An Auto Tune-ish question

• Members

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any newer versions of Auto Tune or the stuff from Melodyne?

I'm thinking I need some sort of program that will work on an entire vocal file and on individual notes within a vocal file.

I have been thinking of downloading the trial version of Melodyne Uno, which seems affordable and should do what I need..but, wondering if anyone is familiar with any of the various products out there.

I need to tune whole vocal parts and harmony parts to a greater degree than I have been and I have a couple of projects upcoming with marginal vocalists involved.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

• Members

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any newer versions of Auto Tune or the stuff from Melodyne?

I'm thinking I need some sort of program that will work on an entire vocal file and on individual notes within a vocal file.

I have been thinking of downloading the trial version of Melodyne Uno, which seems affordable and should do what I need..but, wondering if anyone is familiar with any of the various products out there.

I need to tune whole vocal parts and harmony parts to a greater degree than I have been and I have a couple of projects upcoming with marginal vocalists involved.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

turn them up really really loud in the first couple of takes. I find a bit of spotlighting goes a long way to fix off key singing.

• Members

I've used the Melodyne plug-in, I think it's version 1, and recommend it for fixing marginal, or even outright bad vocalists (like myself). :) I've had good success with it.

It has a graphical interface, not unlike a piano score window, and the results are usually very natural sounding (not like that stuff you hear from some of today's rappers turned vocalists or that robot-Cher sound). The last time I used Autotune, so many moons ago, I don't believe it had a graphical interface like the one Melodyne has (they might have something like it now - it's been years since I tried it).

You can autotune the whole vocals (there's a way to select all of the vocals and have the program fit them to the scale) or touch up individual syllables, for both pitch and timing.

Also, Melodyne has a new feature coming, called DNA, where you can manipulate polyphonic sources, such as an acoustic guitar playing chords. Do a search on youtube for "Melodyne DNA" (I'm at work right now and cannot, otherwise I'd provide the link myself) - there's a really cool video showing the lead programmer demonstrating it. If you purchase now, the upgrade to access DNA is free, I believe. Nothing else out there (that I know of) can manipulate polyphonic sources like what's being demonstrated by Melodyne's DNA. It's a "Holy Grail" type of application - I'll be upgrading my version when it comes out.

That's my 2 cents...

• Moderators

I like Melodyne as well. I'm needing to up/crossgrade from Uno to the plugin though, as the sync to Pro Tools has never really worked well. I understand the plugin doesn't have any issues to speak of.

Its tuning algo is awesome to my ears. Any tuning app is ugly if you use it without first learning the acceptable boundaries of what it is capable of. And Melodyne can most certainly be driven to be ugly. But... for my way of working, it is the most transparent for the things I need.

I like Auto Tune most for slick, stacked backups.

Melodyne does have some issues tracking gravely voices. For those I'm finding Waves Tune Lite is filling that gap nicely.

Mark, I am not sure if Melodyne Uno or Essential is going to do it for you, unless you want to Rewire it to your DAW... which I've always found kind of kludgy and annoying. You'd need the plugin version of Melodyne to get around that... and I believe that's priced similarly to Autotune. There's a new "lite" version of Autotune available called Autotune Efx, but it only features the automatic mode and doesn't have the very useful (IMO) graphic mode. But for quick and easy pitch correction on a budget, that seems like it would be a good option.

I have a friend who has the plugin version of Melodyne, and he's having to wait what seems like forever (his words) to get their promised upgrade to the newest version with the polyphonic correction capabilities. I think it's been a couple of years now since I first heard them announce that - apparently it's proving to be more difficult for them to pull that off than they had hoped. I can see where polyphonic correction capabilities could be useful in certain circumstances, such as a guitar with one string that was out of tune, but most of the time when you need pitch correction, it's a monophonic source anyway. Still, if the manufacturers can eventually get polyphonic correction working, a lot of people will find a way to put it to use.

I'm still running Autotune 4, and it's been a good plugin for me, although once in a while I do run into some limitations that are probably less of an issue with later versions such as Autotune 5 and the current version, Autotune Evo, so I should probably upgrade soon. When I do, I'll let you know what I think. :wave:

• Members

Mark, I am not sure if Melodyne Uno or Essential is going to do it for you, unless you want to Rewire it to your DAW... which I've always found kind of kludgy and annoying. You'd need the plugin version of Melodyne to get around that... and I believe that's priced similarly to Autotune. There's a new "lite" version of Autotune available called Autotune Efx, but it only features the automatic mode and doesn't have the very useful (IMO) graphic mode. But for quick and easy pitch correction on a budget, that seems like it would be a good option.

I have a friend who has the plugin version of Melodyne, and he's having to wait what seems like forever (his words) to get their promised upgrade to the newest version with the polyphonic correction capabilities. I think it's been a couple of years now since I first heard them announce that - apparently it's proving to be more difficult for them to pull that off than they had hoped. I can see where polyphonic correction capabilities could be useful in certain circumstances, such as a guitar with one string that was out of tune, but most of the time when you need pitch correction, it's a monophonic source anyway. Still, if the manufacturers can eventually get polyphonic correction working, a lot of people will find a way to put it to use.

I'm still running Autotune 4, and it's been a good plugin for me, although once in a while I do run into some limitations that are probably less of an issue with later versions such as Autotune 5 and the current version, Autotune Evo, so I should probably upgrade soon. When I do, I'll let you know what I think.
:wave:

Thanks Phil,

My understanding is that Melodyne Uno is a stand alone program which is fine for my needs. And monophonic is all I need.

Typically I need to do minor pitch correction on lead vocal tracks or individual harmony tracks so a stand alone isn't a problem to work with.

I downloaded the demo version of Melodyne Uno and just have to export it to my music computer and give it a try to see what's up, which is a weekend project. If it doesn't fit my needs I'll see about Auto Tune plug ins.

Thanks again..

Archived