strat: a versatile one

DWBH

• Members

i'm looking for a stratocaster thar is versatile. i'm want a sweet and clean sound for blues and jazz but i also want one that gives me a good crunch...

well, which strat should i pick?

do i have a more versatile strat with one hum and two single-coils than with 3 single-coils?

and what are the characteristics of maple, ash, alder, mahogany, etc in both neck and body?

and what the hell is a fat strat?

oh, i forgot to mention that i want a tremolo bridge guitar

PS: i'm a nOOb :D

EDIT: and what is the diference between a highway strat and a "normal" strat?

thanks

• Members
Originally posted by DWBH

i'm looking for a stratocaster thar is versatile. i'm want a sweet and clean sound for blues and jazz but i also want one that gives me a good crunch...

Ok...

well, which strat should i pick?

The cheap and easy answer is "the one you try that feels and sounds best to you", but yes figuring out some idea of the spec you want in advance can be very helpful in narrowing down your search.

do i have a more versatile strat with one hum and two single-coils than with 3 single-coils?

Eh, that's a matter of opinion. A lot of folks will say yes you do, but it's a trade off, really - you lose the true Strat bridge and bridge / middle sounds in exchange for having the humbucker tone in the bridge. Depends what you want, really - if rawer, bluesly, classic rock tones are your thing, then I'd be more inclined to a good raw ballsy single coil, whereas if you want a much more modern rock sounding guitar, the HB might be a good move. You can also opt for having the HB tapped - it won't sound quite like a true single coil, IMO, but it'll get you close enough if the HB sound option is important to you.

and what are the characteristics of maple, ash, alder, mahogany, etc in both neck and body?

oh, hell.... we could cover this for days.... maple tends to be very bright - maple fingerboards on Strats in theory sound brighter than rosewood boards (which are warmer), though IMO - YMMV - the difference in feel (varnished maple vs unfinished rosewood) is more significant than the minimal sound difference - especially as there being so many variables in a Strat otherwise, it's highly debatable whether the fingerboard material really makes much difference at all. Mahogany tends to be a darker sounding wood, though I don't think, shy of the custom shop, you'll find a mahogany Strat (not from fender anyhow) these days - nor maple. Maple bodied guitars are very rare AFAIK - tend to be heavy. No Fenders I'm aware of have maple bodies. Strats tend to be Ash or more commonly these days Alder. Older MIM models were poplar, which gives a sweet tone - many folks look down on it as inferior as they associate it with the "cheaper" MIM Fenders as opposed to the more expensive US models in Ash or alder, though many luthiers swear by it and it's certainly not inferior IMO - just different, inasmuch as if you have dog ears and can hear it and can rule out the difference between the poplar bodied guitar and the alder bodied one being down to something else. My personal opinion (and it seems likely that of Leo Fender) is that it doesn't matter much - Ash can be prettier, which is why you see it more in transparent finishes, but I've never heard much significant difference, if any.

and what the hell is a fat strat?

Fat Strat = Strat with a Humbicker in the bridge insteado f the "normal" single coil.

Double Fat Strat = Strat with just two humbuckers instead of SSS or HSS set up.

oh, i forgot to mention that i want a tremolo bridge guitar

not a problem there....99% of Strats come with a trem!

PS: i'm a nOOb
:D

I'd kinda guessed.
;)
Keep asking the questions, though, it's how we all learned. There was a time i didn't know what a Telecaster was....

EDIT: and what is the diference between a highway strat and a "normal" strat?

Different spec. The highway guitars are the bottom rung of the US range, and have a few variations on them - a thinner satin/matt finish on the body being the most immediately apparent. Many folks like this because they believe it lets the guitar "breathe" more and resonate better, and they also love that the finish wears quicker and so gives something of the relic look - modern finishes are much more durable, and a lot of folks think they inhibit the guitar's tone, and they don't like that a guitar can still look new after years of playing. Others reckon that the idea it affects tone is bunk if the finish is well applied, and don't care for the relic look.... there's no right and wrong answer on this one, just go with your own ears. There are other spec differences - see
www.fender.com
for them all.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

Eh, that's a matter of opinion. A lot of folks will say yes you do, but it's a trade off, really - you lose the true Strat bridge and bridge / middle sounds in exchange for having the humbucker tone in the bridge.

Not neccessarily. Wiring in a simple push/pull pot to split the humbucker's coils will give you the Strat sounds.

You can also wire the coil split leads of the humbucker to the 5-way switch so that it is automaticlly split when you use the bridge/middle position. I have my MIJ Strat wired that way.

I personally feel that an HSS Strat is the most versatile guitar you can have.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

I agree with Pete. My first choice for a versatile Strat would be an American HSS with the S-1 switch. I have one and I can go from traditional Strat sounds to some darker, thicker tones pretty easily. And with the S-1 switch kicked in and the pickup selector in the middle position, you're playing through every pickup in the guitar all at once.

If the MIA Strat is too much $$$, find a good MIM HSS Strat. You'll lose the S-1 electronics but still have access to most traditional Strat tones.

~Blackbelt

• Members

sorry to be such a noob, but what's a tapped humbucker?

and what does IMO, YMMV, AFAIK, MIM mean? :confused:

about the sound clips i kinda liked the tradition one... it seemed to me that the clean sound was more warmer and full than the 3 SC one... is it just my nOOb ear, or i'm really saying something that's true? :D

well i don't want to play old thingies... i like a good full warm clean sound, but i also like a quality crunch. not noise, but a good crunch , where we can actually distinguish the notes...

i'm not a metal fan... i like blues, jazz, and my rock influences are franz ferdinand, palcebo, coldplay, bloc party, white stripes, snow patrol, etc...

EDIT: thanks to you all! you're really helping me!!!

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

Fender Player Deluxe Strat - clean

3 noiseless vintage SC's ($599)

Fender strat clean

Fender Strat Dirty

Tradition G12 Fat strat 2 SC 1 H in bridge ($80) goes for about $150 to $200

Tradition Clean

Neck Pickup on Dirty.

Neck to Bridge to 4th pos to Neck on Cleans

Nice playing Frets99. :thu:

What amp are you using on the clean track? That really sounded good. :thu:

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

I agree with Pete. My first choice for a versatile Strat would be an American HSS with the S-1 switch. I have one and I can go from traditional Strat sounds to some darker, thicker tones pretty easily. And with the S-1 switch kicked in and the pickup selector in the middle position, you're playing through every pickup in the guitar all at once.

If the MIA Strat is too much $$$, find a good MIM HSS Strat. You'll lose the S-1 electronics but still have access to most traditional Strat tones.

~Blackbelt

The Fender Player Deluxe (MIM) has a button that allows it to access neck bridge and neck mid bridge as tones as well as the traditional 5 way.

The Tradition has the trad 5 way switch but also has a bucker in the bridge.

• Members

sorry to be such a noob, but what's a tapped humbucker?

and what does IMO, YMMV, AFAIK, MIM mean?
:confused:

In the simplest terms, it is using just one of the humbucker's two coils in effect making it a single coil pickup.

IMO- In My Opinion

YMMV- Your Mileage May Vary

AFAIK- As Far As I Know

MIM- Made In Mexico

MIJ- Made In Japan

MIA- Made In America

etc.

• Members

sorry to be such enoying but what's the diference between a tex-mex pu and the other ones? the tex-mex are made in mexico? what about the sound? are they that bad compared to the other ones (american, for example)?

sorry to be such enoying but what's the diference between a tex-mex pu and the other ones? the tex-mex are made in mexico? what about the sound? are they that bad compared to the other ones (american, for example)?

The tex mex are reputed to be hotter but still carry the vintage sound. They are not bad at all. Most folks tend to have aftermarket pickups (pups) they favor over most stock pickups. I tend to favor stocks.

• Members

You won't need one. A Floyd would be more for people into hard rock/metal and like to do stuff like Eddie Van Halen.

Advantages: The stay in tune better than any other whammy bar when you do agressive diving. They also arguably stay in tune better than a hard tail (but not everyone agrees on this).

Disadvantages: A little more difficult to change strings on, and more difficult to change tunings on. Since you're looking at Fender, they don't recess their Floyds (routing out a space behind/under the Floyd to allow pulling up on the bar to raise pitch), so you won't have to worry about breaking strings as much. Breaking a string an a recessed Floyd will throw the rest of the strings out of tune, as the bridge is balanced between equal tension of the springs in the back of the guitar and the strings. Breaking a string changes the balance and will cause the bridge to pull back.

Those who use them and learn how to properly set them up are more than happy with them (myself included). However, they're not for everyone. Unless you know you'll need one, don't get one.

• Members

Not neccessarily. Wiring in a simple push/pull pot to split the humbucker's coils will give you the Strat sounds.

You can also wire the coil split leads of the humbucker to the 5-way switch so that it is automaticlly split when you use the bridge/middle position. I have my MIJ Strat wired that way.

Well, yeah... i was thinking of the standard wiring when i typed, but you're right it can be done. It's not quite the same as a regular SC to my ears, but yes it does give you the two different sounds, so I guess it is more versatile in that sense. :)

Originally posted by laker2

Nice playing Frets99.
What amp are you using on the clean track? That really sounded good.

Thanks!

I'm actually very pleased with these recordings because I've finally captured the actual live sound of my amp in a recording.

It's a Line 6 Spider II -> toneport (usb connection to computer) -> Gearbox (modeling software)

In Gearbox I used : No amp (My line 6 was the head as it were)

line 6 4X12 cab (modeling software)

So it's like my line 6 was driving a line 6 4X12 cab. The sound is exactly what I hear when I'm playing through the amp live.

• Members

what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a floyd rose in my future strat (considering my case)?

Ok, let's put this out in the open lest it colour my view: I really don't like Floyd Rose vibratos, I consider them incovenient and ugly. This is in large part though personal choice - other folks feel the same way about Bigsbys, which I love.

That said.....

If you're given to a lot of whammy abuse - if divebombs are a big part of your style and you like to give it some serious swinging on the bar, then you can't go wrong with a Floyd for tuning stability. The only real downside there is that they are a bit more work - e.g. changing strings is a bit more of an operation. But if you're very into your vibrato, it's a good option. OTOH (on the other hand), they're not really worth it, in my opinion, if you aren't big on using the whammy, or only use it for a little wobble here and there. The standard style Strat trems are much better than they get credit for. I don't go in for a lot of whammy abuse, I'm more of a subtle wobble guy, and I've never had problems with my MIA Strat's two-post trem, or the six-screw vintage style trems on my other Strats, which I keep set tight to the body rather than floating. Should be someone here who can explain those terms better than me, but basically "floating" means the trem is set up to sit at about halfway on its travel, so you can raise or lower the pitch of the strings, tight to body means it is set up flat against the top, and you can only lower the pitch, though this is generally considered to be more stable (less likely to knock the other strings out of tune if you break one), and you can always use fingers to bend upwards in pitch.

• Members

In the simplest terms, it is using just one of the humbucker's two coils in effect making it a single coil pickup.

can't i do this without re-wiring the guitar ou without a push/pull pot(whatever that is :D) ?

• Members

can't i do this without re-wiring the guitar ou without a push/pull pot(whatever that is
:D
) ?

It will take some rewiring. First, the humbucker must be a 4 conductor pickup. That is, it should have 4 separate wires (although some do have 3).

Using Seymour Duncan pickups as an example, the red and white wires from the pickup would be soldered together then when that pair of wires is grounded, it kills one coil of the pickup. To do this it would have to be wired to either a mini switch, a push pull pot (a volume control with a switch built in), or to one lug of the Strat 5-way switch.

• Members

yeah bro -

just find the one thats most comfortable for you (they have different sized necks which will feel different, different sized frets that will play differently) and you've got a versatile machine

throw a humbucker or single coil sized humbucker in the bridge and you can cover lots of ground.

and they really can feel and play quite different, so no matter what you hear here about which are the best ones, play alot of them to get a feel for which style you like. you may not realize it now but comfort goes a long way, especially if you plan to keep this guitar

thanks to you all.

i've been searching some stuff and i found this:

http://www.fender.com/products/s1/pdf/AmericanStratHSS011-7000.pdf

according to this pdf, i don't have to put a push/pull pot. i can select 3 SC without having that pot.

The volume pot acts like a push pull. You press the button for the different tone set.

Nice guitar. Looks like 9 distinct settings. I'd like it better if one of the 5th positions split the humbucker to a single coil.

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

The volume pot acts like a push pull. You press the button for the different tone set.

Nice guitar. Looks like 9 distinct settings. I'd like it better if one of the 5th positions split the humbucker to a single coil.

but it does the same thing than a push pull doesn't it?

it means no rewiring!!! yuupiiii

but this is a scheme for an american stratocaster. does this also exist for MIM or MIJ strats? like this, for example http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/en/global/3_0_G_0_GIT0002385-002/0/0/0/detail/musicstore.html

Archived