Has anyone used this foam before?

• Members

http://www.foamandupholstery.com/Noise%20Control%20Products.htm

My friend picked up some of their stuff and claims it really helped him room (he spent about $100) but I'm somewhat skeptical. I'm going to try to go check it out at his place sometime soon, but I think this might be a really good bargain for my work studio, which is a lot harder to treat.

• Members

Other than some esoteric crazy foam, in general foam will simply not have the mass/density to deal with low frequencies. Some of that Auralex stuff might get down to 300Hz, but that's about it. The $$$ effecient way to deal with bass is to build basstraps out of rigid fiberglass. it's also the most space effecient way unless you get into some hardcore engineering.

• Members

Other than some esoteric crazy foam, in general foam will simply not have the mass/density to deal with low frequencies. Some of that Auralex stuff might get down to 300Hz, but that's about it. The $$$ effecient way to deal with bass is to build basstraps out of rigid fiberglass. it's also the most space effecient way unless you get into some hardcore engineering.

Unfortunately, it's not space efficient at my teaching studio, but at home it would be fine.

• Members

unfortunately there is no miracle small size solution to bass trapping, it's simple physics to an extent. Mega-lenrds from auralex work decently but as mentioned above, rigid panel products will be your best bet.

At my teaching studio there are only three corners in the entire room I could treat with the panels, but I could squeeze a bit of foam quite a few more. I'm actually building panels for my home studio with a friend, but I just can't have them here. :(

• Moderators

not the good ones that work.

www.realtraps.com

Lots of great nformation and videos on accoustical treatment.

The site is great.

The standard RealTraps don't absorb as much low bass as Auralex MegaLenrds. I think Ethan has some larger traps now but I've not tried them. The regular 12" Lenrds are not very effective at absorbing down to where most small rooms have bass modes, e.g. ~100Hz or lower.

There's nothing wrong with acoustic foam provided it's thick enough to absorb down to the frequencies where you need absorption.

Terry D.

Archived