Any tips/advice for haggling?

Eye_Of_The_Liger

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

When you do haggle, be polite. Smile. Take your time.

It's all a game and the point of a game is to have fun.

If the game isn't going well, let the salesman "win" (lose)...pick up your ball (billfold) and go home.

As in many things when dealing with other people. It never helps to insult them nor does it help to act like you are their enemy.

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

Thanks,Paris. BTW,you really never thought of actually showing cash in hand? Or never heard of it as a bargaining tool?
:eek:

No, but only because I would never think of doing something so aggressive because I'm not that kind of person. Anyways, actually flashing cash in front of the salesperson's nose, especially at a shop you go to all the time where people recognize you, would make me look like... errrmmmm...kind of a dick?

So yeah, that's why I'd never think of doing something like that, though I do like the idea of just telling the person how much cash you're willing to throw down.

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

No, but only because I would never think of doing something so aggressive because I'm not that kind of person. Anyways, actually flashing cash in front of the salesperson's nose, especially at a shop you go to all the time where people recognize you, would make me look like... errrmmmm...kind of a dick?

So yeah, that's why I'd never think of doing something like that, though I do like the idea of just telling the person how much cash you're willing to throw down.

Actually, the cash play doesn't have to be a "I'm a dick" play.

Instead, it makes you look a bit naive and very ready to buy, since you went to the trouble to assemble your wad just for this trip to the guitar store. There is a bit of Ray Charles "country dumb" about this. It puts the salesman off his guard, since 99% of business is done on credit cards. It also conveys that you only have so much money you are willing to spend and no more, and you have committed to making some purchase (with a credit card, your limit is theoretically the credit limit, ouch). And, especially in mom-and-pops, it plays on a potentially shady profit motive for the seller, in that they can "hide" cash from the books for tax purposes much more easily than they can conceal the e-trail and paper trail of credit card or even check transactions.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Actually, the cash play doesn't have to be a "I'm a dick" play.

Instead, it makes you look a bit naive and very ready to buy, since you went to the trouble to assemble your wad just for this trip to the guitar store. There is a bit of Ray Charles "country dumb" about this. It puts the salesman off his guard, since 99% of business is done on credit cards. It also conveys that you only have so much money you are willing to spend and no more, and you have committed to making some purchase (with a credit card, your limit is theoretically the credit limit, ouch). And, especially in mom-and-pops, it plays on a potentially shady profit motive for the seller, in that they can "hide" cash from the books for tax purposes much more easily than they can conceal the e-trail and paper trail of credit card or even check transactions.

It's actually more profitable for the merchant to take cash, credit cards co's charge a percentage of the sale for their services.

Cash = instant gratification, with no strings:p

• Members

I think this could be a pretty good subject. I'm sorta surprised that I haven't seen a thread like this before.

quote:Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

...BK's rules for guitars: for new, 50% off list, for used, 50% off street.

I read this quote from another thread and it got me thinking about haggling. It would be cool as hell if I could get a deal like above, but I just sort of wing it when I try to get a bargain out of a saleperson at a guitar store. I've got no method, and I'm too much of a nice guy to really grill 'em, so I'm never sure if I got the best deal. Anyone else?

I use a varety of things. First, know the value of things, and have an idea of what your target price is. Knowledge is power!

Second, I always let places/people selling gear know, from the outset, that I already have a ton of stuff back at Casa Krashpad, so I don't really NEED to buy whatever they're selling. You have to kind of do this carefully, so as not to appear to be bragging and not to insult their product (or your likability quotient goes down).

The corollary of this is, uless something is a SUPER deal, don't buy at first sight. I tend to let things sit with the seller awhile, walk away and then maybe check back in a week or even more. If THEY know that YOU know that their product has just been sitting for X amount of weeks/months, again you are bargaining from a position of strength. I let my Fernandes Ravelle sit on consignment in a local mom-n-pop for like 6 months, until my birthday rolled around and I had cash to buy. Iirc they had it listed at $500, I played it and offered them $450 in cash, kindly letting them know (do this at a whisper if there are other customers nearby) that I knew how long it'd been on the wall.

Boom, sale @ $450.

Lastly, the likability factor mentioned previously. Stop in and chat with your local pawnbroker or storekeep from time to time. If you haven't bought anything in a while, though him or her a bone and buy a small item like a CD or picks or something. Be genuine and nice, and shoot the {censored} with them. One time I was in the pawn round the corner putzing around, and some kids came in and were looking at some generic Asian import axe. The pawnbroker hadn't priced it yet, no tag. The kids were like "how much?" The pawnbroker asks me "What do you think?" I looked it over, explained my reasoning, and gave him a fair seller's price. He then gave that price to the kids (they didn't buy it, at least not then, but that's not the point; I was being helpful and friendly). Sellers are people too, they would rather give a good deal to a nice gal or guy than to some a-hole.

Happy hunting!

BK

• Members

As usual, JP is right about this. It's all in how you do it. If you do this wrong, you come off like a dick. If you do it right you're someone genuinely interested in their product.

See my discussion of the likability factor above.

Well, salespeople know the old saying "Cash talks and bull{censored} walks." It's one thing to be told a buyer will bring in cash at some point in the future, but they also probably have the experience of only having a small minority of people actually follow through-- that's just human nature.

I try to always come in with cash if it's a sale I'm interested in and have let sit awhile. At the pawn round the corner, the process is now at a point where the pawnbroker just immediately gives me his best price (always well under the tagged price), because he knows I know what things are worth and won't bite otherwise, and will produce cash money.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Glupak

What about asking for free stuff thrown in? What should I ask for when I purchase a new guitar?

I'd ask what accesories are included, and then mentally work the value into the deal. Do homework ahead of time: know the value of guitars, cases, cords, straps, tuners, picks. If you are making a killer deal haggling, don't sour it with last-minute nickel and diming on picks and a pack of strings. While "package deals" may be attractive, the breakdown on real value is going to be in the guitar and case.

Some guitars are intended by the manufacturer to be sold with case included. However, some shops separate the guitar from case in order to force you to buy separately, and jack up the case price to cover any negotiated losses on the guitar. Be aware!

• Members
Originally posted by GibsonQC

BK always gets himself great deals, so I'd definitely hold his advice in high regard.

:thu:

Is that how you got that LP Classic of yours? I love that guitar!

Hey throw me a fricken bone! I said the exact same thing condensed and get no :love: ...what the f*ck!?

:mad:

:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Lastly, the likability factor mentioned previously. Stop in and chat with your local pawnbroker or storekeep from time to time. If you haven't bought anything in a while, though him or her a bone and buy a small item like a CD or picks or something. Be genuine and nice, and shoot the {censored} with them. One time I was in the pawn round the corner putzing around, and some kids came in and were looking at some generic Asian import axe. The pawnbroker hadn't priced it yet, no tag. The kids were like "how much?" The pawnbroker asks me "What do you think?" I looked it over, explained my reasoning, and gave him a fair seller's price. He then gave that price to the kids (they didn't buy it, at least not then, but that's not the point; I was being helpful and friendly). Sellers are people too, they would rather give a good deal to a nice gal or guy than to some a-hole.

Happy hunting!

BK

Yeah,I've been in my friend's pawnshop a few times while some younger guys were checking stuff out,& been asked my opinion,usually by the guy that runs it.

I'll give it(whatever it is) a once-over,& say something nice about it.Sold some kinda Schecter pretty much on the spot for the guy.

Kinda running interference/buffer,but he's my "go to" guy for set-ups,so I usually get a pretty good deal on those,as well as whatever he has/had that I'm interested in.

When I was in there Sat getting my Epi LPC evaluated,he had just finished tweaking an Applause 12-string ac/el that played like a dream & didn't sound too bad acoustically(new strings).

He said I could have it for a hundred bucks,so I put it on layaway.

It's got some dings from being in the store,but nothing detrimental.I think he actually owned the guitar,as opposed to a pawned item(he's also a dealer).

He also tried to sell my an older Ibanez RG-something for a pretty good price,but I'm just not a H/S/H kinda guy.

• Members

Well,ya,if you do it like that. But if you just say,I'll give you so much for the item now and I have the green stuff in my pocket. Not necessarily waving it under the seller's nose. Just letting them know that absolutely,I have the cash in my pocket. Its always easier to get the best deal this way than if the seller thinks you will be going home to think about it once you get the so-called best price.

Archived