Cool Squier mod project...Vintage Vibe...

espgold

• Members

Well, I know this post will expose my stupidity (sickness?) as I've spent easily 3 X what this guitar is worth just for a fun project that prolly won't get played after a few months, BUT.....

I think it looks cool, kinda unique, and I looove me some cheap guitar projects

Behold the 1990 MIK Squier II. Ply body, great neck: As I found it

1212146imgck7.jpg

Hardware stripped, holes filled for new Wilkinson bridge and chrome pup ring

1212147imgwm2.jpg

New Vintage Vibe blade pups and new chrome mounting rings all around

1212149imghq2.jpg

All strung up w/ Elixir 10's

1212153imgfj8.jpg

I replaced all hardware except the output jack. Still need to set it up but it does play pretty well right now. Next, I'll find a deserving body(needs to be normal strat thickness to accomodate the Wilky) and switch everything over.

Coupla more pics :rolleyes:

1212150imgjk9.th.jpg1212151imgxc5.th.jpg1212155imgpp0.th.jpg1212158imgsj4.th.jpg1212154imgmk9.th.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by lowbrow

My kinda project. Well done sir! Sooo....why switch out the body? You want a pickguard?

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by espgold

Next, I'll find a deserving body(needs to be normal strat thickness to accomodate the Wilkinson trem)

;)

• Members

i just started on the same guitar last night as a project.. all i got are before pictures....

SquireStratocasterII.jpg

as you can see it was a stickered up mess. and the neck pickup had been poorly routed to humbucker size.. i filled in the neck and middle positions and am painting it now.. tonite i will be wet sanding the body down.. i will try and post pics when i am done.. the bodies kinda stink but the necks are awesome. hope mine looks nice as yours when done

• Members

Originally posted by 6down1togo

Nice! What did you paint it with? Looks gorgeous.

I bought an ebay Affinity that was supposed to be mint and actually had a half dozen dings. I was thinking white pearl too.

Shoot it from a can? ... base coat/clearcoat?

This is the finish it came with, dings and all. It's a nice looking pearl white metallic. I gotta go to the hobby store for some touch up paint. Paint job is thin , too, although most likely for cost purposes than tone ;)

• Members

What's with the rolleyes? I think that body looks cool, I can understand wanting something more trad looking, but still...curious as to his thinking is all...

I understand your ? I like the body a lot with no guard...wouldn't be the same with one. The finish is cool, too. The only issue is the steel trem block which comes just flush with the back of the body with the springs protruding.

I don't mind going without the rear trem cover, but I've already ruined a couple of shirts due to "spring rub" :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by espgold

I understand your ? I like the body a lot with no guard...wouldn't be the same with one. The finish is cool, too. The only issue is the steel trem block which comes just flush with the back of the body with the springs protruding.

I don't mind going without the rear trem cover, but I've already ruined a couple of shirts due to "spring rub"
:mad:

Bummer! You know....have you considered taking it to the local machine shop and asking them to take 0.050" (or whatever) off the bottom of the block for you? Wouldn't remove too much weight from the block and would probably only cost you $15 or $20. They might even do it while you wait...

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

Is the bridge pickup a humbucker, or a humbucker-sized single coil?

:confused:

Single coil, Dougy...

Actually, I wish now that I had Pete overwind this one a little bit. It's slightly lower output than the other two, but still cuts nicely enough.

Neck and Middle = 5.8 K

Bridge = 6.7 K

Then again, Pete was nice enough to ship a set of ceramic mags to swap into this pickup, which could give me a touch more oomph :thu:

• Members

Bummer! You know....have you considered taking it to the local machine shop and asking them to take 0.050" (or whatever) off the bottom of the block for you? Wouldn't remove too much weight from the block and would probably only cost you $15 or $20. They might even do it while you wait...

Yeah...my original plan was to do it myself...grinder, file, re-drill...I still might.

I just bought a new PA and I need to recoup some cash. Don't need to be looking for more projects :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by D34dBaWx

i just started on the same guitar last night as a project.. all i got are before pictures....

SquireStratocasterII.jpg
as you can see it was a stickered up mess. and the neck pickup had been poorly routed to humbucker size.. i filled in the neck and middle positions and am painting it now.. tonite i will be wet sanding the body down.. i will try and post pics when i am done.. the bodies kinda stink but the necks are awesome. hope mine looks nice as yours when done

Great project guitars...you can totally F up the body and still be left with a sweet neck for not a lot of money :D

What color is it gonna be? Post pics, fer sure!

• Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

Nice job espgold.
:thu:

If you don't mind me asking, what does Pete charge for those pickups? And is that hb sized number have basic P90 architecture except with a plate (blade) sandwiched between to magnets instead of pole pieces?

THanks axegrinder....the two SC sized pickups were $55 each. The hum sized one was $70.

I'd guess that this bridge pup is a lot like his P-90, but I haven't taken it apart...yet.

I may stick the ceramic magnets on there and see if it gets any hotter.

All of these pickups sound fantastic, esp the neck and middle, which remind me of some old Bill Lawrence blades I have...BIG ROUND tone, clear and full. The middle pickup is killer on it's own and that's a position I never seem to like.

Still fiddlin' :cool:

Archived