapped made a little difference, but not near as much as the speaker.

I used a Celestion G12H30, BTW.

• Members

nothing really if you can be happy with it as is, it sounds great right out of the box. but if after you hear/play some that have been upgraded youll be wanting to do the same, simply because a better speaker+tubes equals better tone.

a speaker change can really change the tone of an amp, in some cases alot. as much as i love the stock C30 i upraged the 2nd one i had and it was a nice improvement. especially at higher volumes, it killed that slightly boxy tone, and even at low volumes i thought the improvement was well worth the cost of the speaker/tubes

• Members

Originally posted by sglespaulartist

I would think the blue marvel would be a fine speaker. Don't know 'bout the tubes though.

I should also mention that I have no idea about the Blue Marvel. Mine is an older model that came with a Sheffield or something.

• Members

Does the Classic sound great at low volumes? This is going to be my first tube amp so I'm pretty excited. I remember someone saying something about it doing tube breakup at low volumes..I really don't remember what the exact statement was but either way I don't know what that means.

Archived