How cold can my studio get

• Members

While most electronics have warnings about storing above and below certain temps, I believe the reality is those temps are more related to functional ambient temps. My laptop has been left in my truck and got very cold a great number of times, I just let it warm up naturally at proper room temperatures before turning it on. Can't say I know about vacuum tubes or other things, but most standard electronics can get well below the standard 60 degree safety warning. I would avoid humidity in the cold as that may lead to internal frozen condensation.

• Members

Condensation is not a problem (I have a dehumidifier for the room).

As for cold...well that is the point of the question. In order to keep my cost down I am going to heat it as little as possible.

Fortunatly the studio is in the third story of my house (since heat rises it will get some heat that way without the heater zone being on).

My goal is to eventualy have a green studio (heated and all electricity being supplied by solar power).:thu:

• Members

Thank you. I think I will keep it at 50, and then turn the temperature up before I plan on working in there.

I was afraid to let it get too cold so that it would break something. This will help me keep my costs down so that I can continue to keep my costs down for my clients.

• Members

I have 10' ceilings in my room 30'x30' and heat it with two 8' Electric (220V) Baseboard Units. I also have 3 ceiling fans which circulate the air and keep the heat evenly distributed. Works very well and I have the two baseboard units set to low and it stays around 70. Very well insulated and my electric bill runs about $40 - $50 more when I fire them up in the winter. I know you just recently moved in to the new place, is it insulated good ? If so, a couple ceiling fans (quiet ones) are a real help. Since your in the attic I imagine your talking at least 10' to the rafters.

• Members

I have 10' ceilings in my room 30'x30' and heat it with two 8' Electric (220V) Baseboard Units. I also have 3 ceiling fans which circulate the air and keep the heat evenly distributed. Works very well and I have the two baseboard units set to low and it stays around 70. Very well insulated and my electric bill runs about $40 - $50 more when I fire them up in the winter. I know you just recently moved in to the new place, is it insulated good ? If so, a couple ceiling fans (quiet ones) are a real help. Since your in the attic I imagine your talking at least 10' to the rafters.

Well I just moved in. This is not in the attic (this is a huge 3 story house). The room is double insulated (which is awsome). This house even has each floor insulated! The room also has a quiet celing fan.

Do you have a brand name or model number on the heating units? I am looking into getting some solar panels which may help to power a low energy using heaters.

• Members

In reality, electronic equipment likes cold a lot better than heat. Temperatures as low as freezing should not hurt electronics as long as condensation isn't an issue.

Ever had your radio in your car fail to work after sub freezing days?

Good point, but my car radio does not have tubes.

• Members

Well I just moved in. This is not in the attic (this is a huge 3 story house). The room is double insulated (which is awsome). This house even has each floor insulated! The room also has a quiet celing fan.

Do you have a brand name or model number on the heating units? I am looking into getting some solar panels which may help to power a low energy using heaters.

I got them at Lowes which is like Home Depot. Not sure if you have any Lowes in your area. But Home Depot will carry them. As far as brand goes they seem to always change and baseboard units are pretty generic. My whole house is electric heat (220V) also and when compared to others who use fuel oil or gas, Im glad I am all electric. The walls you place the baseboard units against actually hold the heat too, which is an extra bonus. Many think they get hot enough to catch stuff on fire, but they dont. Now those little electric 110V space heaters will !!!

Id love to put up a wind turbine myself, For 10k I could get one that would supply my whole house and then some. Im situated in a good zone too (wind wise). 60' up would get me turning consistantly. But then I wonder how noisey they are ? :)

• Members

Good point, but my car radio does not have tubes.

I would not worry about tubes... btw car radios had tubes before solid state, so did airplanes. Tube guitar amps are not rocket science. we used let them loaded in a station wagon all the time in michigan over night when it was zero... load in and fire them up. combo organs didnt like it though. had them go on the fritz a few times from being cold soaked. The vox was basically a piece of {censored} when it came to the cold.

Archived