Gold Tops - Yay or Nay

TheDove

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by BootRoots

It started its life as a stock 69RI Thinline. I had fellow HC member and ReFin Guru, Don DiMasi (aka Shovelhead) finsih the top in gold and he painted faux cream binding on it as well. Then he routed the neck for a bucker. I had pickguardian.com make me a single ply cream guard for it and added a dimarzio PAF classic and a 3-way toggle for series/split/parallel wiring.

that guitar is the tits, boots! :love:

• Members
Originally posted by TheDove

Don't get me wrong I love my LP Standard (in lovely honeyburst) and IMHO I think the Les Paul is the best guitar in the world but I just don't like gold tops - am I mad ?
:confused:

No

They had to grow on me.

I kinda wished I'd bought the LP Deluxe in gold when MF was blowing them out for $1500 a while back.

I have a carved arched top Fender Custom Tele Special in Aztec Gold that I think is real nice looking. Same deal basically.

• Members
Originally posted by BootRoots

some of us just appreciate the finer things....

gldtele1.jpg

I've always thought that was, quite possibly, the classiest Tele I've ever seen. Do you have any clips? I have thought about doing something similar; '69 Thinline body & 'guard, dual Gibby-style HBs, 24-3/4" scale, one vol./one tone/3-way/no taps; and I'm curious how that thinline body interacts with a real HB.

Thanks for sharing,
D

• Members
Originally posted by metalheadUK

I never used to like them....for me it was always a 'burst LP.

Then I bought a LP Classic gold top and it is an awesome guitar....I even think the gold sort of suits the Classic piss green inlays that are in it.:

lps2.jpg

LPMarshall2.jpg

If you're interested, it's possible to change the inlays to clear, and they look great. A thread on the Les Paul forum- if you cover the rest of the guitar and leave the inlays out in the sun for a few days, they turn clear.

Oh, and I love Goldtops. One of my dream guitars is a goldtop Les Paul with P90s and a Bigsby.

• Members

Originally posted by Gochaz

If you're interested, it's possible to change the inlays to clear, and they look great. A thread on the Les Paul forum- if you cover the rest of the guitar and leave the inlays out in the sun for a few days, they turn clear.

Oh, and I love Goldtops. One of my dream guitars is a goldtop Les Paul with P90s and a Bigsby.

Yeah, I've read that too.

I'm not really bothered to be honest....I prefer the non green inlays, but I bought it to play so no worries.

Archived