Mix suggestions, please

• Moderators

Here's my old band I formed in high school playing a song I wrote 31 years ago. We're regrouped and recording the stuff we broke up too soon to record. We all split to separate music careers but remained best buddies.

Now, F L U K E is back! :) And bald with glasses. Anyway, I'm going for sort of an early XTC Joe Jackson Band thing modernized. Any suggestions on the mix direction?

[YOUTUBE]ycS-LWgMd0E[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

HEY BRO

Sounds great! The bass (as in frequency range) sounds really good, even in a YouTube clip. The drum sounds are phenomenal.

I'm not exactly the best audio engineer in the world, so maybe it's just me, but do the dynamics get a little goofy on the "please don't open the freakin' blinds" part?

Only other thing I noticed was a typo in the lyrics at 0:40 ("in in").

:wave:

• Moderators

HEY BRO

Sounds great! The bass (as in frequency range) sounds really good, even in a YouTube clip. The drum sounds are phenomenal.

I'm not exactly the best audio engineer in the world, so maybe it's just me, but do the dynamics get a little goofy on the "please don't open the freakin' blinds" part?

Only other thing I noticed was a typo in the lyrics at 0:40 ("in in").

:wave:

Hmmmm. There's a vocal double on that part. It that making it sound weird? Does it get louder you mean? I'll listen again.

Thanks man.

• Members

Hmmmm. There's a vocal double on that part. It that making it sound weird? Does it get louder you mean? I'll listen again.

Thanks man.

HEY BRO

I thought it sounded like the instruments dropped out a bit. But like I said, it could just be me, or it could be crappy YouTube encoding. :wave:

• Moderators

but do the dynamics get a little goofy on the "please don't open the freakin' blinds" part?

Got it got it got it! Yes. I hear it now, that is a great observation and one easy to miss with a piece of music so close to me for so many years.

It needs a B3 swooping up on those, "Please open the...." and holding a fast Leslie pad and then out when the the band tightens up with "My love is..." and also the single note heavy guitar to come up in those sections. Yep.

Good catch. Thanks!

• Members

Got it got it got it! Yes. I hear it now, that is a great observation and one easy to miss with a piece of music so close to me for so many years.

It needs a B3 swooping up on those, "Please open the...." and holding a fast Leslie pad and then out when the the band tightens up with "My love is..." and also the single note heavy guitar to come up in those sections. Yep.

Good catch. Thanks!

NO PROBLEM BRO!

On the whole, I'd kill to get my mixes sounding as good as that :wave:

• Members

Sounds great.

With that vocal Im reminded of the Bob Welch sound from his F. Mac days.

You could possibly take the mix a bit more in that direction. (More,longer, darker verb and more geetar sweetness).

The vox seems way up front. (However, Im on laptop speaks at the moment)

31 years ago. You mean in 1979???? ROCK AND ROLL dude!

• Moderators

Sounds great.

With that vocal Im reminded of the Bob Welch sound from his F. Mac days.

You could possibly take the mix a bit more in that direction. (More,longer, darker verb and more geetar sweetness).

The vox seems way up front. (However, Im on laptop speaks at the moment)

31 years ago. You mean in 1979???? ROCK AND ROLL dude!

I think you're right about the vocal being too up front. And more cut on the gits. I hadn't thought of any long warm plate for the vocal. That's worth a shot in a addition to the tight ambient setting that's there now. Thanks for the ideas.

• Members

I listened briefly on Bose computer monitors, and the mix generally sounded quite good, Lee. I would agree that the voice is really up front, but I wouldn't lower it too much more, though...seems to sound good that way.

I don't remember how the guitars sounded. The rhythm section seemed to fit together and groove from what I remember.

• Moderators

I must say that was a great mix and a song for a band that took a 31 year hiatus! What type of setup are you using to record and mix this material? Any special studio techniques? Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Nicholas

Hey thanks! It's a Digi 003. API A2D pres and convertion. Aphex ADAT converter. Urei/JBL pres (cost me 150 bucks for 20 conference style Urei pres and they smoke!). Octava 012 OHs Glyn Johns style. D112 on the floor tom. 414 on the rack. RE20 kick. 57 snare. RE20 and U87 vocals. Fathead on guitar, 87 or Fathead for guitar room. The usual suspects. RadialDI bass (flats with pick on a Jazz). A cheap rusted out Sunlite drum kit reheaded and tuned. Blumlien Fatheads for drum room squashed with Massey. No verb, only room mics. Actually an ambience setting from the Waves convo verb on voice. I think it was a bright plate IR I tightened way up. Mostly Massey compression and limiting. Har Bal to master eq.

And an 18' tall living roon with a concrete floor!! :)

• Members

Great stuff here Lee! Personally, I wouldn't bring the vocal down in level at all...if you wanted to play with a teeny bit more verb to push the vox back a hair I guess I could see that, but I really like the way they sound right now.

If I was going to push anything back a bit, it would probably be the snare. And I wouldn't adjust it by much, but perhaps just a touch of verb to bring it back ever so slightly.

The song and the mix are killer. The Joe Jackson-ish thing is really working. LOVE it!

Archived