Rode NTK

• Members

Anyone else use one? I'd got one a couple of weeks back and I really love it....moreso after the tube burn in time. It works great on acoustic guitar. There's a slight notch in the upper mids, but to my ears, the width of the Q is narrower than alot of other mics in that frequency range, so it has a more relaxed sound in the upper mids, I think.

• Members

I have one. I use it a lot. Benefits greatly from a preamp with really smooth highs and a big transformer sound (ie. GT Brick, 610, etc.). It's very finicky about tubes so just beware if you ever have to change the tube for any reason. It's a good mic that gets unfairly bashed because it doesn't like cheap preamps.

• Members

I have the K2 and have used the NTK as well. The best inexpensive upgrade you can make for these mics is to change the tube. You can go for Cryo treated or a NOS tube, but I've had great success with using an E-H Gold 6922 in these mics.

It is a very simple procedure. I get my tubes from "Tube Depot"

www.tubedepot.com For an extra $4 they offer a "low noise and microphonics" test. So for about $16.95 you can get a noticeable improvement. To my ears it has a much smoother low end and less "spitty" high end. With the E-H installed.

A NOS Amperex, Mullard or Telefunken tube sill cost anywhere from $130 and up. Is the difference that huge? IMHO it's the law of diminishing returns...

• Members

I have the K2 and have used the NTK as well. The best inexpensive upgrade you can make for these mics is to change the tube. You can go for Cryo treated or a NOS tube, but I've had great success with using an E-H Gold 6922 in these mics.

It is a very simple procedure. I get my tubes from "Tube Depot"

www.tubedepot.com
For an extra $4 they offer a "low noise and microphonics" test. So for about $16.95 you can get a noticeable improvement. To my ears it has a much smoother low end and less "spitty" high end. With the E-H installed.

A NOS Amperex, Mullard or Telefunken tube sill cost anywhere from $130 and up. Is the difference that huge? IMHO it's the law of diminishing returns...

The EH Gold is really good? I was thinking about buying a few of those for my regular guitar amps, too.

Has anyone switched to a different type of tube? Like a 12AY7 or 12AT7 or something?

I haven't tried a K2, but some have said that they like it more than the NTK.

Archived