Musicians Friend is now possible for UK

• Moderators

Originally posted by StratTone

Man that sucks that the US is such a pain for you guys to get instruments. Is there a way to get a US citizen (like myself) to buy it and send it to you? Or do you still have to pay to get it from me? Anyway just trying to help if there is a way.

That is the route I may go in the end. It would mean the sender significantly declaring a low value and the insurance would reflect this and then send it the most secure way possible. I have now had 2 guiras from Germany of low value and paind no duty or tax. So, when I get rid of everything you can be the go between for my JB Artist:p

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One more thing:

My mate went to the US a couple of months ago, and I took this as an ideal oppertunity to order a Les Paul Junior, and have it shipped to him, then he could bring with him on the plane. Understand I was doing this because at the time, I couldn't find any new non-historic Juniors in the UK. Anyway, I get on the Musicians Friend website, put the guitar in the shopping cart, enter the shipping address and the card holders address, and click order. Then, however, it said it can't complete the order because the card address was outside of the USA. I go onto MF's technical chat thingy, and the bloke on the other end says something about Gibson not wanting their products shipped abroad. I think it assumes that if the card address is outside the US, you intend to use the guitar outside of the US, so MF don't let you. The customer service fella said Gibson were very strict about this.

The solution to this would be get a friend in the states to order it for you, using their card, then go through this company that allows shipping to the UK. Then you'd make arrangements to pay your friend in America.

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

I have now had 2 guiras from Germany of low value and paind no duty or tax.

Well, why should you have paid taxes??? After all, both Germany and the UK are memebers of the EU!

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

That is the route I may go in the end. It would mean the sender significantly declaring a low value and the insurance would reflect this and then send it the most secure way possible. I have now had 2 guiras from Germany of low value and paind no duty or tax. So, when I get rid of everything you can be the go between for my JB Artist:p

Germany is different, though, because it is an EU member state - within the EU, there are no import taxes due, that's the big difference with bringing in something from the US (i.e. outside the UK). If the package is declared at a much lower cost than the actual price by the seller,m you might avoid tax and whatever that way, though then of course you do take the risk of losing everything over and above the decalred cost if it gets lost in the post and you have to claim on the insurance.

• Members

Originally posted by Gochaz

One more thing:

My mate went to the US a couple of months ago, and I took this as an ideal oppertunity to order a Les Paul Junior, and have it shipped to him, then he could bring with him on the plane. Understand I was doing this because at the time, I couldn't find any new non-historic Juniors in the UK. Anyway, I get on the Musicians Friend website, put the guitar in the shopping cart, enter the shipping address and the card holders address, and click order. Then, however, it said it can't complete the order because the card address was outside of the USA. I go onto MF's technical chat thingy, and the bloke on the other end says something about Gibson not wanting their products shipped abroad. I think it assumes that if the card address is outside the US, you intend to use the guitar outside of the US, so MF don't let you. The customer service fella said Gibson were very strict about this.

The solution to this would be get a friend in the states to order it for you, using their card, then go through this company that allows shipping to the UK. Then you'd make arrangements to pay your friend in America.

Not a surprise. I suppose it's understandable, really - they're protecting their own distributors from having to compete with private imports. Of course, I would contend that if they didn't charge such frankly ridiculous prices here in rip-off Britain, then they wouldn't have to worry about that. Naturally, US guitars will cost more in the UK, given they have to be shipped, pay import tax, blah blah blah. However, even allowing for that the mark IMO is still way more than necessary, and Gibsons seem to me to be particularly subject to a brand-related price hike. I'm also slowly becoming less understanding of this rational explanation as it's very clear that even many guitars that the big US companies commission to be manufactured overseas (e.g. Squier, Epiphone, and WHY) are also half the price in the US that they are in UK stores..... This is also true of other sectors, e.g. clothing. The Gap is a fraction of the price in the US that it is in the UK (basically they change the $ to

• Members

I was in the US a few weeks ago. There are some deals to be had for sure (particularly on US-made stuff of course), but it is not the case that everything related to musical instruments is cheaper over there. In fact, some of the music gear I was looking at was more expensive. Remember that their (variable) sales tax often isn't included in advertised prices. I got caught out with that a few times.

The food was quite cheap, though, which figures ;).

• Members

The shipping costs, custom fees and import duties ruin almost all good deals for most eu countries...

So any american forumites coming to the EU in the near(or not so near) future:

I'll pay upfront if you order me an sg jr from mf and take it with you on the plane to Europe. $100 in it for you, PM me.

Cheers:)

• Members

Originally posted by
thom

The shipping costs, custom fees and import duties ruin almost all good deals for most eu countries...

Yes, but only on the American stuff really.

Americans pay import duties on Far Eastern stuff just like we do - and let's face it - that's where a lot of music kit comes from:

Vox AD15VT Valvetronix, made in China:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00272 UK price: $185

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AD15VT/ US price: $180 (+ tax?)

Not much of a difference there.

It's all too easy to look at the prices of Fender, PRS, Gibson, Dr Z., Fulltone, etc in the US, compare them with the UK, and conclude that we're being shafted. The stuff is made in the US - if you accept the principle of import duty, then it ought be cheaper over there, just as UK-made Marshall amps are cheaper to buy in the UK than in the US:

Marshall TSL60, made in UK:

http://www.speedmusic.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_marshall_jcm2000_series01.html UK price: $920

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MAR-TSL60--brand-293.html US price: $1,199

Considerably more expensive in the US.

What it comes down to is that: a lot of the most desirable rock'n'roll kit is and always has been manufactured in the US.

Free trade with the US is looking unlikely, so c'est la vie...

• Members

Originally posted by
thom

Indeed, I was obviously not talking about stuff that costs about the same here, no other reason to have something shipped from the US, right?

Absolutely. Actually, I'm sorry if that looked a bit like the whole post was addressing you directly.

I just wanted to make a general point that not every piece of musical equipment is cheaper in the US (some folks seem to believe that that's the case).

:thu:

• Members

I've ordered stuff from the US before, there is no real way to make a bargain on things sub $1000 as you end up paying the same anyway after shipping considerations and tax.

However, with more expensive stuff you start seeing savings as shipping becomes a more neglegible factor. :)

BTW, if you request that the courier put "gift" on the label of the sent items you often don't need to pay VAT depending on what mood customs are in. :mad:

• Members

My first post here but I thought I would let you know about:

http://www.shopthestates.com/

I haven't used them but they were recommended to me as they have a buying service which you can use to avoid credit card verification issues with online retailers.

Anyway I want to get an Agile from Rondo but I am not sure it will be worth the effort.

Archived