Found a classic 30 on craigslist, need 'confirmation'.

K3Fallout

• Members

Hi there. You've probably already settled this issue, but here's my 2 cents, just in case.

It's an easy thing, really. Tell your Dad that you see his point now, and that you don't want to get screwed in the transaction.

Ask him which of two plans would be better: buying new or trying out the used amp and making the purchase if it sounds good. Suggest that, either way, you BOTH go to a music shop first, and listen to a coupl eof roughly comparable tube amps, to get a feel for what "normal" sound would be. Check out, for example, a Peavey Valve King, or a Fender Blues Junior.

Then go to the Craigslist place with your Dad. Play the Classic 30 there. (Bring your guitar and a cord.) Then ask your Dad what he thinks.

You can agree to this course even if your Dad is not yet ready to slap down the cash for a new amp quite yet.

The advantages of this plan are clear:
1) It turns antagonism and resentment into cooperation and shared experience.
2) It helps get your Dad out of the "bad guy" role. I'm sure he isn't liking the situation he's in so far.
3) It strengthens his agreement to buy a new amp for you *if* you and he decide not to buy the used Classic 30. You might need to wait a bit, but at least you'll get an amp.

Hitting the music shop and the Craigslist place sounds li8ke a fun father/son activity.

P.S. -- I am a Dad myself, with a 17 and a 20 year old. I know what I'm talking about.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems great. We have done that tube amp testing thing at a music store however. It was around..late June. I still wanted the Classic 30 that time as well so being that a salesman was helping us he plugged me in to an american deluxe strat instead of a mexi strat like i asked for.. and he showed me the peavey classic 30, the fender blues deluxe reissue and some huge 100 lbs valvetronix modeling tube amp.

I'll probably do that but that guy has not emailed me yet at all.

• Members
Originally posted by K3Fallout

Also I got this a lot so I'll just say all of this now:

How old are you?
Let's just say I'm a less popular guitarkid14.

Are you in a band?
since I'm entering highschool and in SF theres a bunch of kids to jam with as one guy said, a band will happen as soon as I find the right people. I think it will be a good experience for me.

How much volume do you require?
:p
Do you need two amps?
The more the merrier right? Plus I can't really make much if I sell my line 6.

Will pedals be a better choice than multiple amps?
I think so,but I don't know much about pedals and setting up a board.

How NICE of gear do you need?

I just need an amount that will keep me content and won't be overboard.

I'm guessing my age is a shock and people will call me spoiled or it will be no surprise. *waits*

on how much volume do you need, 11 is a great answer, but the question was more to mention, how much volume can you play at your place?
for i play in a full band, guitar (me), bass, drums, keyboard and singer, and in our rehearsal room we can turn up as high we want.
i have a classic 30 as my main amp, and at rehearsals i turn it up to 3 max 3.5 out of 12 and it is loud as hell, louder than the drums and the bass, and with the pa we have we almost hear our singer without letting the mic feedback.

i live in a flat and there is no way to play the classic 30 in here cause its way too {censored}ing loud.
i also have a laney lc15r, which is something like a one channel 15 watt version of the classic 30, now its more my spare amp and doesn't get played either cause for my flat the 15w tube amp is still too loud.
i bought the line6 spider 2 15, cause i really could use it at low volumes at home for practicing, the other two i can't.
on the other hand you're 14, you have no driving license for now, if you go to a jam session carring the c30 without a car is hard work or you need to ask your dad to drive you.
if you don't have a place were you can play the c30 and keep it there, this amp is way to big, and a big disapointment if you can't play it in a situation for what this amp was ment.
as i said earlier, in the couple of gigs i played, i was too loud with the c30 at a lower setting than in the rehearsal room, for the next gig i'm thinking useing the lc15r to avoid this troubles again...

so my advice is to wait until you really need the amp, and if you want to go tube now, buy a smaller amp with 15w or less, the epiphone 5w amps sound like a nice alternative...
...as for pedals, it doesn't matter not knowing about, start small, buy one pedal and try out, what some pedals might sound like you can try on your line 6, you don't need a board for a long time, when you starting out with pedals

• Members

Originally posted by K3Fallout

K. He just told me to wait until I get better and when the time comes he will get it for me or a better amp. So,thats the end of that.

i think this is pretty cool, on the one hand you will get an amp and your dad will pay for it, on the other you have motivation to practice to proof him you deserve a better amp.

hey he supports you, even tough if you think he does not.

and your gear what you have is really really nice, being a 14 year old guitarist who plays about one year guitar. be happy.

for me it took me 15 years to get the gear i have now, and most of it i bought the past two to three years since i'm in a real band, and in this 15 years i finished school, did a master in computer science and have a fulltime job for 4 years now,

and the gas was always there from the beginning when i bought my first guitar world magazine and hendrix cd i got big eyes on seeing a fender strat and wanting one, 10 years later i got my first

Archived