Good, cheap(er) 335-style guitar?

chu2

• Members

Semi-Pro player I know up in St. Louis has been gigging with two stock OE-30 Delta King's for over 3 years now. He has them tuned differently, and uses both of them for his performances.

He said that he hasn't needed to change out any components. Stock electronics, stock pickups, stock tuners, and his guitars are workhorses that get a lot of use.

I've heard quite a few people badmouth the Delta King's, and I still can't figure out why... I've played both of his OE-30's and they are nice guitars that play and sound good..

But some people complain about any guitar that doesn't cost a certain amount of money, or have a Big Name label on the headstock, and harp about how the guitar doesn't have any tone or sounds horrible.

Sometimes I wonder if the 'lack of tone' is the fault of the guitar, or the player. ;)

But this guy is a very good player, and he can make those two guitars really 'sing'.

And yes, he does own some 'high dollar' guitars, but he just prefers to play the Delta King's, as they give him all that he needs for a performance and he doesn't have to worry about dings, dents, or other 'accidents'.

• Members

I'd save a little more and get a Hagstrom Viking, a guitar I am gradually developing GAS for. My justification for buying one is that I do not currently own a semi-hollow guitar. Even my Gretsch Country Classic is fully hollow. And one can never have too many cool guitars can he.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Just so we are all clear on this, you are talking ArtSTAR, not the newer Artcore, right?

That is absolutely correct. I love the Artstars but have been underwhelmed by the Artcores.

• Members

I have a totaly hot-rodded OE-30 I bought from a local store. I don't know how it sounded before, but now that thing is totlly kick-ass. It has the stock body and neck, but that's about it. New pots, 5-way switch (in-series mode, and out of phase mode), rio grandes. I have no clue about how it used to sound, but with that stuff in, it is amazing. Better than any epi I've played, but that could be the extensive mods on it. (I replaced the pots because owner #1 had installed some weird drop-in active tone controls that I didn't care for) total price with pots: 250 USD

edit: I also took the pickguard off, because I fingerpick, and it was shifting around and making noise when I moved, and I replaced the knobs with "aged"strat knobs.

• Members

Thanks, guys. See, the think that bugs me about the OE-30 is teh bolt on neck. One of thereasons I want a 335 is for the easier access to the top frets. But I'll look into all the others.

Edit: Hmm, those Jay Tursers on eBay look pretty appealing, and got good reviews on HC, but those can be subjective. Anyone actually use one?

• Members

I looked at many 335-style guitars as a working alternative to my Gibson 335. The one I like is no longer in production - Vantage 635. I believe this body IS an Epi Dot body. But the neck is maple and a little shallower than my 335's. The stock pickups sound great - very true PAF sounding (like the Seth Lovers.) The quality of the ones I've played has been consistent and far exceeeds a stock Epiphone Dot. I will buy as many Vantage 635s as I can get hold of (as long as I like the finish.)

Archived