Converters, clocks, etc?

• Members

I need some advice from anyone smarter than me...which is just about everyone.

I am planning on updating my studio computer, a PC and that means I either have to buy a PCIe compatible card for my MOTU interface or buy a new Firewire interface.

I have a digital mixer with ADAT I/O. I don't need mic preamps in an interface.

So, my question is regarding the quality of converters. If I am not needing preamps and simply an ADAT to Firewire converter, does the quality of converters really make that much difference? I record at 24 bit 48K and that fits my needs just fine. Don't need higher resolutions.

Aren't I limited by the quality of converters in my digital mixer?

So, what I basically am asking is this: I can get a fairly new Presonus Firestudio Lightpipe ADAT to Firewire interface for $250. Or I can get a Presonus Firestudio 2626 with 16 channels of ADAT AND mic pres for under $500.. I most likely would not use the mic pre's.

OR should I be concerned about the conversion/clock quality and step up to RME or other big dollar units like a Fireface 800..

Someone help me sort out this out if you would please.

OH... I currently use a MOTU 2408 and can get the PCIe card for it for $300 and just keep the current system I have now. That is also an option.

• Members

If you're using the converters in your digital mixer and sending the signal to your interface via ADAT I/O, then you don't need to worry about the converters in the interface because you aren't using them.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought, but wasn't sure there wasn't more conversion going on from ADAT to Firewire and that the quality of that conversion made any difference.

I think you just saved me a bunch of money.. thanks.

• Members

Yes, I'd get the PCIe card for the MOTU.

There is a difference between converters - MOTU isn't bad, RME or Lynx would probably be a step up, and you can always spend a lot and get better - but it's only one link in the chain.

PCI is still the fastest interface, all else equal.

I'm experimenting with a Presonus Firestudio2626. It's actually very good, but I can't get it operating with as few buffers, for lower latency, as my RME Multiface/PCI

• Members

There is a difference between converters - MOTU isn't bad, RME or Lynx would probably be a step up, and you can always spend a lot and get better - but it's only one link in the chain.

I'm experimenting with a Presonus Firestudio2626. It's actually very good, but I can't get it operating with as few buffers, for lower latency, as my RME Multiface/PCI

Thanks Doug. I thought the Firestudio 2626 might be a good addition simply because it has the analogue I/O just in case I need it. But for now I'll most likely just get the PCIe card for the MOTU.

• Members

FWIW Ive hade the presonus 2626 for several months. I'm happy with the converters. They are a step up from either my Delta T card or Yammy AW4416.

• Members

GZ, what digital board are you using?

And I concur - if you're using a digital board, and the mic preamps on it, and then feeding that to the interface via ADAT lightpipe, then you're using the converters on the board; not the ones on the audio interface.

I have a Soundcraft 328 16 channel digital console. I bought it a year ago after my Mackie 8 bus went to mixer heaven. Huge difference in quality of sound.

Archived