Oh that Guitar Center!

StratAttackJack

• Members

Well I always knew I hated going to GC, and a little bit ago I had that reaffirmed for me....

I had to get guitar strings, and GC is the closest to me, so off I go...

Of course I have to play all the guitars I could never afford while I'm there, and immediately grabbed a CAR EJ off the wall (I couldn't believe it was low enough for me to grab) and plug it into a bassman and start jamming. First of all the guitar was {censored}ing sweet and everything I've been gassing over...but anyways....

This sales guy walks up and is like "MAAAAN thats a sweet guitar!" I'm like "yeah" and he starts in saying how he played it over his entire lunch break (the guy hasn't missed a meal in his life I'm sure) and how even though he isn't a fender guy he loved the guitar.

I agree with how awesome the guitar was, but then he starts actually going on about the "specs" of the guitar.

How it has a "Highway One" finish to make the wood grain stand out (this was on the white blonde model

I politely told him that there is no such thing as a highway one finish and that the guitars have a nitro finish, which the highwayone has, but is generally found on higher end models like custom shop.

Then after looking baffled/amused that I knew what I was talking about, he stated something about the "24 frets" make it a cool guitar.

I then showed him the guitar was in fact equipped with 21 frets and he was bewildered, because "24 fret guitars are for the serious guitar players like shredders..."

:freak:

It got worse when I pointed out how botched the neck pocket was on the white EJ and he had no idea what I was talking about.

I could keep going but it's already long....so in the end I bought some strings and left, surprised that I didn't laugh in the guys face.

End of rant

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

leave the poor fat gc employees alone asshole :mad:

how would you like it if someone came into your job and knew more than you and made you look like a {censored}ing idiot in front of everyone?

the guy was just trying to be nice. THATS IT. HE WAS TRYING TO BE NICE TO A CUSTOMER. The customer is always right, some customers are just assholes. Maybe his main instrument isn't even guitar, DID YOU THINK OF THAT? Or maybe he normal doesn't even work in the guitar department and just got assigned to that area because they were short staffed and just needed someone to be able to act friendly, pull guitars down, plug them in for people and ring them up and the cash register.

jesus. you people expect to much these days.

And what the {censored} is with going in and playing a bunch of expensive guitars that you will never buy?

Do you go out and test drive BMW M3s and Mercedes SL500's and then go buy a {censored}ing Kia? Idiots.

leave the poor gc employees alone.

• Members

Originally posted by red|dragon

how would you like it if someone came into your job and knew more than you and made you look like a {censored}ing idiot in front of everyone?

I'd feel like ass and would do what it takes so that it doesn't happen again, and I am the knowledgeable one as opposed to the idiot with a badge. But that's me.

• Members

Wow this thread got hot quick.

I think it is hilarious that GC has employees that don't know {censored} about what they sell.

BUT!

I think it is kind of pathetic that you gripe and moan about these employees. Maybe guitar ISNT his instrument? Maybe he WASNT supposed to work that department. Maybe he works in the back stacking boxes for all you know. He WAS doing his job, he WAS being hospitable and friendly. What if hee walked up to you and told you to put down that $1000+ guitar you were playing for the hell of it unless you planned on buying it, because he may not have known a lot about guitars but he did know that 1k is a good bit of money.

So yes ... GC should probably hire knowlegable employees or maybe they should have a whole "Get to know your GUITARS!" seminar that half of the employees would sleep through anyway. Hell I think that they should, it would help them help the customer. But just because this guy didn't know his {censored} doesn't mean you go into the store and {censored} with him and make his day worse. Would you like it if he came into your work and gave you a hard time?

• Members

I work (own actually) a cartridge refill station. If one of my employees or myself started selling the wrong cartridge to the wrong printer, and the customer complained, is it the customers fault? No. They came to me because this is my profession - this is my way to make a living. They come to me because I (am supposed to) know more about carts and printers than they do. It's the same at burger king, american airlines, and the dentist office. We go there because the people working are supposed to be informed of the products they sell. If you don't know your product, find a new job.

You wouldn't deal with it from your pizza guy "uggh this pizza comes loaded with gooda cheese and twenty eight toppings" and you shouldn't have to deal with it from your guitar salesman.

• Members

Originally posted by sapphireskiss

I don't even know where to start with you:o

What kind of dickhead makes it his goal to belittle someone at their work just for the joy of getting on the internet and bragging about it? Do you feel like a hot shot because you can say this kid didn't have all the right answers for you? What kind of douchebag goes into a store just for strings and tries every guitar just waiting for the chance to {censored} with the employees?

You're an ASSHOLE and guess what I'm sure they all had a good laugh at your expence Mr. Know it all:wave:

Who got you and your gay roommate in the post before you panties in a wad?

Do you point at the pepperoni pizza you're delivering to a customer and say "here's your Veggie Lovers pizza"? If you do that more than a couple of times Pizza Hut should fire you.

• Members

Originally posted by CorkyMcGee

I work (own actually) a cartridge refill station. If one of my employees or myself started selling the wrong cartridge to the wrong printer, and the customer complained, is it the customers fault? No. They came to me because this is my profession - this is my way to make a living. They come to me because I (am supposed to) know more about carts and printers than they do. It's the same at burger king, american airlines, and the dentist office. We go there because the people working are supposed to be informed of the products they sell. If you don't know your product, find a new job.

You wouldn't deal with it from your pizza guy "uggh this pizza comes loaded with gooda cheese and twenty eight toppings" and you shouldn't have to deal with it from your guitar salesman.

Very good point. And I agree that is how things should run and work at GC. All I am saying is if this guy is feeding you wrong information, ignore him, go find another sales representative who knows their {censored}. If there are none, dont shop their. But if you are going there to buy strings already knowing that they are ignorant of guitar information then go their and buy your strings and leave. But if you go in there and play the instruments you might as well get ready for it, because you brought it on yourself.

Simple solution, don't go there. Yes it is closer but if you want quality service, go to where there is quality service, even if requires an extra drive.

Heck your lucky, there are no good guitar stores here.

• Members

It ain't hard to spot a bad pizza delivery dude!!!!!!!!!!!

:thu:

• Members

"Hey honey. You shoulda been there. I pwned this guy at GC. He was like sooo stupid. Dumb as a rock. But I showd him! I made it clear that I knew more than he did. I could run that whole store. I am never going back to the place that sells my strings the cheapest ever. Oh-My-God." :rolleyes::freak:

the next day....

"Hey honey. Today I'm going to go to Walmart and ask the guy in the electronics department which tv I should buy, what the difference is between plasma and lcd technology, and what tv he recommends and why. Boy I am going to pwn him. He's not going to have a clue!" :rolleyes::freak:

• Members

I don't see how anyone can come to the defense of an incompetent employee. It's an epidemic in the United States. I don't care what you are selling, you should know your product. Period. Otherwise, you should be fired. Would you want your teenage son or daughter walking into GC to buy their first guitar and having a salesperson like that help him or her?

I found a completely different mindset in Europe. The guitar salespeople, for example, on Denmark Street in London really knew their {censored}. Young employees in pubs, restaurants, and shops seemed much more serious about their jobs and much more willing to help customers.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeffrey

I don't see how anyone can come to the defense of an incompetent employee. It's an epidemic in the United States. I don't care what you are selling, you should know your product. Period. Otherwise, you should be fired. Would you want your teenage son or daughter walking into GC to buy their first guitar and having a salesperson like that help him or her?

I found a completely different mindset in Europe. The guitar salespeople, for example, on Denmark Street in London really knew their {censored}. Young employees in pubs, restaurants, and shops seemed much more serious about their jobs and much more willing to help customers.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending this guy. I still think GC should hire employees who know what is what. But that doesn't mean you have to go and give the guy a hard time and also make fun of his weight.

It's not HIS fault GC hired an incompetant employee.

• Members

Some of you guys don't get it...IT'S A BIG BOX STORE. What are your expectations? You can't have your cake and eat it too. I like getting a guitar for 15 percent over cost on occasion. Attracting and retaining highly qualified employees is expensive. Complaining about incompetance at GC is eating into MY bottom line when I want cheap gear. In the end, I make the decision about what I want to buy based on what I hear and feel; I don't base it on what a salesman says to me. Look at it this way: 3/4 of a supermarket inventory of 200,000 items is consumables; I don't expect the cashier to be a nutritionist or a food scientist. {censored}, I don't even expect him to know the price.

The computer tells us that. Just ring it fast and bag it up. That's my expectation at GC too.

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

Some of you guys don't get it...IT'S A BIG BOX STORE. What are your expectations? You can't have your cake and eat it too. I like getting a guitar for 15 percent over cost on occasion. Attracting and retaining highly qualified employees is expensive. Complaining about incompetance at GC is eating into MY bottom line when I want cheap gear. In the end, I make the decision about what I want to buy based on what I hear and feel; I don't base it on what a salesman says to me. Look at it this way: 3/4 of a supermarket inventory of 200,000 items is consumables; I don't expect the cashier to be a nutritionist or a food scientist. {censored}, I don't even expect him to know the price.

The computer tells us that. Just ring it fast and bag it up. That's my expectation at GC too.

Word

• Members

They come to me because I (am supposed to) know more about carts and printers than they do. It's the same at burger king, american airlines, and the dentist office. We go there because the people working are supposed to be informed of the products they sell. If you don't know your product, find a new job.

Then you can shop at the store where they are stock full of guys who know everything about neck heels and highway 1 paint jobs and pay $2000 for a Strat. I'll go where I can get one for under a grand AND actually play it before I buy it.

When I can afford ZVEX pedals and vintage Les Pauls, I'll go to the 'smart salesman' store.

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

Sorry. Hate to burst your bubble. Wildwood will beat GC's prices every day of the week, and you will get better gear to boot. Steve pays his sales staff very well and even takes them to England on occasion. Guitar Center has very few good deals. Their "SALES" are a joke. Of course MF is the same thing without the incompetent sales people. The only good deals are on guitars that NOBODY wants (Hofner Colorama) and gear that was overpriced to begin with (Epiphone Elite). Everthing else is shamefully overpriced because they have to cover their supposedly free shipping. $2600 for an ES 335? Give me a break.

Archived