Rode NT5's or NT1's for overheads?

• Members

You're in the enviable position of owning both, so I would slap up each and see what works in your room with your kit. Personally, I would go for the NT5s. I think they'll be a little more neutral sounding. The NT1s could be too bright with a little too much harsh cymbal hash. But you'll never know until you try.

You're in the enviable position of owning both, so I would slap up each and see what works in your room with your kit. Personally, I would go for the NT5s. I think they'll be a little more neutral sounding. The NT1s could be too bright with a little too much harsh cymbal hash. But you'll never know until you try.

I'd say that this is excellent advice. If you already have both, then nothing is going to beat giving them both a try and seeing what YOU prefer. :)

Having said that, I generally prefer small diaphragm condenser mikes in close, and larger ones when placed further out. I am also not a fan of overhead mikes with a lot of high frequency boost to them... but that depends on the medium we're tracking to, the sound of the room and the kit, etc. For example, I used to love the old AKG 451EB on overheads when tracking to analog tape, but I find them too bright when going to digital... YMMV.

• Members

I am also not a fan of overhead mikes with a lot of high frequency boost to them... but that depends on the medium we're tracking to, the sound of the room and the kit, etc. For example, I used to love the old AKG 451EB on overheads when tracking to analog tape, but I find them too bright when going to digital... YMMV.

Definitely makes a difference, doesn't it? I found that I kept rolling off the highs on the overheads anyway, so I've just gone with more neutral sounding mics.

Archived