Your favorite/Best Hendrix songs?

rcervera

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Nirvana728

Castles made of sand.

It's a good song, and I can usually forgive most grammatical mistakes in popular music, but "And so castles made of sand, slips into the sea..." just kills me.

• Members

So many great ones in such a short career. That being said, a few that come to mind: Machine Gun (of course!), Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), Wind Cries Mary, Roomful Of Mirrors, Little Wing, Hey Joe, All Along The Watchtower (best cover EVER), I Don't Live Today, Foxy Lady, Third Stone From The Sun...:thu: :thu:

• Members

I've always really dug Axis: Bold as Love. I think machine gun is great. I love 1983 and pretty much anything else off of Lady land....I love I don't live today and Are you experienced used to be the song I would get ready too when I was going partying.............Awe hell I love Hendrix and pretty much everything he recorded.

• Members

Originally posted by septopus

It's a good song, and I can usually forgive most grammatical mistakes in popular music, but "And so castles made of sand,
slips
into the sea..." just kills me.

That may be an intentional mind bender, starting a sentence with one idea that appears to be going somewhere and then sending it with a twist somewhere else, just to spice up your space-out.

"And so castles made of sand, slips into the sea..." could also read, ""And so castles made of... sand slips into the sea..." So, it is the sand that slips (and the castles are left hanging in your subconscious).

At a poetic level this makes (some) sense, especially as it echoes the plight of the girl in the wheelchair. She intends to go the route of the sand into the sea, but, owing to the distraction of the ship is left somewhere else like the castle.

Maybe.

Neil Young and Bob Dylan also do stuff like this: take you on one road but drop you off on another with wordplay. Ambiguity is a huge part of rock lyrics.

• Members

Lot of great ones have been mentioned and no point in me repeating any of those.

One that's always been a fav of mine but you rarely see mention is Look Over Yonder. Love that tune and the guitar solo smokes!

You made me bust my guitar string!

:thu:

Archived