Calling all Carvin players...I need some advice!

tlchase68

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by guitar-fish

chase - I had a Carvin DC400 for a while which was magnificent. I sold it for a plain ole Strat. That's because it was really overkill for me, too fancy, and I'm not a modern metal/shred type.

In any case, it seems every time there's a thread with the word Carvin in it the same few bashers come out with their message that their Carvin's stunk and they got mistreated, so no one should ever buy from Carvin again ever because they are all garbage.
:bor:

I'd recommend you check out the
Carvin Museum
if you haven't already, there's a board over there and the people are very knowledgeable.

I like Carvin, I think they make some beautiful, great sounding stuff.

so you think even though his guitars weren't made to his liking, and he was not treated as well as he thinks he should be, he should just shut up forever about it?

as far as GCDEF's story goes, I've read it here before, and it seems like real life experience - I see him bring it up in Carvin threads regularly, and don't see why he shouldn't - he wasn't happy with what he got

what I don't see (and maybe I missed it) is him coming in and attacking people in the threads - he just states his opinion, which is both valid and educated, it appears - the same as you'd hope any positive opinions to be

any other bashers? I don't know enough about them to bother, sorry

personally - I've only played a handful of Carvins, all used in shops -- while not finding one that I really see as "my" guitar, I have been impressed by the playability and quality of materials

they did some cool looking stuff in the 70s - I like that museum site

• Members

Some thing about Carvins gives me the impression that these are serious tools for making music...not some bolted together contraption like a strat or piece of furniture like a Les Paul.

I'm not a fan of their pickups...I often swap one or two out or mod the electronics...But i do that with most of my guitars...not just Carvins.

Great build quality and components though.

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

so you think even though his guitars weren't made to his liking, and he was not treated as well as he thinks he should be, he should just shut up forever about it?

as far as GCDEF's story goes, I've read it here before, and it seems like real life experience - I see him bring it up in Carvin threads regularly, and don't see why he shouldn't - he wasn't happy with what he got

what I don't see (and maybe I missed it) is him coming in and attacking people in the threads - he just states his opinion, which is both valid and educated, it appears - the same as you'd hope any positive opinions to be

any other bashers? I don't know enough about them to bother, sorry

personally - I've only played a handful of Carvins, all used in shops -- while not finding one that I really see as "my" guitar, I have been impressed by the playability and quality of materials

they did some cool looking stuff in the 70s - I like that museum site

I think these people come off a little to strong for some of our taste. I have owned 3 Fender's in my life time, 2 of the 3 were kinda jacked up, if I responded to a thread titled "How good are Fender guitars" with "Fender's suck, buy a PRS" I would come off as kinda stupid.

• Members
Originally posted by willy4pres

I think these people come off a little to strong for some of our taste. I have owned 3 Fender's in my life time, 2 of the 3 were kinda jacked up, if I responded to a thread titled "How good are Fender guitars" with "Fender's suck, buy a PRS" I would come off as kinda stupid.

you didn't get burned on guitars that were supposedly to "your specs" though

I would imagine buying a Carvin, having it made the way you want, seems even more personal than looking for the "good one" at the store

I can understand taking it somewhat personally when it doesn't work out

just as I can understand a Carvin owner being all hot for Carvins and quick to snap - they have their personal guitar, and it probably feels like a bigger insult to read a putdown on Carvin

but it's the guy's honest experience, and I don't see him being a big douchebag about it, really - I see worse here regularly, in fact

but what do I know? I just bought this:

a8_1.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by tlchase68

... I have also thought about buying a Hamer or some other USA made guitar with a solid build and similar features (to Gibson/PRS)...Then, I can swap p'ups and add Sperzel tuners...

I'll vouch for Hamers... The new ones are pricy but the used (even if it's almost new) is really low priced. :thu:

*for the Carvin-flamer-boys, back off, i'm not dissin anything, just speaking up about something i know. :mad:

Having said that, I've used a Holdsworth Fatboy before. It was pretty cool. Well made and fitings and such are pretty good. My only complain is that the Fatboy is very sensitive, a little too sensitive to touch. and the sound is just a touch thin, not single coils thin but more like a thiner-sounding-hummer. Since you're gonna switch out the pickups anyway, i suppose that's not an issue.

• Members

I didn't say that. From the original post "I want a guitar that is similar to Gibson or PRS in terms of tonal character, but I'd like to keep cost down if possible! ". I just pointed out that both Gibsons and PRS guitars are available at his price point. I paid $919 fo my last DC127, $800 for a Gibson Flying V, and $850 for an SG Standard.

• Members
Originally posted by guitar-fish

In any case, it seems every time there's a thread with the word Carvin in it the same few bashers come out with their message that their Carvin's stunk and they got mistreated, so no one should ever buy from Carvin again ever because they are all garbage.
:bor:

Exactly,, its the same couple Carvin detractors in every Carvin thread.. At first I sympathized with them.. Now they just strike me as whiners..:rolleyes:

• Members

The guy asked for opinions on Carvin, and I gave em. Nice guitars from a terrible company. Now people want to bitch about it. Why don't you Carvin fanboy fags go back over to the Carvin message board and continue suckling the official Carvin teet? :thu::eek:

• Members
Originally posted by RaVenCAD

The guy asked for opinions on Carvin, and I gave em. Nice guitars from a terrible company. Now people want to bitch about it. Why don't you Carvin fanboy fags go back over to the Carvin message board and continue suckling the official Carvin teet?
:thu::eek:

Kind of funny. We post real world experience with Carvin guitars and they jump all over us calling us whiners. You guys that continually pounce on me are the whiners. Carvin makes some lemons. Get over it.

• Members
Originally posted by jjpistols

but what do I know? I just bought this:

a8_1.jpg

A triple coil!

I used to own a Gibson SG that had a triple coil in it. It didnt sound so hot, but played decent.

But whoever installed it really hacked up the SG's wood :mad:

• Members

Wow,,I guess when you throw a rock into a pack of dogs,, the ones that yelp are the ones that got hit..;)

Hey, I've had a problem with Carvin too.. But they made it right and I don't go into every Carvin thread I can find and complain about it like a whiney lil bitch..:wave:

All in all,, I recommend them,, somewhat highly and if the instrument doesn't meet your expectations... SEND IT BACK!!!

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I didn't say that. From the original post "I want a guitar that is similar to Gibson or PRS in terms of tonal character, but I'd like to keep cost down if possible! ". I just pointed out that both Gibsons and PRS guitars are available at his price point. I paid $919 fo my last DC127, $800 for a Gibson Flying V, and $850 for an SG Standard.

I don't think I was actually talking about you specifically, or anyone now that I think about it. Maybe some of us just don't understand where you guys are coming from, and never will. To say a guitar company like Gibson, Fender, Musicman, G&L, Carvin, Martin, Jackson, BC Rich sucks just sounds stupid to my ears. You may have had a bad experience, I know I have had more bad experiences with Fender then Carvin by a long shot, but your not going to see me in any Fender thread saying Fender sucks.

• Members

I don't think I was actually talking about you specifically, or anyone now that I think about it. Maybe some of us just don't understand where you guys are coming from, and never will. To say a guitar company like Gibson, Fender, Musicman, G&L, Carvin, Martin, Jackson, BC Rich sucks just sounds stupid to my ears. You may have had a bad experience, I know I have had more bad experiences with Fender then Carvin by a long shot, but your not going to see me in any Fender thread saying Fender sucks.

Whatever. When somebody starts a thread saying they want Gibson or PRS sound so they're thinking of getting a Carvin, it seemed prudent to me to point out that there are Gibson and PRS guitars available in his price range. I'm going to continue to post my negative carvin experiences when somebody asks, you can keep blowing your Carvin trumpet if you like. I don't see the point in you trainwrecking every thread with your stupid attacks on me or anybody else that had negative experiences. FWIW, if you hop over to Live Sound, you'll see I promote the company because I like their PA products I've used.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Whatever. When somebody starts a thread saying they want Gibson or PRS sound so they're thinking of getting a Carvin, it seemed prudent to me to point out that there are Gibson and PRS guitars available in his price range. I'm going to continue to post my negative carvin experiences when somebody asks, you can keep blowing your Carvin trumpet if you like. I don't see the point in you trainwrecking every thread with your stupid attacks on me or anybody else that had negative experiences. FWIW, if you hop over to Live Sound, you'll see I promote the company because I like their PA products I've used.

{censored} off. You're not a Carvin player. You're a Carvin basher. Go away.

• Members
Originally posted by ibanezhater

Hey flogger,

You are not a Carvin user. Go away.

Somehow I just KNEW you'd throw in your worthless opinion. I swear, you must search for all Carvin threads just to piss on them. Nobody takes what you say seriously. Haven't you realized this by now?

yeah - he hasn't been near as informative and helpful in this thread as you have :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by RaVenCAD

The guy asked for opinions on Carvin, and I gave em. Nice guitars from a terrible company. Now people want to bitch about it. Why don't you Carvin fanboy fags go back over to the Carvin message board and continue suckling the official Carvin teet?
:thu::eek:

Harsh words from an owner of nothing but marginal to {censored}ty guitars. You'd do well to suckle on the Carvin teet to see what a great guitar is like.

• Members

I tried to be a Carvin player, but the guitars were too unreliable. I owned two for over a year each. You?

And no, I won't go away.

Archived