best cheap tele copy?

mcdee

• Members

I've been checking out peavey reactor's on eBay for a while now. They're around $100 more than the predators. I got my predator for $96, and I haven't seen a reactor for under 2 bills. Which would put it at the upper end of cheap in my book.

Does anybody know why they're more expensive? Peavey made less of them, probably.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by mcdee

I am looking for a maple neck and a good player.

I am poor so price is a factor to.

Peace Mcdee

Mcdee, what's cheap, in your mind? Are you thinking a maximum of $100? $200? Those two price points can have a pretty big difference in what your options are.

• Members

Originally posted by spadoctor

Turser.....just bought 2 teles....rosewood and semi hollow body...both very nice....each 199.00 delivered!!

+1 for the Tele, even though mine has a maple fretboard.

• Members

Originally posted by mcdee

Anyone play or own a squire tele custom the one with humbuckers?

Yes, I now have two. Waiting on one I just got off of ebay. That one is going to be customized by me. The other one I have I bought new, and I love it (hence the purchase of the 2nd one). I dig the neck - it had some sharp fret ends towards the top, but you actually don't feel them when you play, and they are getting worn down anyway. I like the neck overall a lot. Nice maple fretboard, a small 7.25" radius neck, but I have no fret buzz at all when bending - something I was concerned about. The original humbuckers are decent IMO, others have not thought so. Compared to my Agile LP, they are significantly better. Overall it is a very fun guitar, and doesn't cost a lot. I wish the volume pots had greater range to them. And I think Squier should offer a variety of colors.

So my Custom Tele will be an aqua blue, sort of like a Fender Daphne Blue, and I will paint the pickguard white, and have GFS Dream 180 pups in it, and other good stuff from GFS stuffed in it. I was thinking of doing this and then selling it, but now I will probably keep it. I want a Fat Tele next, so we'll see which one I keep. But I definitely recommend the Custom Squier Tele. One of the best values around. I much prefer it to the Agiles that are popular here, and I own both, so take that for what it's worth. Cheers:wave:

• Members

Is neck fat on those?

Originally posted by IRG

Yes, I now have two. Waiting on one I just got off of ebay. That one is going to be customized by me. The other one I have I bought new, and I love it (hence the purchase of the 2nd one). I dig the neck - it had some sharp fret ends towards the top, but you actually don't feel them when you play, and they are getting worn down anyway. I like the neck overall a lot. Nice maple fretboard, a small 7.25" radius neck, but I have no fret buzz at all when bending - something I was concerned about. The original humbuckers are decent IMO, others have not thought so. Compared to my Agile LP, they are significantly better. Overall it is a very fun guitar, and doesn't cost a lot. I wish the volume pots had greater range to them. And I think Squier should offer a variety of colors.

So my Custom Tele will be an aqua blue, sort of like a Fender Daphne Blue, and I will paint the pickguard white, and have GFS Dream 180 pups in it, and other good stuff from GFS stuffed in it. I was thinking of doing this and then selling it, but now I will probably keep it. I want a Fat Tele next, so we'll see which one I keep. But I definitely recommend the Custom Squier Tele. One of the best values around. I much prefer it to the Agiles that are popular here, and I own both, so take that for what it's worth. Cheers:wave:

• Members

I dunno, I had a very nice older Peavey Reactor... It really did NOTHING for me.. It felt and played cheap, and had a very sterile generic sound.... May have just had a bad one....LOTS of good players find them to be pretty good guitars so I feel mine was just a poor specimen.... bob

• Members

Squier Affinity Tele...the best Tele I've ever played and everyone who owns one on the EG forum says the same thing...I bought mine as a scratch and dent from Music123 on impulse-I believe it's the best $109 I've ever spent:thu:

• Members

Hey,

It's been awhile since I last posted here but this topic is a good re-entry point. Peavey Reactor, imho, is the cheapest, quality tele clone you can get. Caveat: I have not tried all the other tele clones but I have owned an American tele and a tele plus and I have ditched those guitars in favor of cheaper, but quality, clones.

I have wanted a Reactor for quite a long time beacause I have PV's Strat clone, the Predator. Quality guitar with a neck that I just love. I knew that the Reactors had the same necks.

Stock, they are quite capable. But with Fender American Tele pups, the Reactor sounds fabulous. Hey, don't get wrong, if you can get a Fender AmTele the bridge pup is worth the price of admission. Imho, it is the most versatile pup out there.

I also have a Mexi Tele which is also a great player. It had a vintage Noiseless bridge pup installed when I got it and it has more of a traditional tele twang.

Love them both. Don't know what your price or playing preference is(too lazy/inebriated to read prior posts) but you cannot go wrong with either one.

Thanx,

Jim

• Members

I love all kinds of teles too...

In particular, I have a 62 reissue copy made by Fernandes.

It's a great guitar in every way. I bought it new for about $250...I'm sure they're much cheaper now (used).

The only things inaccurate about them are (of course) the pickups, and the headstock.

And, if you really want to be particular about it, then we can also single out that the metal parts aren't as high quality as an MIA...

It makes all the sounds we love to hear though...

Aloha...

• Members

Originally posted by Khan Fused

+1 for the Tradition JR. Fellow on another forum got one new for $240.00. I'm not thrilled with my Jay Turser JT-LT.

yep, supposedly you can get them from adirondack guitars online for around that.

I love mine. way better than my predator which is the closest thing to a reactor I can compare it to.

• Members

Originally posted by RoyMcRoy101

yep, supposedly you can get them from adirondack guitars online for around that.

I love mine. way better than my predator which is the closest thing to a reactor I can compare it to.

I went to the Adirondack site to check out the teles, very interesting for a great price...I even called because their site said they were basswood, but the Tradition site says Mahogany....Dennis said hed find out and get back to me...that was 2 days ago, still no answere...I emailed Tradition on the same day, about the same question and still no answere from them either....

Can you tell me are they made from Mahogany as stated, or are they actually Basswood....

thanks...

• Members

Originally posted by sonrise

I went to the Adirondack site to check out the teles, very interesting for a great price...I even called because their site said they were basswood, but the Tradition site says Mahogany....Dennis said hed find out and get back to me...that was 2 days ago, still no answere...I emailed Tradition on the same day, about the same question and still no answere from them either....

Can you tell me are they made from Mahogany as stated, or are they actually Basswood....

thanks...

mine is def. mahogany.

it is a couple years old, so I don't know if they changed. but the pics on the site look mahogany

• Members

Originally posted by sonrise

Thanks...I gonna try and find a dealer near me that has the black and the natural in stock.....

I've never seen a black one, but the nat's are nice looking. only thing I don't like about the nat's are the inlays on the maple necks.

looks like magic marker.

if they had a natural with just a dotted maple neck I would be all over it. :thu:

• Members

Finally got an answere on the JR series tele....this is straight from the guys at Tradition guitars...the entry level JR's are Agathis, similiar to basswood and considered by some to be the Indonesian version of Mahogany.....and the upper level guitars are true Mahogany as stated.....

they didnt tell me why they use Mahogany in their advertising at their site...but now Im a little leary about buying their product...

Archived