Anyone used the Vintech X73?

• Members

I just ordered a Vintech X73 to add to my preamp choices. I'm selling my Avalon M5 to help pay for it. I'm excited to hear the EQ as well as the pre. Sounds like it may be the closest replica to the original Neve 1073's. But I admit I ordered one before hearing it. I guess if I don't like it, I can send it back to Sweetwater.

Anyhow, has anyone used this bad boy on vocals? I tend to sing rock music and I definitely like my Shure SM7b through my API A2D. I use the API for converters a lot and the pre's are great too. I guess I just want that Neve sound on my vocals. For condensers, I own an AT4060 and a Rode NTK. The Vintech unit will arrive on Monday so I will be testing my small mic closet with it. I will post my opinion once I test it.

For rock music, what do you prefer in your experience- a Rode NTK (I know some think it's too sibliant) or an AT4060. I don't hear much about the 4060. I've only tested it with my API A2D. Sounded pretty nice. Nothing amazing, but nice. Opinions friends?

• Members

For rock music, what do you prefer in your experience- a Rode NTK (I know some think it's too sibliant) or an AT4060. I don't hear much about the 4060. I've only tested it with my API A2D. Sounded pretty nice. Nothing amazing, but nice. Opinions friends?

Those are two different sounding mics, so I would say that it depends on the voice. I have used an NTK and own an AT4060 (albeit modified, with different caps and different tube - no, I don't remember what kind anymore). The AT4060 is a very smooth mic, not hyped at all. Although it's a tube mic, it's not really stereotypically "tubey". It's just smooth and fairly neutral sounding. Other mics are more "exciting" sounding for vocals, but this mic...I mean, based on my description, you can pretty much guess when you pull this out...for really sibilant singers (not that it's dark, but it's not hyped in the top end), female singers, jazz vocals, saxophone, violin, etc. It also sounds awesome on bass cabinets and things like that, and I just used it as a room mic for drums and it's probably the best room sound I've gotten so far for drums.

The NTK has more of a rise in the top end, but can work for the right vocalist, particularly male vocalists. If I had to choose between the two mics, I'd probably choose the AT4060 because I think its neutrality and overall smoothness could work in more situations than the NTK.

As for your question about the Vintech, I honestly don't know anything about them and have never used their stuff. The Vintech 72 (which is not what you are asking about) sometimes gets described as "dark". However, a lot of people seem to like it. I think this is the Vintech that Phil has, and he gets really good sounds out of it and likes it.

And of course...we'd all like to know whether the Vintech has that all-too-elusive "mojo". :D

• Members

But I admit I ordered one before hearing it.

Considering it sounds like you've never used a real 1073, how would you possibly know what to listen for? As is true for 99% of the people who buy Vintech gear.

You bought a Vintech X73, not a Neve- but who cares. It will sound more colored than the M5.

Don't worry about the internet BS... Your preamp will never change your life. Lessons will, better instruments will... but a preamp- nope.

• Members

Its not. But if you buy from Musicians Friend or Sweetwater, they would definitely like you to think that..

Considering it sounds like you've never used a real 1073, how would you possibly know what to listen for? As is true for 99% of the people who buy Vintech gear.

You bought a Vintech X73, not a Neve- but who cares. It will sound more colored than the M5.

Don't worry about the internet BS... Your preamp will never change your life. Lessons will, better instruments will... but a preamp- nope.

Sweetwater didn't make me try to buy anything , I knew what I wanted and got 1 year same as cash. Oh and yeah actually I've recorded with several different Neve models including the 1073. So once I receive it, we'll see how it sounds. I did my research on this and it seems pretty promising. Maybe I will run my Shure SM7b through my API A2D A/D converting and use the Vintech pre and the EQ. Anyone else had experience with this preamp? I'm using it mostly for vocals. Male rock vocals that is. I definitely am aware my Avalon is much more clean and somewhat stale sounding on my voice- so I went with the next best preamp I could find after lots of research. I'm getting it Tues. and eventually will post some music up. :p

On tracks 1 and 3, I used a Vintech Dual 72 and an Aphex compressor on the lead vocals, on track 2 I used a Neve 8801. Soundelux ELUX 251 in all three cases.

Personally, I don't really consider the Vintechs to be overly dark, although they are pretty thick in the low mids, and they're certainly not harsh or bright. I like them a lot, and I find them useful, but YMMV.

• Members

Had the NTK, and sold it after about six months... hated it because of the over sibilance... I found happiness with the Shure sm7b... and sometimes the Studio Projects B3.

Archived