Greco EG-450 Les Paul. Good or Crap

The NeonSoul

• Members

Well?

I'm asking because I can maybe get one quite cheap and wonder what they are like.

All I know about it is that it is a 1978 Greco EG-450 with a chamberd body and sereial no 8 6305.

Anyone know anything about these guitars and if they are good or not?

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

well, they are definitely good guitars.

at the very least, even the low end models are on par with the Gibsons of that day, if not much better.

Nomination for the most opinionated and un-fact based post of the day. Yeah, Greco is famous for being on par with Gibson. Right. Not.

Now that being said, there are some nice Greco guitars and they are known for being quality units for the most part -- but not all years. I personally am not a Greco expect, I've just played a few over the years. If a bolt-on neck, I might think twice. I have read about them as well and you are doign the right thing about asking questions. They are quality in build, materials okay to really good, and you may want to replace the pups -- but maybe not, depends on how you like the tone.

A friend of mine has a MIJ 70s Ibanez LP (real lawsuit guitar) and it has a bolt on neck. Has excellent tone and playability and I really like it (he won't sell it, picked it up when he was in the military). Not a Gibson though at all. Not sure if the Grecos from the 70s are made in the same factory or not. Maybe someone else can answer that. If so, I'd hit it.

• Members

well the 450 means it sold for 45,000 yen at the time. Considering they had some that went for 120,000~140,000 the 450 is a low end model. As always each guitar should be judged on it`s own merits. I own 3 Greco strats from the mid to late 70s... one from the 600 series, a 700 and an 800 series. The higher you go, of course, the better they get in terms of wood and parts... this should not surprise you. The low end Grecoa are collected here but I`m not sure if it`s because they are really good or just because collectors want to round out their collections. Personally...I`d wanna play it before buying it, which I know is not always possible. Good luck.

Archived