Any reasons why I shouldn't buy a Peavey Classic 30?

K3Fallout

• Members

i honestly believe that the stock Blue Marvel speaker and stock tubes will BLOW you away!!!

if you want to upgrade later, then so be it.

Here's a shot of the back side of the amp.

PV2.JPG

Also, there are about 5 MP3 clips here on the Peavey Classic 30 page, if you would like to hear it.

Classic 30 Clips

:cool:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by K3Fallout

Does the Classic sound great at low volumes? This is going to be my first tube amp so I'm pretty excited. I remember someone saying something about it doing tube breakup at low volumes..I really don't remember what the exact statement was but either way I don't know what that means.

I like to play at low volumes levels, too. I went with a set of the low gain Blues JJ tubes from Bob at eurotubes.com, which really made a huge difference. I believe that all 7 tubes were $68 shipped.

I also use a TS-808 between the guitar and amp to have a variety of OD sounds.

I was planning to change out the stock speaker, but it sounds so good the way it is, that's on the back burner for now.

• Members

Wow a lot of great feedback on the classic 30. GuitarNoobie if you think it will blow me away,then I'll scratch out thinking about upgrading it.

For now. :p. I can't wait til Tuesday! I want a DS-1 and a Wah too,hehe.

• Members

Wow a lot of great feedback on the classic 30. GuitarNoobie if you think it will blow me away,then I'll scratch out thinking about upgrading it.

hey, to each his own. a lot of people upgrade, even when their gear is new.

personally however, i would give it some time and see what you think. if this is your first tube amp, you will fall in love with it :love:

btw, here's a few nice additions to add on if you so desire; sorry they are only sold on Ebay to the best of my knowledge...

Toms Tube Tamer

Classic 30 Tube Guard

be sure and post a new thread and pics when you get it. :wave:

• Members

I'll try my best to get pictures. As for the tube tamer,and the tube guard...I think I should get them. You think I can ask the store where I'm most likely to buy it from to order it for me?

I don't know if they would do something like that.

However, both of those dealers on Ebay selling those items are completely reputable. They both have 100% positive feedback.

I ordered the tube guard and received it very quickly.

The key to Ebay is finding a seller with a good rating. Corresponding with the seller prior to a purchase (if you are worried), either email or phone and just using good ol' common sense.

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

So, bought the 30 for 215....sold it for 330....I think I did okay.
;):p

Absolutely, who can argue with profit on used gear.

I paid $250 for mine almost a year ago and am pretty sure I could $350 now. :thu:

But mine ain't for sell :eek::D

• Members

Can't go wrong with the classic 30, I used to have one and wished I still did. I now have a Peavey classic 50 4x10 and I about throw my back out whenever I tote it somewhere, and it's the smallest amp I have. (rubs back in pain)

• Members

Rumor on the street is that they smash delightfully when tossed from a 5 story window.

You know that, or you could people to give you $$$ money for it. Id prefer the first one. Oh, and take a video.

Thanks for the input. Can't wait til I get it! I wonder what I should do with my line 6 when I get it.

• Members
Originally posted by Prages

That got me too.

So, I paid $200 for the amp, and let's say I paid $100 for the speaker (which I really only paid $80 for it and bought it a long time ago and it was just sitting around) and $80 for new tubes. That means I've spent $380 for an amp that has a better speaker and better tubes than a new one that normally sells for $500-$550.

A lot of people put a new speaker and tubes in their amps even when they buy them brand new, so if you did that, then you're spending more like $700+. I don't see how there's any question that used for $380 total is a better deal than new for $700+.

No thats not what I mean, used $200& no warranty,dont know how hard its been usedor often(risky),speaker& tubes about $200,thats $400& no warranty w/questionable power supply,for $25 more you geta new 1 w/warranty& new power supply,used tubes degrade gradually ,thats why if you put new ones in it sounds better,same for old speakers, youre dollar amounts are way off..

• Members

I got one about 2 months ago. I bought a MESA/Boogie prior to that. The MESA was my first tube amp. I was amazed by the MESA!! Best thing I'd ever played. I got the 30 because I'd heard the clean tones were good. The MESA's clean is way too sterile.

I LOVE the clean and dirt that the 30 does. For certain guitars it is better than the Boogie. I have the stock blue whatever speaker and it sounds great. You will not be unhappy... Get the Tube Tamer and Tube guard--both on Ebay.

Both things were shipped very quickly!! No problems at all.

Ebay is a great tool. Your folks should see the value of buying used to try things out. Then sell the trial and get new stuff if you want to. It's like buying a new car. It's never what it's worth what it was when you bought it. Best of luck! Enjoy.

• Members

That's the problem. My dad is a bit..hypocritical. He told me that he does not trust buying things used because they are broken and you can't return them. That's just his assumption on everything used. Thing is,he has bought plenty of used stuff,but I never approach him about it. I even tried to explain about Ebay and feedback to him and I can barely convince him. I hope he'll allow me to get the tube guard and tamer.

Archived