Any tips/advice for haggling?

Eye_Of_The_Liger

• Members

I think this could be a pretty good subject. I'm sorta surprised that I haven't seen a thread like this before.

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

...BK's rules for guitars: for new, 50% off list, for used, 50% off street.

BK

I read this quote from another thread and it got me thinking about haggling. It would be cool as hell if I could get a deal like above, but I just sort of wing it when I try to get a bargain out of a saleperson at a guitar store. I've got no method, and I'm too much of a nice guy to really grill 'em, so I'm never sure if I got the best deal. Anyone else?

• Members

Even BK will tell you that 50% off list is a great deal that doesn't come along too often. He's a notorious cheapskate when it comes to buying guitars. :thu:

More reasonable is to expect somewhere between 30% and 40% off the list price. That depends somewhat on the brand because some manufacturers won't let dealers price things above or below a certain % of cost or list price.

30% of is almost always doable though.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

Even BK will tell you that 50% off list is a great deal that doesn't come along too often. He's a notorious cheapskate when it comes to buying guitars.
:thu:

More reasonable is to expect somewhere between 30% and 40% off the list price. That depends somewhat on the brand because some manufacturers won't let dealers price things above or below a certain % of cost or list price.

Even BK, bargain guitar god that he is, doesn't typically saunter into Mom'n'Pop's Guitar Shop and haggle down to 50% off list on new guitars. Possibly what this 50% business is referring to is keeping alert for blow-out prices and unusual promotional deals, and being ready with cash to jump on these when they come along. The DeArmond closeout at MF a few years back was legendary: X-155 jazzboxes, MSRP $999, were going for $299. The charity-based Ebay BIN's on DeArmond "gumbies" a while back was a similar deal. (The current AMS clearance on old-style Highway 1 Strats comes close.)

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Even BK, bargain guitar god that he is, doesn't typically saunter into Mom'n'Pop's Guitar Shop and haggle down to 50% off list on new guitars. Possibly what this 50% business is referring to is keeping alert for blow-out prices and unusual promotional deals, and being ready with cash to jump on these when they come along. The DeArmond closeout at MF a few years back was legendary: X-155 jazzboxes, MSRP $999, were going for $299. The charity-based Ebay BIN's on DeArmond "gumbies" a while back was a similar deal. (The current AMS clearance on old-style Highway 1 Strats comes close.)

That's what I was trying to say. :thu:

• Members

Even BK will tell you that 50% off list is a great deal that doesn't come along too often. He's a notorious cheapskate when it comes to buying guitars.

Very true. 50% off list is roughly what the store pays for an item, so that's a hard find. Plus it depends on how well the store knows you. If you deal with them a lot they should be willing to give you a little extra off their selling price. I've been buying from the same store for almost 20 years, so they usually give me 10% off what the internet price is.(ie MF, Zzounds, and the like). On used items I try to get them down as far as I can and they still make something off it. If they don't make a profit...they won't be around to give me deals any more.:thu:

• Members

I might as well hijack this thread, since it relates to this.

There's a new-ish (it could've been there for quite some time) Mesa Mark IV sitting in one of the biggest music stores in the city. It's listed as $2400 CDN, but I'm not sure what I should do to haggle it down. I'm fairly youngish (20 this year), so how should I go about haggling? Leave if I don't get the price I want? What price do I want?

:confused:

• Members

There's a lot of theories...don't know if any work but here are some:

Buy at the end of the month

Buy at the end of the day, before the store closes

Go to the coolest guy you can in the store, if possible

Know the product, know what it goes for on the internet or at other stores

Know if the item has been there a long time, they tend to want to unload gear sitting for some time

Some brands just don't go down too much...or at all - Mesa, etc.

Let them give the first qoute, if it's crazy, walk or just nicely ask "so what do you think you could do for me on this "x" gear?". I had one guy give me a really good deal, because I was cool and he said most people just come straight off as an a**, hagglin.

Have an idea what that price you want is, if it's 50% off, say that price and if they don't budge, just say I don't really need it or want it if it's not "x" price (always be prepared to walk). Maybe at another time, they'll come down. I knew people who caried cash, and flashed it before they walked (I personally thought it was cheesy or ??).

• Members

Many stores will do "price matching". If you know the item you want, do some research on line for competitive prices. Oftentimes, internet stores will be cheaper because they don't have the overhead of a regular store. Find the lowest price and print out that page from the internet. Then go to the store and show them the lowest prices you've found and see if they will match or beat it.

It's worked for me a number of times.

Here's a good example. When the Korg microKorg synth came out everyone including Guitar Center was selling them for $399. One day I got an an advertising flyer from my local music store about a big sale, including the microKorg for $299. When I went to the store, they said it was a mis-print and apologized profusely. However, I took the flyer with the $299 price to Guitar Center to see if they would match it. After a bit fo discussion with the sales person and a consultation with the manager, they did it. Usually, they call the other store to confirm the price, but luckily, in this case they didn't, and I walked out with a $100 discount on a $399 item. This situation was kind of a fluke, but what I said above still applies. The price matching thing has worked for me many times.

Another strategy is to set your own price (within reason). Suppose a guitar sells for $1000, you could say something like, "I'd buy it right now for $850". It may or may not work, but it's worth a try. And like others have said, be prepared to walk. Sometimes, they'll stop you before you hit the door when they see you are serious.

• Members

Originally posted by Fl00

I might as well hijack this thread, since it relates to this.

There's a new-ish (it could've been there for quite some time) Mesa Mark IV sitting in one of the biggest music stores in the city. It's listed as $2400 CDN, but I'm not sure what I should do to haggle it down. I'm fairly youngish (20 this year), so how should I go about haggling? Leave if I don't get the price I want? What price do I want?

:confused:

Is it new, or is it used, but like new?

If it's new, as in never sold before, and this store is a dealer, then what you see is what you get. From what I understand (I haven't researched it, but have read about it many times on the board here) Mesa won't allow dealers to sell their products below MSRP. At first, this sounds like a {censored}ty thing to do, but when you think about, it actually protects the dealers. If a every store sells for the same price, then the only reason for a customer to take their business elsewhere is if the store has crappy service.

If it's used, you can bet that they've marked it up to almost double what they paid for it. So, try to split the difference. If they've got it marked at $2400, they probably paid no more than $1500 for it.

• Members

Is it new, or is it used, but like new?

If it's new, as in never sold before, and this store is a dealer, then what you see is what you get. From what I understand (I haven't researched it, but have read about it many times on the board here) Mesa won't allow dealers to sell their products below MSRP. At first, this sounds like a {censored}ty thing to do, but when you think about, it actually protects the dealers. If a every store sells for the same price, then the only reason for a customer to take their business elsewhere is if the store has crappy service.

If it's used, you can bet that they've marked it up to almost double what they paid for it. So, try to split the difference. If they've got it marked at $2400, they probably paid no more than $1500 for it.

Yea, Mesa dealers have a lowest price. If Mesa finds out they sold it cheaper, Mesa won't sell to them any more. That's why only Mesa dealers can get Mesa gear.

As far as finding a good price on a used one...check the local paper, ebay, or try the amp forum. Maybe one of them can tell you what they paid for one.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

One of two things of real value that my father taught me:

- THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER DEAL - makes haggling much more successful when you are truly prepared to walk away unless you get the number you want.

Are you my long-lost brother? This is my father's exact rule of thumb. He actually DOES walk away, and leaves his # when the salesperson is ready to "be reasonable." He waits for them to call & suck up to him. It pained me as a kid to take him to get a guitar that I saved up for months to buy and we walked out empty handed. About 90% of the time, he got his way & we saved a ton, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Darth Dux

Yea, Mesa dealers have a lowest price. If Mesa finds out they sold it cheaper, Mesa won't sell to them any more. That's why only Mesa dealers can get Mesa gear.

As far as finding a good price on a used one...check the local paper, ebay, or try the amp forum. Maybe one of them can tell you what they paid for one.

But why are you trying to buy a Mesa anyway? After some bumblebee in a tin can sounds? BB's in a blender action?? :D

• Members

Originally posted by GibsonQC

Are you my long-lost brother? This is my father's exact rule of thumb. It pained me as a kid to take him to get a guitar that I saved up for months to buy and we
walked out empty handed.
About 90% of the time, he got his way & we saved a ton, though.

:thu: Yep, I went through that with him too. I ended up questioning him about the theory when I got a mint 73 Sg/Case for 199 bucks in around 83 but he stuck to it. Years later we closed the deal on some Martins from a lady and I got the Mint D-35 with the fancy case for $250....as we got into the car he casually said, '"I told you, there is always a better deal".

• Members

Originally posted by joesl8

There's a lot of theories...don't know if any work but here are some:

Buy at the end of the month

Buy at the end of the day, before the store closes

Go to the coolest guy you can in the store, if possible

Know the product, know what it goes for on the internet or at other stores

Know if the item has been there a long time, they tend to want to unload gear sitting for some time

These are good to go by.

An old roomate of mine was a salesman(pretty good one,too),he'd haggle the {censored} out of people just for yucks & giggles & get some incredible deals.

"Be Prepared To Walk" is the best,tho,mentioned a few times!

:freak:

• Members
Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I think this could be a pretty good subject. I'm sorta surprised that I haven't seen a thread like this before.

I read this quote from another thread and it got me thinking about haggling. It would be cool as hell if I could get a deal like above, but I just sort of wing it when I try to get a bargain out of a saleperson at a guitar store. I've got no method, and I'm too much of a nice guy to really grill 'em, so I'm never sure if I got the best deal. Anyone else?

Huh? Why would anyone need tips? You probably know how much you will or want to pay for something and the seller should know how much they want or will sell the item for. Somewhere in that range,there might be a price that works for both sides. Maybe not. Its pretty simple.

• Members

1. Do your research

2. Be prepared to walk away

3. Be firm but keep it fun

4. Be prepared to walk away!!

5. Have cash in hand

6. Seek out the manager

7. Walk, let THEM think about it

Using these rules I've managed to get some killer deals..

Omega seamaster watch at near 60% off

Gibson R8 and near 50% off

Canon EOS20D at Ebay prices

Its also a matter of having the balls to bull{censored} a bit too, have a mate who haggles even better than me.. His ethos is 'when they say no, no more.. Its just beginning!!'

When they start showing you the price list with their 'cost' price.. You are getting close.. But there is still more to go!!

At least 35% off or you are paying too much, but be realistic, pick your targets, a small mum and pop shop can't usually do the deals, if its the hottest doohicky on the planet you won't get the deal.

• Members

Originally posted by platpyus59

People are always more willing to deal if you pay in cash. I have got some pretty good deals by putting what I am offering on the counter in cash. And again be prepared to walk away if you don't get the price you want.

{censored}.... I never thought about that. Good one! :idea:

Archived