Oh that Guitar Center!

StratAttackJack

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by StratAttackJack

I agree, I didn't ask for any advice! If you read my post, I grabbed the guitar off the wall, and this guy came up and started yappin at me, I honestly played it because I wanted to, I obviously know about the guitar (i've done much research), I just wanted to play it man!

No, I read your post. The salesmen are there to sell you stuff. By walking through the turnstyles, you agree to let them try. It's hard to get outraged about a salesman trying to sell (and EVERY salesman lies.)

• Members

Originally posted by ExtraGum

No, I read your post. The
sales
men are there to sell you stuff. By walking through the turnstyles, you agree to let them try. It's hard to get outraged about a salesman trying to sell (and EVERY salesman lies.)

What a sad world you live in dude, I know many reputable salesman that don't lie.....they are the ones I go to when I am aiming to buy something.....and I'm not outraged, I thought it was hilarious. Its like your putting words in my mouth for the sake of arguing, and I don't get it.

• Members

What a sad world you live in dude...

Yeah, it's called the planet earth.:rolleyes:

Antyhow...you seem to have a knack for finding the underlying drama in everyday life. Maybe you should write a song about it!:D

• Members

Actually I was really polite......

you must like being fed bull{censored}!?!?!
:freak:

Quite a hypocritical statement. You say you were being polite, however you come here and talk {censored} about how you "served" this guitar center employee. however you say he was feeding you bull{censored}. Wasn't your politeness then really bull{censored}?

• Members

I wouldn't want to visit a dentist and know more about root canals than the guy hovering over me. Having said that however, employees at Guitar Center don't go to school for years to learn the craft and most don't have 25 years of experience behind them to lean on (as do I). When I'm told information that is completely out of right field, I'll politely correct them with hopes they'll pass it on to a future, prospective buyer.

Making fun of low-wage salespeople makes about as much sense as a father making fun of his son for knowing less about life than he does. Sure, the "I would study everything I sell as much as possible" is the collegiate answer but that's hard to do when you're spending most of your time standing on a ladder, retrieving guitars to folks with no intention at all of buying anything.

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

Gone? Like away? Like how?

they are in a 1 billion dollar lawsuit right now..

And if they lose, you can bet that they will have to sell off a lot of their stores to make the payoff.

I don't think they will truly disappear, but they will for sure, have to make a lot of changes from what they are now.

• Members

Salespeople like that could get a company into a lot of trouble here iun Ireland. We have laws (the Consumer Information Act 1978 to be precise), which prohibit stores from making false written or spoken descriptions of their wares, whether it was intentional or not. They could end up in court and face a heavy fine if they employed idiots like that.

• Members

A friend and I recently had a dialogue of what we would do if we were a GC or SamAsh sales person:

1. When you first engage a customer, ask some questions and size up what he/she knows and proficiency.

2. Show them what they want.

3. Do not make subjective comments like "That's a great sounding guitar!" or "That guitar is just YOU!"

4. Stick to the facts, be quick and courtious and try not to walk by anyone without at least making eye contact so they can stop you and ask a question.

The problem with this is there will always be some jerk out there that will think a salesman should just KNOW that the customer is better than the sales guy, maybe better than all the Vai's, SRV's and Hendrixes ever born AND their guitar techs, and will get offended by the sizing him up process.

That's the musical ego we all have.

That's why I make a living in Information Technology :-)

• Members

I don't get it. If you're lucky, there is a GC or comparable size guitar shop within driving distance to your home so you can see, touch, feel and hear such a vast assortment of quality gear.

Most folks working in music stores seem to be struggling to get by. They are scraping together a living. If these folks greet me with a smile and don't flat-out insult me while I'm in their place of work I'm happy. If they are superior sales people or exemplary guitar techs, let's hope that they move up in the world and start earning a few more bucks for their effort, performing a service that is a bit less mundane than tolerating your overblown ego.

Do you folks who complain about clerk quality at GC go into Denny's and send back forks for not being sharp enough to properly skewer your meatloaf?

Lighten' up, man.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

This thread is insane. Who cares if the GC employee doesn't know {censored} about guitars. You should be an informed consumer and not rely on the salesman to fill you in on all the features.

Truth. And luckily, this time, the OPer was an informed educated consumer. But what happens is salesman X continues his ways and eventually finds someone who isn't? Is it the consumers fault for believing an "expert" (after all, the store is the center of all that is guitars)?

I can just about imagine how many kids walk out of there with 28 fret ibanez koa mahagony les paul stratocasters around christmas *shudder*.

• Members

Originally posted by CorkyMcGee

Truth. And luckily, this time, the OPer was an informed educated consumer. But what happens is salesman X continues his ways and eventually finds someone who isn't? Is it the consumers fault for believing an "expert" (after all, the store is the center of all that is guitars)?

I can just about imagine how many kids walk out of there with 28 fret ibanez koa mahagony les paul stratocasters around christmas *shudder*.

It sucks but that's why people say "let the buyer beware". Every store I go to I just assume that the salesmen have no clue what they're talking about. When I make big ticket purchases I make sure that I research it before just plunking down my cash at the first store I come across.

Does it suck that people get screwed and mislead? Yes. IS it preventable by doing your reasearch? Absolutely.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

so... all in all, you had a better experience than we usually do at GC
:D

LOL

I recently had to explain how the new Michael Kelly Hybrid works to a GC s-person. This after the guy explains that the "tone control" really rolls off the highs ....

but to his credit, he DID score me a fender 2x12 amp box for shipping purposes.

• Members

I'm not excusing lack of knowledge, or giving outright misinformation, but the GC gig is hard. Not to mention that there is a {censored}load of gear that one is "supposed" to know every detail about.

Speaking from experience.

Ultimately I think some of the blame lies with GC. The pay structure is pretty harsh, and the commission tier requires at least an abacus to figure out. I'm hesitant to say too much (I did sign a NDA), but I wil say that I lead my dept in sales (3rd in store), and never got a commission check. Not once. I mean, when you're making $7/hr, what kind of employees are you really going to get? And the good ones probably won't stay long.

My job consistened largely of demo'ing guitars for people who had no intention of buying them, who would then ask for outrageous deals (An American Strat for $350? I think not.......). Or selling $170 guitars. Then I got promoted. Which meant a bigger % commission that I wouldn't see and now I had to spend time dealing with inventory and authorizing returns. While the expectations for my sales numbers went up.

Archived