are there right and left handed pickups?

bluefoot

• Members

I had Sam Ash order me 2 fender vintage noiseless pickup and a fender hot noiselss for the bridge...the guitar tech actually put in the order and he is aware that I am left handed...question because looking on line I don't see a left handed version of the pickups...are these pickups the same regardless? cause looking on line it says they are staggared (at least I think they are) and I would assume this could be an issue....thanks...

• Members

Theres no such thing. The absolutely only diff if one made a "left handed" pup would be the brand name. It'd be on the left side instead of the right. Hardly worth caring about & no reason for pup makers to make ones with the logo on other end. Theres no such thing as pole peices just for the low or high E side.

• Members

Some manufactures offer a reverse stagger strat pickup. Many players felt (feel?) that this was one piece of the Hendrix tone (gees, it couldn't be the fingers could it?) - that when Jimi flipped a right handed strat over he ended up with pickups with a reverse stagger. I'm not what Fender did (or does now) with left handed strats - do they use a right handed pickup, or do they reverese the stagger? I don't know. Of course, all of this is a moot point with a pickup with flat pole pieces.

• Members

Originally posted by bluefoot

so even it staggered it really doesn;t matter?

If the pickup is staggered, yes it will make a small difference. Take a look at a vintage strat pickup's pole pieces; some are taller, some are shorter. For instance, the high E and B strings have shorter pole pieces than the other straings. If you flip this around, this will now be under the low E and A strings. This will change the sound somewhat.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

The difference between the right and left hand stagger is simply the place where the logo is on the cover.

Just turn it the other way round and it'll work as expected.

I've wondered about that in the past; all the pups I've worked with though are set with the wiring coming out a specific side... assuming that could be moved, then it would be a simple matter of turning them the other way. If all the wires were fixed to point towards the neck rather than the bridge, it'd be a bit of a pain setting everything up on the plate and avoiding kinked wires. Could be done, just something else to watch.

• Members

Originally posted by bluefoot

my guitar seems to hold better using my lefty strap as well...plays great through my lefty cable into my lefty amp...

get some NOS lefty strings, and your jaw will hit the floor at the difference.

• Members

Fralin.jpg

Antiquity.jpg

The first picture is of a Fralin Vintage Hot with traditional stagger.

The second picture is of a Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot, also with traditional stagger. If you can't see that the pole pieces are of different heights, and that flipping the pickup around will yield pole pieces of different height being under different strings than is traditional, I suggest you make an appointment with an optometrist.

I don't know if the Fender Vintage Noiseless have the traditional stagger or not, but if they do there definitely is a difference between right handed and left handed set.

• Members

Originally posted by Darkstorm

Theres no such thing. The absolutely only diff if one made a "left handed" pup would be the brand name. It'd be on the left side instead of the right. Hardly worth caring about & no reason for pup makers to make ones with the logo on other end. Theres no such thing as pole peices just for the low or high E side.

Actually if you look at the pictures below, you'll see that with vintage strat pickups there is a difference between a right hand and left hand pickup. Now whether Fender ever wound any left hand pickups I don't know, but other manufactures do.

• Members

Originally posted by Trebor Renkluaf

Actually if you look at the pictures below, you'll see that with vintage strat pickups there is a difference between a right hand and left hand pickup. Now whether Fender ever wound any left hand pickups I don't know, but other manufactures do.

Those pictures. Are they left handed above, because I can't see them below. :confused:

Archived