2 vol and tone or 1 vol and tone?

Johnstinkpants

• Members

I prefer 1 volume. I don't like switching pickups to have a huge volume change, and if you have two volumes then that means you have to constantly adjust stuff.

I would honestly prefer 2 tone to 2 volume...though that might suck too much tone to be worth it!

• Members

Originally posted by Faber

Seperate vol controls ought to be mandatory on any 2 pu guitar imo. There are a great many shades to be had in the middle position, simply by playing with the setting of the vol controls.

Lets not forget staccato killswitching.

• Members

On a Strat I'm happy with one volume, but yes, on a two-pup guitar, two vols is great. I have considered in the past custom wiring a Tele to change the vol pot to a dual-concentric pot, giving a volume for each pup.

I'm actually no big fan of tone controls on Strats - i much prefer to use different pup selections to give the tonal variations I want, once my amp is set up right. Likely as not, my tone knobs are normally set in the middle and left alone thereafter. On a single pup guitar, it's very different, of cours,e but otherwise.... nah.

When i get around to rewiring my Les Paul to fit the GFS Dream 180s I bought for it (std epi pups are too muddy for my tastes), I'm planning on having the wrinig modded to give me one master tone, a volume for each pup, plus a master volume - that's my ideal on a two-pup guitar.

Archived