Wiring for GFS Dream 90?!

atmu

• Members

My dream 90's just came in. They each have 3 wires: red, white, and bare.

The wiring diagrams included with both are for single coils. They only tell where 2 wires go.

#1 - Hot: White, Red, or Yellow

#2 - Ground: Black

I don't have a black wire, nor does the diagram say where the bare goes.

Am I noob? :(

• Members

Originally posted by atmu

My dream 90's just came in. They each have 3 wires: red, white, and bare.

The wiring diagrams included with both are for single coils. They only tell where 2 wires go.

#1 - Hot: White, Red, or Yellow

#2 - Ground: Black

I don't have a black wire, nor does the diagram say where the bare goes.

Am I noob?
:(

IIRC, red is hot white is ground. The bare wire also goes to ground. You can solder both the ground wire and the bare wire to the back of a pot

email Jay at GuitarFetish. He'll help you for sure

• Members

I had no end of aggro getting this info for my Dream 90s - but here goes...

The black wire is the main wire (I think this is the one you mean by bare), then there's the red and white. After mailing Jay umpteen times, and asking over at the FDP, I was finally told to use white for hot, and solder black and red to ground.

I did this, and while both p'ups sounded OK on their own, the middle position was really weedy sounding (either in or out of phase, I always get them muddled up). So, I used white for hot one one p'up, red for hot on the other (it doesn't matter which is which), and this worked great. Other people over at the FDP have had to do the same thing.

As for which way round they go, the GFS stamp on the baseplate goes towards the bridge. Hope this helps, I love them...

• Members

Originally posted by benecol

The black wire is the main wire (I think this is the one you mean by bare), then there's the red and white. After mailing Jay umpteen times, and asking over at the FDP, I was finally told to use white for hot, and solder black and red to ground.

I did this, and while both p'ups sounded OK on their own, the middle position was really weedy sounding (either in or out of phase, I always get them muddled up). So, I used white for hot one one p'up, red for hot on the other (it doesn't matter which is which), and this worked great. Other people over at the FDP have had to do the same thing.

As for which way round they go, the GFS stamp on the baseplate goes towards the bridge. Hope this helps, I love them...

What you've done is what I was going to suggest. My Strat size GFS lippys have the same three different coloured wires, and the wiring diagram shows white in neck and bridge as hot, others to ground, and in middle red as hot and others to ground. My understanding is this is part of the whole reverse-polarity thang to cut out the hum when you're using inbetween sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

What you've done is what I was going to suggest. My Strat size GFS lippys have the same three different coloured wires, and the wiring diagram shows white in neck and bridge as hot, others to ground, and in middle red as hot and others to ground. My understanding is this is part of the whole reverse-polarity thang to cut out the hum when you're using inbetween sounds.

How are the "lippys"?

• Members

Originally posted by benecol

Thanks dude that helps a lot. I didn't alternate the leads (one red, one white), which is probably why I dont get any hum cancelling in the middle toggle position. Jay also emailed me saying something about how the silver bare is the "case" and will be quieter in some guitars if you dont ground it.

Archived