Preamps with "The MOJO"

• Members

As "Painters" of "Sound", when do you grab for your "Mojo" ?

On the other hand, When do you Say "Hey--I don't really want my mojo now".....

Although difficult if not impossible to verbalize emotion and artistic process, and the intertwined relationship with mic selection, would you please share your insights. Don't mean to overlook nor lessen the roles of rythym, composition, feel, melody, nor transparency....

Best Regards in Your Studio,

Greg

• Members

Okay, I want to get to the bottom of this mojo thing too, so I'll present two cents worth of whatever I got. This is likely to cause more questions than answers. Apologies in advance.

Reason #1 to get my mojo on: It's already hooked up

Sometimes I just want to get an idea recorded quickly, so If my mojo is already hooked up I'll use it. Otherwise I'll go with my non-mojo signal path, usually the preamps in my RME FF800.

Reason #2 to get my mojo on: Very simple song with few tracks

Some songs are going to be "guy with guitar" and not much more. So I know at the outset that my mojo won't #^&%$% things up, and besides, the headphone mix will be a pleasure.

Big reason NOT to get my mojo on: Too much mojo is hard to mix

It could be my inexperience, but when I record vocals or vox/guitar through a ribbon mic and Great River preamp it sounds great... until I try adding bass, percussion, pad. Then that big, soft, fluffy track looses definition and all the yummy details I liked so much are covered up anyway. Should have used less mojo. I'd rather re-record than use anti-mojo EQ settings.

I know... I need professional help.

• Members

Every pre-amp I use has "mojo"... however, they all have a different "mojo" that leads to different textures which [hopefully] leads to a series of complimentary musical textures which makes the overall presentation [hopefully] a good representation of the artists' intention.

Now there are "clean" pre-amps with "mojo" and there are pre-amps that exhibit 'distortion' [both phase and harmonic] characteristics that have 'mojo'... and then there are pre-amps I have found to be totally and completely devoid of any form of "mojo", or at least "mojo" I find musically complimentary [Grace, Millennia, Studio Projects, Benchmark, Vintech, Presonus, Universal Audio... to name but a few]... but I won't use those.

Peace.

• Members

konriko_mojo.jpg

If anyone can define what "mojo" is, at least where a mic preamp is concerned, great. Otherwise, I'll continue to sprinkle this on my mixes.

I'm guessing that it's a certain je ne se quois, something that gets you really excited about how the audio sounds, that undefinable something.

• Members

Some days the force is with you some days it never seems right. When I first started out , back when dogs and cats were still fish, I used to keep a notebook. Every time I got a great result with a piece of kit on a particular instrument or just got excited about something in the session I would write it down. ( I can still remember the thrill of turning the multitrack over to get backwards stuff and for around a year in the mid eighties all my sessions featured backwards guitar ). I would write down mic positions EQ settings, effects sends and levels, everything in the belief that I could reproduce that magic any and every time I wanted.

It is a mark of my stupidity that it took me a couple of years to realise that if the vibe isnt there in the session it doesn't matter what you do or how expensive your gear is, you might as well stay home that day and improve your mind with a few hours of daytime tv.

" I got my mojo workin but it just don't work on you" McKinley Morganfield

• Members

Some folks (like GM) would say the mojo should come from thd source- not the mic or pre.

Having said that my primary mojo unit is a GRNV.

However, not all mojo is well suited to all sources.

The GR mojo can build up a bit in the low-mids.

My voice is already a bit heavy in that area.

You gotta make sure you got the right flavor of mojo on the right source.

Archived