Is some fret buzzing ever OK?

joegrant413

• Members

Today I got my RGA121 back with new pickups (PAF Pro and SuperDistortion, BTW). The guy asked me if I'd like to try so really low action on the guitar. He also explained to me it was easy to use my guitar's fixed bridge to adjust the action up if I didn't like it, so I said go ahead.

Well, very honestly, the guitar sounds very cool, and it's even more ridiculously easy to play. When I'm playing, I do get some fret buzz, but frankly, it doesn't sound all that bad occasionally.

So it this crazy? Should I stop goofing around and move the action up right away? Or should I try to work with the ultra-low action... maybe lightening my right hand technique, trying to enjoy the speed and minimize the buzz.

Any... any of you folks OK with a little buzzin'? :wave:

-- Joe

• Members

If it doesn't bother you and it doesn't comes through the pickups, then don't worry about it.

About the worst problem is you lose some sustain.

What matters is how YOU feel about it.

Personally, I don't set my action anywhere NEAR that low, but that's just me ...

• Members

Originally posted by stanfield

a little buzzing wont hurt anything, BUT you can raise the bridge ever so slightly and get rid of it completely.

loosen the strings

make adjustments in half turns

make the same amount of adjustment on both poles

tune

repeat

Don't forget to check intonation if you choose to raise the action a bit

• Members

There is no way that an electric guitar with low action is not going to buzz a little bit if you play it hard enough. You have to decide (1) how low you want to go with the action for your style, and (2) how much buzzing you will accept to get it that low. In most cases, the decision to go with NO buzzing will require learning to play with a lighter touch.

• Members

Originally posted by DarknessFury

How do you check the intonation?

Intonation is part of a complete set-up.

Simply put, intonation means that the frequencies of the fretted notes are as close as humanly possible to what the frequencies are supposed to be, according to music theory.

The way this is often tested is to compare the 12th-fret first node harmonic (barely touched) to the fretted (fingered) note at the 12th-fret. The position of the harmonic node is moved by adjusting the bridge saddle's distance from the nut, until the fretted note exactly matches the harmonic.

Read up:

http://fender.com/support/setup/index.php

• Members

Play the fretted note & harmonic @ 12th fret. If they match = intonated. Otherwise saddles need to be moved forward or back slightly.

• Members
Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

Fret 'buzz' has always bugged me, and I don't want it on any of my guitars.

I don't have "super low" actions, but with a good plek job I can have the actions set medium low without having to worry about any buzzing.

+1. I set the action as low as I can without buzzing. If you are getting fret buzz you are losing tone and sustain. Also you'll fret out more doing bends unless your frets are very level. A little fret buzz is not a big deal if you're banging out power chords but definately annoying playing low volume, clean or soloing with a little overdrive. To really get your action right you need to adjust the saddles and the truss rod. Be careful with adjusting the truss rod as it will break and you will be {censored}ed.

• Members

Like others have already said. I might add that if you're not gonna be intonating perfectly, it's better to be slightly SHARP than a little flat. It's just more pleasant to the ear. Some horn players even play just a tat sharp to add a little "brillance" to their sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Joegrant,

How much did you pay to have the pickups swapped out? I need to due the same with my RGA121. Did you purchase the pu's 1st then take them somewhere for instalation or did you have it done all at the same place?

• Members

Originally posted by walt0915

If it doesn't bother you and it doesn't comes through the pickups, then don't worry about it.

About the worst problem is you lose some sustain.

What matters is how YOU feel about it.

Personally, I don't set my action anywhere NEAR that low, but that's just me ...

As long as it doesn't come through the amp.

• Members

Gibson sold an SG back in the early 70s they touted 'the fretless wonder' - the nut was real low had super easy action and shipped with some kind of light guage sonomatics - anyhoo, it buzzed like a banshee, but sounded sweet ampped up. I used to play it a lot, since a friend owned one (white 3 pup gold hdw) and really got to liking the sound around the top of the neck, especially open chords. I only play slide these days, but I drop the nut as low as it'll get to get that same buzz - it kills sustain, but sounds fantastic ampped, plus it plays easier and open chords sound better intonated.

• Members

Buzz shmuzz. Don't get all worked up because your electric buzzes. Its the nature of the instrument. Unless you have high action or really heavy strings its gonna buzz. I never met an electric (or an acoustic for that matter) that doesn't buzz.

I have a lot of guitar vids and you can hear the guitars of your heroes buzzing away over the voice mic. Steve Morse...buzz buzz. Robben Ford....buzz buzz. Jimmy Bruno (and he's playing a big jazz box)..the worst buzz of all.

and so on...

DON"T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!

Archived