Cheap Magicstomps at MF

LAracer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by DenverDave

I bought one a year ago from MF, and returned it fairly quickly. Didn't like it - but the blowout prices are pretty dang good...

What didn't you like about it?

Are the effects any good, like the reverb, pitch shifting, etc?

I'm tempted at that price to check it out

• Members

Get them at guitarcenter.com for free shipping. They have them at the blow out price also. Ask your local dealer to match the price, and they will. If they balk ask them to call Yamaha. The local guitar ship did and is going to match the insane price.

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

What didn't you like about it?

Are the effects any good, like the reverb, pitch shifting, etc?

I'm tempted at that price to check it out

the chorus/delay/phaser/flangers are really good - so much in fact that id say they are better than alot of the "common" stompboxes

the thing that turns lots of folks off about them is the PC editing - it is very deep and theres a learning curve to it, or so I heard before I got mine. by day 2 I was editing and storing my patches no problem, as well as downloading some artists (john 5s magicstomp patches rule - especially the gatton one and country lead)

the stereo capabilities is awesome, you can set the multihead delays to bounce in ways that will trip you out (setting them like a drum beat instead of steady in-time repeats). the ping pong is sweet. the reverbs are great but the spring is limited to 1 peremeter (depth)

the ring mod is very tweakable, as well as the pitch shifter.

all in all Id say that if you dont mind tweaking you may find yourself replacing single stompboxes after getting one. the FX are that good. the drive/amp sims overall are weak and raspy except a few clean ones - but FX are its strength. theres patches that sound like cats dying and all kinds of cool crap I just could not put into words.

and the great thing is you can assign what peremters you want the 3 main knobs to operate within any patch. for instace you could have a clean/verb/delay patch and have the knobs control verb depth, D-time and D-mix, or have one set to bring up tremelo depth instead! theres literally a very long list of crap you could assign each knob to when switching through patches (set each knob to gain, master, reverb time, reverb depth, d-time, d-depth, trem mix, trem speed, chorus speed, etc., etc. etc.).

the biggest turnoff for folks is the editing that has to be done by PC if you want to really get inside and mix {censored} up. if you are cool with that its an awesome unit - if not stick to pedals. they are not as tweable by far by are not as much of a headache either.

the mods/delays/trems/compressor/EQs/crazy sounds are really really good quality and make for a seriously useful pedal. Ive got maybe 30 patches saved in 2 weeks with mine, im getting there!

ill come back and post a link to some of the verbs and crazy clips i did with mine last week

• Members

The editing stuff doesn't bother me, I've been used to that deep editing since I got an ART preamp 15 years ago. Doing that via USB/PC sounds like a dream compared to rotating knobs and pushing a bunch of tiny buttons with a teeny LCD screen! :D

• Members

heres some clips guys -

no fancy playing just something to show some of its crazy sounds.

just go down to the clips that say magicstonp________

some are verbs, some are crazy

i need to do some serious clips of its sweet mods & delays. i hate just going on and on about it, but i really do think alot (not all but alot) of its FX are better than single stompboxes that are the common ones, and much better than those FX found in the Pod/XT series modelers.

anyway - heres the page for some of its wierd sounds and a lead sound i edited on my 2nd day with it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=411427

just keep in mind its not for the plug-n-play folks, you gotta tweak patches. but the quality is there in spades, as well as the editing. you can pull up a patch and edit 7-8 pages of peremeters!

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

heres some clips guys -

anyway - heres the page for some of its wierd sounds and a lead sound i edited on my 2nd day with it.

could you tell us the setup you were using for these clips? Was this the magicstomp direct, or did you have some other kind of amp/preamp also?

• Members

Originally posted by jmgruber

Get them at guitarcenter.com for free shipping. They have them at the blow out price also. Ask your local dealer to match the price, and they will. If they balk ask them to call Yamaha. The local guitar ship did and is going to match the insane price.

I ordered one last night. And I did go through www.guitarcenter.com to get the free shipping.

Now where I live both GC and MF charged me sales tax of over 8%, but if you live in a state that has a GC store, but MF doesn't charge you sales tax, then you might want to buy from MF and just have MF match the free shipping deal offered by GC.

P.S.

I had the earlier version (not the II) sent to me as a "fee gift" this last January for buying the Yamaha RGXA2. But I had to return it because on of the buttons didn't work. And then MF was out of stock, so I got a credit back instead.

But I thought it was a good pedal. Now I wouldn't expect it to compete with my Vox ToneLab or other higher end processors, but hey for 80 bucks, the price of one decent foot pedal, you get the essentials, reverb, delay, chorus, flange, OD, distortion etc and with 99 preset to screw around with.

It also comes with its own AC adaptor, so I'll probaby just leave it hooked up to one of my smaller amps that are strewn throughout my house.

My wife sometimes says I need to rethink my sense of interior decorating. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

On that crazy sounds clip, starting right at :11 seconds. Which effect was that? Crazy coolness!
:D

the "farty" one that ended around 11 is the tractor effect, right after that starting around 11 seconds is a space effect - some distortion with a phase of sorts i believe. and by the way for any patch that contains an amp sim (clean 1, clean 2, drive 1&2, distortion, lead 1&2, fuzz, etc.) you can change it to something else and turn on/off other FX.

for the clips I was using a stock beatup american deluxe strat, no preamps or anything that was direct guitar>MS>PC

i wish id have flipped pickups on that chorus/verb patch...its too bright and does not do that patch justice, when i flip to bridge/middle its heaven!

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I ordered one last night. And I did go through
www.guitarcenter.com
to get the free shipping.

Now where I live both GC and MF charged me sales tax of over 8%, but if you live in a state that has a GC store, but MF doesn't charge you sales tax, then you might want to buy from MF and just have MF match the free shipping deal offered by GC.

P.S.

I had the earlier version (not the II) sent to me as a "fee gift" this last January for buying the Yamaha RGXA2.

I thought it was a good pedal. Now I wouldn't expect it to compete with my Vox ToneLab or other higher end processors, but hey for 80 bucks, the price of one decent foot pedal, you get the essentials, reverb, delay, chorus, flange, OD, distortion etc and with 99 preset to screw around with.

It also comes with its own AC adaptor, so I'll probaby just leave it hooked up to one of my smaller amps that are strewn throughout my house.

My wife sometimes says I need to rethink my sense of interior decorating.
:D

hey man, as far as just the FX and filters I do hold it up against a tonelab anyday - but for amps and driven sounds theres no contest vox wins. but the FX really are killer on the magicstomp

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

This is what I'm thinking of using it for as well. I mean I have like 25 different stomp boxes, 3 different rackmount delays and two rack mount reverbs, but this would be nice to leave out and mess around with! :D

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

hey man, as far as just the FX and filters I do hold it up against a tonelab anyday - but for amps and driven sounds theres no contest vox wins. but the FX really are killer on the magicstomp

That's probably true. I was talking a little loosely there and do consider the FX part of the ToneLab to be so so and it's the amp modeling and cabinet modeling that makes the ToneLab a superb unit for a mere 3 bills

I just edited my last post above to explain that I had to send the magicstomp box back because it had one scrolling button that didn't work and MF couldn't send me another. So I didn't get a lot of time with that unit, but I was impressed that it had a lot going for it for such a small compact unit.

+ an adaptor folks!! That's worth almost $20 right there.

• Members

Originally posted by hollowbox

How do the basic effects rate compared to say "Boss" pedals? Is their tone suckage?

there is a light tone sucking when the unit is on that I would equate to 1 boss pedal. thats why i have not really used many boss pedals over the years - theres some i really like but when stringing 3-4 together if i dont have a buffer running it drives me crazy!

so like i was saying, there is some light high end missing - but to me its not as intense as running 3-4 boss's together. and when i run a clean boost in front its out of the picture.

im not saying this pedal will replace all your FX pedals - and its not made for tweaking on the fly. but it has the potential to cover most all your FX needs (including filters) if you tweak everything at home and have the patches set to work with you. you can just have a patch with just chorus, next one phase, next one flange (and so-on)

and then set each knob to control those FXs peremters live - like knob 1: chorus depth knob2: chorus speed knob 3: chorus delay

anyway - it could work well live with preplanning

Archived