• Members

My curiosity finally got the best of me and I picked up a v67g for 100 bucks. Although it isn't breathtaking it is certainly not doo doo. I was pretty pleasantly surprised with it. Good Highs, pretty tight lows. For the money i think it's a pretty quality mic to have another LDC laying around.

A friend of mine who only does bedroom demo'ing brought over a few MXL's he had and for giggles I threw them on a drum kit and recorded some stuff with only the MXL's. Pretty surprised with how they performed. Like I said before, not replacing any of my go to mics but definitely a nice price point to quality ratio.

• Members

I picked up one of the older ones used several years ago. Cant remember the model off hand.

Its got a very transparent sound with a crisp high end and constructed well. Havent had any problems with it so far after 10 years. I dont consider it to have a very unique charecture or tone to it, but it gets most jobs done and pretty decent mic for the cost. They do have quite a selection of models now and I'm sure they have their budget lines as well as some higher end ones.

I prefer the V67i, which is a bit more expensive, but not that much more... I like the dual voiced, dual capsules (front and back)... but IIRC, the V67G is basically the same mic with just the "warm" capsule (and no "bright" capsule). I definitely prefer the "warm" side of the V67i... but if you have a limited mic selection available, that dual capsule V67i can definitely give you two different "sounds" on the cheap.

My main beef is the thin head grille - you can dent it very easily. Outside of that, for $100-150, there's really nothing to complain about IMO.

Archived