• Members

Somebody school me on S/PDIF. What can i do with this?

It's a digital bridge between two SP/DIF devices. Imagine a CD player with SP/DIF out and a computer recording through it's SP/DIF in. The transfer between the two would be digital. If your CD player had only an analogue out (RCA's or whatever..) and your computer only analogue in, then you would be converting from a digital source (the CD) back to analogue with the CD players D/A convertors (digital to analogue!) to the A/D (analogue to digital) of the computer to reproduce the recording. The degradation in those two processes will take a toll on the audio quality, even using more expensive equipment..

• Members

If you've got a small-ish interface, like an Mbox2, S/PDIF essentially allows you to DOUBLE your inputs without buying a new interface. Just get a 2-channel preamp with S/PDIF outputs, and you've now got a 4-input system.

The Apogee Mini-Me was an AWESOME Mbox companion. Now it is no more...sad.

It is pretty Pro Tools specific, but it does cover a fair amount about digital I/O (including S/PDIF), word clocking (essential to get "right" when using a digital interface such as S/PDIF to connect / transfer audio between two devices) as well as some of the things you can use S/PDIF for.

Bj2J4SDSpDs

• Members

HEY BRO

This
is also fairly Pro-Tools specific, but it should be required viewing for any recording engineer.

He doesn't mention S/PDIF specifically, but one assumes it would make your source sound flat as a plancake. Pancake.

WHOA :facepalm: That was interesting. Did you watch the one on Behringer Converters? Seems like they are hard to find some that work but when you do they stay working and are CHEAP!!! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived