Does anyone here use Reason?

• Members

I have Reason 3.0 but don't use it much. It's great for synth stuff, I just don't use synth a lot. I hear 4.0 is even better. Wait to hear from someone that uses it a lot for better feedback. I mainly use the VI's that came with Pro Tools 8.

• Members

I have reason 4 and I like it. The new arpeggiator is very nifty. Everyone seemed to be raving about Thor when version 4 came out, but I don't see the big deal with it.

Anyhow, it's a sweet app if your looking for some decent software instruments. I think the sequencing, even in version 4 is not worth the time of messing with it. I do all my midi sequencing in pro tools and cubase.

• Members

I have reason 4 and I like it. The new arpeggiator is very nifty. Everyone seemed to be raving about Thor when version 4 came out, but I don't see the big deal with it.

Anyhow, it's a sweet app if your looking for some decent software instruments. I think the sequencing, even in version 4 is not worth the time of messing with it. I do all my midi sequencing in pro tools and cubase.

I was mainly looking at it for drum and beat sequencing. What would recommend for that?

• Members

This. The synths are pretty good and there are a wide variety of sample libraries available for purchase/share. The teaser version is QUITE limited - the upgrade is well worth it. If you are only interested in programming drum hits and triggering drum loops the ReDrum/DrRex combination is OK but a more fully featured host like Live or FL Studio is probably a better bet.

• Members

I've used a lot of programs over the years like Pro Tools, Live, Logic. And have to say that Reason is by far my favorite. It's easy to use and costs a lot less than other programs. The stock drum sounds are okay, but the add on refill is quite good. And it's only $100. Besides its all about the music you make. Not the kind of software you use.

• Members

Reason fan here. Tried it at my friend's back when it was 2.0 and have enjoyed the growth ever since. I love the Abbey Road, Reason Piano's and the Reason Drum's expansions... I recorded this using the Reason Piano patch called "Cold Clock's":

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/181/Grey%20Skies%2C%20Brick%20Buildings.mp3

Drumwise it can be easy to work with, but generally I rewire things right into Sonar to program using the staff view, unless I'm building a weird glitch kit or something. All of the synth style sounds I ever use come from Reason, most of the drums, and the pianos... only strings and guitars/bass dont.

Archived