Roland Micro Cube Opinions

burton4snow

• Members

Not a bad amp. It's perfect for teachers to have around for their students, I think. My buddies plug in when they visit. It's okay. The Roland JC clean channel, no surprise, sounds best to me.

I don't lug mine around when I'm jetting with my travel guitar, but I do bring it along on family vacations.

It doesn't model like a Line 6, though. My gearbox software that came with my Toneport blows away what I can coax out of the Microcube, and my friends Spider ($75 more and not so portable) puts the Microcube to shame.

For the same price, if I had to do it over again and since I mostly play Blues and Classic Rock, I think I'd lose the Microcube and check out an Epiphone Valve Junior combo.

It is kinda cool to battery power the thing. The batteries last about four hours.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

Hey Burton, here's a thought.

I already gave you a response in your "sister" thread, but consider this

Do you need to have it battery powered?

If the answer is "no",

Then forget both the DA5 and the MicroCube

Instead get a Vox Pathfinder 15.

It just occurred to me that in both threads you mention that you are going to get your DSP from your Pandora, so in that case you can get the 15W, 8" speaker Vox Pathfinder, which is cheaper than either, and get a much better sounding practice amp with a lot more headroom.

But if you need the DC, fugettaboutit.

Does the Vox Pathfinder stay on the same setting when you turn it on and off. Someone said the DA5 doesn't. That is a must because I just want to turn it on and off from a switch on an extension cord and run the sound from pandora. I'm Lazy!:freak:
Also I'm a newbie, so what is DSP and DC mean?

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

Someone said the DA5 doesn't. That is a must because I just want to turn it on and off from a switch on an extension cord and run the sound from pandora.

I'd definately check out the Vox DA5. The knobs settings stay set where you leave them. You do have to reset the speed for delay which just takes a couple taps on a knob. It also has a slightly larger speaker, which IMO makes a big difference. I went to get a Microcube and came home with the DA5. Both are really nice battery powered amps though, can't really gpo wrong with either. Great for taking anywhere.

• Members

Use your hifi. It is stereo and so can reproduce the stereo effects of the Pandora and it is cheap so you can save your money for a real amp later.

The microcube and DA5 is just more of what you already have with the Pandora - a portable, battery powered amp.

If haven't already done so then get some decent headphones to use with the Pandora - it makes the world of difference.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Use your hifi. It is stereo and so can reproduce the stereo effects of the Pandora and it is cheap so you can save your money for a real amp later.

The microcube and DA5 is just more of what you already have with the Pandora - a portable, battery powered amp.

If haven't already done so then get some decent headphones to use with the Pandora - it makes the world of difference.

The HiFi is going to be a problem. I'm just looking for something the Pandora will sound good through. That is varily small because I don't have alot of room. I use some great headphones now, but when I plug it through my GDEC is sounds {censored}ty. Would a PA speaker work? It doesn't have to be awsome just better than the little battery powered Marshall Micro Stack I have. How is that VOX Pathfinder that sounded Like a good option.

• Members

The HiFi is going to be a problem. I'm just looking for something the Pandora will sound good through. That is varily small because I don't have alot of room. I use some great headphones now, but when I plug it through my GDEC is sounds {censored}ty. Would a PA speaker work? It doesn't have to be awsome just better than the little battery powered Marshall Micro Stack I have. How is that VOX Pathfinder that sounded Like a good option.

The Pathfinder is small, cheap, great clean, reverb, and very loud for 15 ss watts. Sounds like what you want.

• Members

Yes a powered PA speaker would work pretty well.

The Pathfinder would also be OK and may be a bit better than the GDEC, but if you already have a GDEC, I don't really understand why you want to run the Pandora through it - it already has most of the same stuff built in.

If you don't like the GDEC then sell it and get an amp you do like. You could either get a decent modelling amp - I'd suggest the VOX Valvetronix range - or save and get a decent tube amp.

If you do like the GDEC then why do you want to amplify the Pandora?

• Members

The effects out of the Pandora through headphones sound way better than the GDEC through headphones. I mostly use headphones but once in a while when the wife isn't home I want to hear my playing through an amp. I like that I can sit playing and reach over and work the controls of the Pnadora. The GDEC is alot more difficult to manuever through to get a sound you like. Also, there is no clean channel and when you start it up it always goes back to the first preset channel and you have to scroll through everything to get to what you want. I probable won't sell it because I can see myself using it somewhere down the line and selling {censored} is a hassle to me. This is just a hobby to me so if I get a decent sound out of an amp with the Pandora, hopefully this Vox Pathfinder I am looking at getting, then I am pretty much done. I have a den in the house my wife and I own and thats my space. The rest of the house is hers. I have already got that space full of snowboards, computers, stereos, cd racks, and now guitars and amps- no room more for a big amp. I hope that answered all of your questions. Thanks for caring so much about my situation to ask about it.:freak:

• Members

Does the Vox Pathfinder stay on the same setting when you turn it on and off. Someone said the DA5 doesn't. That is a must because I just want to turn it on and off from a switch on an extension cord and run the sound from pandora. I'm Lazy!
:freak:
Also I'm a newbie, so what is DSP and DC mean?

Yes, it does. Since the setting is set with the knobs on the amp.

The "keeping settings" thing is a non-issue for you, since you'll be getting your effects through the Pandora.

DC = runs on batteries. And yes, if you don't need this you should be looking at the Pathfinder over either then Microcube or the DA5.

• Members

The effects out of the Pandora through headphones sound way better than the GDEC through headphones. I mostly use headphones but once in a while when the wife isn't home I want to hear my playing through an amp. I like that I can sit playing and reach over and work the controls of the Pnadora. The GDEC is alot more difficult to manuever through to get a sound you like. Also, there is no clean channel and when you start it up it always goes back to the first preset channel and you have to scroll through everything to get to what you want. I probable won't sell it because I can see myself using it somewhere down the line and selling {censored} is a hassle to me. This is just a hobby to me so if I get a decent sound out of an amp with the Pandora, hopefully this Vox Pathfinder I am looking at getting, then I am pretty much done. I have a den in the house my wife and I own and thats my space. The rest of the house is hers. I have already got that space full of snowboards, computers, stereos, cd racks, and now guitars and amps- no room more for a big amp. I hope that answered all of your questions. Thanks for caring so much about my situation to ask about it.
:freak:

Use the stereo. It will sound much better than any of the amps you are considering.

• Members

I tried out a Microcube a few months ago for a travel amp for when the Smokey just isn't enough. The ability to plug in an mp3 player is also attractive as on a holiday where that went with me I'd likely use it as a "stereo" as well. FWIW, I was extremely impressed, way over and above what I had expected. The basic sound of the amp sims are good, the effects aren't bad either. The way the effects are set up you can't use them much and you don't have much control over them (the lfange is only really good for Dalek noises, for example), but for a travel amp, fine - especially if you're not really that into F/X. I was also actually extremely impressed with the acoustic sim sound coming from that amp in conjunction with my Steinberger. I'd have bought it right off had the Vox DA-5 not been around - still need to get around to trying them both out together. The Vox does have a better spec on paper (especially like the power variation ability) plus all my other main amps are Vox now... so I'll have to see. Even if I do decide to go for the Vox, if a Microcube came along at a steal used, I think I'd still pick it up too.

As others have said, though, if low wattage and battery power are not important to you, the Vox Pathfinder might be a better option - with the processor you have, you probably only need a good clean sound, so no need for much of what the DA-5 or the Microcube have to offer. I might also suggest (they're much cheaper than the Vox over here) - a Squier Sidekick or SP-10 - dirt cheap, and IMO they have a perfectly acceptable clean tone. One of these has been my main travel amp for a long time, and it'll still serve as a bedroom amp once I replace it for travel purposes.

Archived